584,849 active members*
4,390 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mazak, Mitsubishi, Mazatrol > MazaCAM... Any One Here Ever Use It for a Mazak MSY200

Exclamation MazaCAM... Any One Here Ever Use It for a Mazak MSY200

Hey Guys a Quick question for the Mazatrol Gurus Here. Anyone use MazaCAM to program a Fusion 640 T MSY200 with a Sub-Spindle?

The Tool and Die Shop I work for wants me to learn Mazatrol for their Lathes. I'm so used to G-Code that when reading a Mazatrol program I get bit Confused. Plus they do engraving on Round Parts using the Y and C Axies. These Machines are very nice and we would like to keep them that way.

If so I'd like to here your thoughts good or bad.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

WOW, two weeks and no bites.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Toby,

Didja ever end up using mazacam or mazatrol? What did you think of them? I'm also a g-code guy. I have mixed feelings about mazatrol - great for simple stuff, but....

I fully understand what your saying. What is funny is that everyone says that Programming in Mazatrol is faster than Programming in G-Code, Ha!!!!!!!!!! Not True. Tool discriptions aren't needed for G-Code, just TNR and touch offs. In the case of Milling it's Height and Radius.

Mazatrol has grown more complicated with new options like Multi-Tasking Lathes.

My main concern is Control. G-Code gives you more Control over how you want to cut something. You can Cancel Cutter Comp (TNR) and do undercuts etc.

I still want to learn Mazatrol but the Teacher I have mumbles and has no teaching skills. He just rushes through the program and when asked a question he says "that isn't important".

It maybe time for EIA/ISO :rainfro:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

G-code guy talk again.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Well, don't be so quick to discount Mazatrol until you actually know how to use it. You're at a disadvantage because you're barely beginning to understand Mazatrol. For lathes, you can't beat Mazatrol (or many other conversationals for that matter). Setting up Tool Data doesn't take that long. Most guys can set up tool data, touch off tools, program the part.. faster than you can draw it and program it on a CAD or by hand. Tool Data also gets much simpler and faster the more you use it because you can create libraries in the machine or run dedicated tooling.

You can take a complex part with lots of features, program it, verify it, tool it and no time at all compared to G code. And Mazatrol hasn't gotten more complicated.... its gained more power with more options. If that means "complicated", then a little more time on hand will help. I think the fact that you have a poor teacher is what makes it "complicated". Nothing worse than that. But with everything you've described so far (cut control, TNR, comp issues for undercuts, etc etc) can all be done on Mazatrol in a matter of minutes.

The fact that its not faster at programming is only true for you. The fact is, you don't know enough about it yet. Keep plugging away, you'll see. And try to find a different teacher. He's the one putting bad lemons in your drink...

I will (hesitantly) add this.... There are times when the EIA is better over Mazatrol for particular issues.... especially on lathe/mill machines (not like the MSY... more like the Integrex for example). You'll find these out as you learn more about the controller. But don't throw it out the door yet. There's way more power there than you realize and 10s of thousands of Mazatrol users that can tell you the same.....
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Your absolutely correct Psychomill. The fact that I'm lost says it all. It is always easier to use what you know rather than what you don't. I'll keep plugging away and see what happens.

In the end, I'm hoping that it works out for the best.

BTW: Can Mazatrol do Engraving on the OD of a Part (like words and numbers) or does that have to remain G-Code?

Cheers
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post

BTW: Can Mazatrol do Engraving on the OD of a Part (like words and numbers) or does that have to remain G-Code?

