585,931 active members*
5,603 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > Who works in manufacturing. programming or machining

View Poll Results: Who works in manufacturing, machinist or programer, both

Voters
1442. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do it all, program, setup and run a CNC machine daily.

964 66.85%
  • I setup & run a machine, but I dont do much/any programming.

98 6.80%
  • All I do is program CNC machines.

151 10.47%
  • Im into CNC as hobby right now. It is not how I earn a living.

261 18.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 11 45678
    Im 30, been working for my friends family making oem machines that spiral slice meat since I was fresh out of high school. Currently, I run the shop from machining to fabricating. I would love to sit on some Caribbean beach and send generated g-code to clients and get paid well for doing so.

been machining for about 2 weeks now

Whats up guys? I've been machining for 12 years and programing for 11 years. I have been writing programs for Cnc Swiss Lathe "Citizen and Nomura" for 11 years now. I just dont wirte them I also set them up.

I have been running manual mills&lathes for 24 years and have been programing and running cnc mills with proto-trak control for about 8 years

Hi. I've just finished my 50th year as a machinist last September. Things sure have changed! I started CNC programming and machining in 1977, and still doing it. I'm starting to reduce my hours at my day job, and doing consulting and tutoring instead.
    Answer to poll: I do it all.
    Harry

I don't know how to answer, I've ran, programmed, and taken products from design to finished product many times, I currently work as a process engineer for a truck equipment mfg co.
    One project I helped with was a process that took customers order info from our business software and configured an Inventor model that then generated automatic dxf creation for use by the nesting software and ultimately to the cnc equipment. We use a machining center, burn table, 3 plasma tables (one hydef), turret punching and brakes that all use cnc.
    Now most of my design, programming and running of cnc equipment is top secret government work early in the morning, breaks, and lunch time.

Hi Guys Is anybody out there familiar with PROTO-TRAK MX3 programming? Thats all I've ever ran. How is it compared to other programming controls?

I've been machining since '64 and prog'mg. since '84. Acramatics to Matrix controls with many no longer in existance, in between. 2, 3, 4 and 5 axis. Love doing it when things work out and hate being as stupid as I quite often feel. For the most part it has been good. I particularlly like going from "A to Z" on a project, before releasing something to production, so I do it all, most all the time. I am currently working for a mining equip. company, but have worked for the packageing, logging and work holding industries. I have also worked for R. K. LeBlond, American Tool Works and Yamazaki Mazak. I still enjoy it work.

Hi all,

I am 30 and doing designing and programming for molds since 8 years now. good to see a poll like this. have a nice weekend ahead.
    Ananth Kulkarni
    THE GREATEST OAK WAS ONCE A NUT WHO HELD ITS GROUND

I just got lucky!

I was a lowly manual operator since '88 and eventually moved to the shop's CNCs in '04 after first moving to Florida in '03 then coming back. Our programmer was not degreed and not very good with the employees. He tried to leverage them so they sent him back out on the floor. They asked me, because of tests we took, to take over so I did. Now I am the programmer, application tech, machine/tooling purchaser, trainer, IT, ...

It's hectic but I have a good time. I don't get to run the machines anymore and I miss that sometimes.

I started drafting abut 25 years ago. Started doing 3D die work for forging and then product design for forging and tooling, riding the CAD wave since 1985 or so. Now doing tooling design, FEA, CAM, mostly in Pro-E, and testing in Vericut for tooling and electrode milling. Discovered home-built CNC when thinking about buying a compucarve machine last year to make wooden gears, and do some v-carving. (chip carving).

Took my machine tech here in Alberta 2004/05. Been doing all 3 on Okuma lathes for the last 1.5 years - short run production usually 10-30 parts, 17-4, 316, Nitronic, BeCu. Do my own projects on the Haas mills when there's time - just made my first neat 3D part - used lofted surfaces in MasterCAM. It was so much fun I'm buying a minimill!

Started out in Assembly 10 years ago.
    Got put on horizontal mill because someone called in sick, ended up doing first setup after 2 months.
    Been programming via MasterCam for mills for 6 years.

Currently working in private aerospace.

I have been in the industry operating, programming, and conventional machining for 17 years. I am now starting my second year as an instructor at a Tech Center.

Started operating almost 15 years ago. Did that for a couple years then moved onto programming. Been prgramming for about 12-13 years now. Not a bad gig.

i m in to this field since 1993 now i m working as a works manager in mould making company..i have total experience of resurch and development of enginearing and plastic components. i have more then 13yrs experience of working on cnc machines like cnc turning centre and vertical m/c centre and horizontal m/c centre with fanuc, seimens and fagore and philips control. and cad cam software also..
    bye to everyone
    take care always
    Parveen from india

Smile Just kind of fell into it

I have been machining for around 17 years. I started using mastercam version 3 at Mira Costa college. I was working at big o tires and was offered a job in a small machine shop at 5 bucks and hour. I am making around 6.50 now so it has really paid off for me. I love what I do and I love being able to manufacture parts that people say cannot be made.

Peace out yo! <-- my son says that's the cool way to say bye.

I HAVE CNC MACHINE SHOP FOR LAST 30 YEARS.THAT IS ALL I MAKE LIVING FROM FOR
    ALL THOSE YEARS.FANUC CONTROLED MACHINING CENTERS (KITAMURAS AND MORI SEIKIS)I PROGRANM SETUP RUN MACHINES. I DO EWERYTHING I NEED TO DO IN THIS COMPERATIVE BUSSINES.LAST FEW YEARS I GOT REAL HELP FOR CHANGE, MY SON.THAT FINALY LEAVES ME FREE TIME TO GET INVOLVED IN NEW THINGS.I PROGRAM FOR ALL THOSE YEARS USING EZ CAM 2 1/2 AXIS SYSTEM AND IT IS SINMPLE BUT VERY LIMITED.NOW IA AM SWITCHING TOP MASTERCAM X LEVEL 3.THAT IS NEW BALL GAME.I STARTED MACHINING SOLID MODELS AND BASICLY NOW I AM AFTER THAT TYPE OF WORK.IF ENYONE NEEDS PERSON LIKE ME TO WORK WITH PLEASE LET ME KNOE.I
    ALWAYS BEEN INTO MILLING TYPE OF OPPERATIONS.I CONSIDER MYSELF A PROFESIONAL IN WHAT I DO.

REQARDS TO EVERYONE

EMAIL IS [email protected]

Profesional? Or Professional?

MB TECHNOLOGIES
    "I CONSIDER MYSELF A PROFESIONAL IN WHAT I DO."

I do not conceder going into the classifieds and posting trash talk about an item to be to professional. For your information My wife had a major heart attack and the only reason I was selling the software is, I need the money for hospital bills. Thank you for ensuring I can help her pay some bills by posting negative comments about my item. Oh and it was your first post I see.

Aksess,
    I'm sorry about your wife, I hope everything turns out well.
    However, I'm a bit mystified about your post...what trash talk?
    Harry

Page 6 of 11 45678