585,597 active members*
3,042 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Problem. Losing power (strenght) when set to more than 60% power.

Problem. Losing power (strenght) when set to more than 60% power.

I have a BODOR laser with tube RECI 90W. I have this problem for a while.
    Laser has no power up to 30%, and starts to lower above 60%. I changed the power supply, but this didn't help, problem stays. At 20 % current meter shows 4 mA, at 50% - 12 mA, at 95% - 26 mA.
    They tell me it might be a problem with the tube. It worked only 100 hours but it's 6 years old.
    I will attach a picture with a test I made using different percentage power at 10 mm/s speed, so you see what I mean, if I was not good enough in explanation.
    Did anyone had a problem like this. What do you think is the tube the problem, or there might be another reason?
    I would really appreciate your help.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	451993

Re: Problem. Losing power (strenght) when set to more than 60% power.

Quote Originally Posted by martin_av View Post
    I have a BODOR laser with tube RECI 90W. I have this problem for a while.
    Laser has no power up to 30%, and starts to lower above 60%. I changed the power supply, but this didn't help, problem stays. At 20 % current meter shows 4 mA, at 50% - 12 mA, at 95% - 26 mA.
    They tell me it might be a problem with the tube. It worked only 100 hours but it's 6 years old.
    I will attach a picture with a test I made using different percentage power at 10 mm/s speed, so you see what I mean, if I was not good enough in explanation.
    Did anyone had a problem like this. What do you think is the tube the problem, or there might be another reason?
    I would really appreciate your help.

If you do a raw beam laser burn into clear plastic (prior to a mirror), then if the shape (mode) of the beam is bad (not a hill shape), then the gas is bad (consumed, leaked out over six years, contaminated, etc.) and you need a replacement tube. This photo show what a bad mode example looks like, with the laser gas consumed. It is from a RECI 150 watt laser. In this video, I am doing a mode burn into a block of acrylic.