584,861 active members*
4,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Shipping a 440?

I hope to buy a 440 in Phoenix and ship it to San Francisco. What might be the most economical means of accomplishing that? I presume the mill should be separated from the stand?

Re: Shipping a 440?

Personally I would make a road trip, about 12 hrs. each way from SFO. The cost of motor freight is crazy today. If you don't have a truck, U-Haul trailers are cheap. Also U-Haul wants to move vehicles back to Cal, so you might find a great deal on a one way truck rental, especially if you negotiate with them a bit. Grab a South West flight from SJ to Phoenix, about $95 + junk fees.

I would ship it with the stand separate.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Personally I would make a road trip
    I do have a truck, get's about 10 mpg and the thought of driving it there and back is not very appealing. The one way rental does have merit, will see if I can score a deal with UHaul or another rental. I'd really like to find a private party that would do it for maybe $400-500, wonder if there's a clearing house for anything like that? Might reach out via Craigslist.

I've shipped numerous mills across the country. San Diego to Central Oregon via Road Runner was ~ $280 for a pallet weight of ~ 1000lbs. Florida to Central Oregon via Peninsula was also ~$250 for a ~1100lb pallet. Those two times I had the machines delivered to my work and had a forklift available. That will make a difference having it delivered to a commercial address with a forklift. You can ask the price difference between having it brought to your location on a lift gate truck (if needed) or instead having it held at the freight center for customer pickup. You might be able to get a shipping weight idea from other members here that have their BOL for the delivery of a 440. I currently have a Bridgeport clone on a truck coming from New Jersey arriving at my house. Needing a liftgate makes shipping cost this time far more painful.

If you go the fly and drive route I'd ensure there's a method to disassemble the machine there. Tools/ engine hoist maybe. Perhaps rent a Ford Transit as it seems like a 440 could fit in one easy and get the best fuel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by jabingb View Post
    I do have a truck, get's about 10 mpg and the thought of driving it there and back is not very appealing. The one way rental does have merit, will see if I can score a deal with UHaul or another rental. I'd really like to find a private party that would do it for maybe $400-500, wonder if there's a clearing house for anything like that? Might reach out via Craigslist.
    If I didn't live in MT, I might have taken you up on that request. I love a good roadtrip.