Cheers
    Engrave on the round OD of a part is 2D, it's mind bugging since it lay on a curve. It's require little calculation, but it can be done. Anyway, the question is not can they do it, but the question is "How much are buyer willing to pay for feature they are asking for?" with lastest version of Matrix, Mazak does offer engrave as an option.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

I program 3 mazaks with mazatrol. Cut my teeth on g code. I found that if you study a program already written, see what it is going to do and how, you will find that you can pick it up more rapidly than if you were to try and write a program from scratch.
    This way, you will see and have a bit more understanding of what each of the many processes are.
    BTW they are the T Plus versions.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Newby2 View Post
    BTW they are the T Plus versions.
    Steve

1 Fusion 640T MSY 200
    1 Fusion 640T MY 250
    1 T Plus MSY SQT15 Mark2
    1 T Plus SQT 20

Lots to learn and no time at work to do so. I've been reading the Programs at work and reading the books at home. One thing that really has me baffled is the Tool Discriptions for Rotations for the live tooling and Holder Styles. They seem to contadict eachother.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

The arrows for live tool rotation are either clockwise or counter clockwise, as it is for the main and sub spindle. There should be 4 of them, 2 for verticles, and 2 for horizontals. Use the "angle" for the horizontals as they are an angle head. Use counter clockwise for verticles with standard RH twist. Use clockwise for horizontals with standard RH twist.
    Hope this clears any confusion.
    Holder styles would be the same for both, depending on what is set in the parameters for the tool holders
    Steve

The arrows for live tool rotation are either clockwise or counter clockwise, as it is for the main and sub spindle. There should be 4 of them, 2 for verticles, and 2 for horizontals. Use the "angle" for the horizontals as they are an angle head. Use counter clockwise for verticles with standard RH twist. Use clockwise for horizontals with standard RH twist.
    Hope this clears any confusion.
    Holder styles would be the same for both, depending on what is set in the parameters for the tool holders
    Steve

I wish it were as simple as M203, M204, M205 calls. The way they look on the LCD Screen it gets a little confusing. I guess more practice is in order LOL. G-Code is so much easier for me, LOL.

Thanks for the Tips Newby2

I think I get it now. The Left Row (Top and Bottom) is for the Main Spinde and the Right is for the Sub-Spindle Right? Or did I screw it up again, LOL?

:cheers:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

You are welcome but not to add to the confusion I was speaking of the live tooling in answer to you question. Also I am not familier with the fusion control and presently work with the T Plus. When you run the program, the tool or spindle will either run the right direction or you may find a meltdown!!!
    I always single block a program through the first time I run it. That way, I can see if I made a mistake, (so easy to do), correct it before running it up to full speed. And lord knows, we all make stupid mistakes!
    Have a beer on me!!!
    Steve

You are welcome but not to add to the confusion I was speaking of the live tooling in answer to you question. Also I am not familier with the fusion control and presently work with the T Plus. When you run the program, the tool or spindle will either run the right direction or you may find a meltdown!!!
    I always single block a program through the first time I run it. That way, I can see if I made a mistake, (so easy to do), correct it before running it up to full speed. And lord knows, we all make stupid mistakes!
    Have a beer on me!!!
    Steve
    That is why I like G & M-Codes. Very few make mistakes for tool rotation.
    Thanks for the Brew!!!!!!!! The next one is on me :cheers:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Re: MazaCAM... Any One Here Ever Use It for a Mazak MSY200

Biggest problem is in a production shop that buys a used mazak time to bugger around with a f-upped conversational programing method is not an option. Then mazak costs for training have ridiculously cost. My suggestion is never to buy a mazak used, or new. not worth the head aches.

Quote Originally Posted by GPdriver View Post
    Biggest problem is in a production shop that buys a used mazak time to bugger around with a f-upped conversational programing method is not an option. Then mazak costs for training have ridiculously cost. My suggestion is never to buy a mazak used, or new. not worth the head aches.
    The last time someone post is 15 years ago. Anyway, I can’t speak for any job shop or any one for that matter. It seem you bought Mazak without doing little homework, the reasons most that don’t like Mazatrol is because she doesn’t show line by line code like Gcode does, which most people very intimidating, yes there is one thing I don’t like about Mazatrol still until this day is you cant put comment to describe what operations is doing. I think what you need is someone you can ask question, the hardest part is Tool Data define and don’t try save 1 or 2 second with tool position change, my suggest is alway(99%) of the time go for tool position #1.