585,712 active members*
3,866 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Disable screensaver

Some screensaver keep blanking out my screen. How do I disable this? My PC and monitor are both Tormach stock. I'm running the latest Path v2.3.6.
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Re: Disable screensaver

Within PP you can open a terminal up using the "Ctrl+Alt+X" keys.
    At the terminal prompt enter the command: "mate-screensaver-preferences" and the "ScreenSaver Preferences" window should appear.
    From here you can select your preferences.
    In your case make sure the "Activate screensaver when computer is idle" box is unchecked.
    Also, make sure under the "Power Management" -> "On AC Power" tab, under "Display" -> "Put display to sleep when inactive for:", is set to "Never".

I already had screen saver preferences and power management setup that way. Either it doesn't work or something else blanking the screen. I went into the menu on the monitor itself and didn't see any screensaver settings.
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

You can try disabling the screen saver daemon from running when starting up. From a terminal run the command "mate-session-properties" and under the "Startup Programs" tab scroll down to "Screensaver" and disable it from running - uncheck the box.

If this doesn't do it then something else is loading that is enabling the screen saver. It could be that the PP start script is forcing a screen saver to occur.

To tell you the truth I've never noticed on my machines if a screen saver activates. It could be that it does but I just never thought anything about it. I'll have to check that out ...

Thanks, I'll give that a try. My screensaver comes on pretty quickly. I haven't timed it, but it's around 15 minutes.

Screen saver daemon was already unchecked. I did uncheck the power management daemon and re-booted, but that didn't change anything. When I boot my controller, I have it setup to go to the linux desktop, to open PP I have to click on the PP startup script. Even if I'm just on the linux screen, the screensaver still kicks in. So I don't think it's a pathpilot setting.

The ScreenSaver save COULD be in teh BIOS settings.

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    The ScreenSaver save COULD be in teh BIOS settings.

(;-) TP
    I checked the BIOS, I didn't see any screensaver settings

There is a installed Linux command "xset" which might do the trick. In a terminal try entering:

$ xset s off
    $ xset -dpms

If this works you can add it to the startup list of commands to run.

This has been an issue with Linux Mint 17.3 (Rosa) which PP is based on. There is a thread How to disable screen blanking? you might want to read for more information.

Otherwise, since you have mentioned you're using Tormach supplied hardware maybe they can help.

Besides xset I'm out of ideas ...

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    There is a installed Linux command "xset" which might do the trick. In a terminal try entering:

$ xset s off
    $ xset -dpms

If this works you can add it to the startup list of commands to run.
    xset worked, thanks!