584,802 active members*
4,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > PathPilot compatible touchscreen (Same model as Tormach touch screen) for $149.99!
Page 1 of 3 123

PathPilot compatible touchscreen (Same model as Tormach touch screen) for $149.99!

Hey, I just thought I'd share this deal since people have been getting the runaround from Tormach on shipping and Monoprice just dropped their price to a ridiculously low $149.99 for the 17" model. Same item as the Tormach Touchscreen from what I can tell. I can confirm that the 19" model was plug-and-play for PathPilot.

17" Monoprice touch screen- https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
    19" Monoprice touch screen- https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

Tormach currently has a 17" touch screen for $259.00

Re: PathPilot compatible touchscreen (Same model as Tormach touch screen) for $149.99

Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered the 17" model. Only $163.97 including shipping.

Steve

Re: PathPilot compatible touchscreen (Same model as Tormach touch screen) for $149.99

Unfortunately the price went back up to $199. Is there some kind of discount code you are using to get the $149 price?
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Unfortunately the price went back up to $199. Is there some kind of discount code you are using to get the $149 price?
    Dang, I'm sorry to see that. I don't think there was a coupon code, the price just showed at $149 for me, but now shows $199 as well.

But hey, its still $60 less than Tormach!

I didn't use a coupon code. It was $149 yesterday when I placed my order. I live in Canada so I had it shipped to MI to save on shipping. It arrived there this morning. I'll pick it up the Saturday.
    Steve

To continue going astray with this thread, just wanted to let everyone know that I ordered the 21.5" version of this Monoprice monitor, and it is also plug and play with PathPilot on my 1100.

The only thing I had to do was select the input to PC, since it defaults to AV1. That took a little head scratching since using the input select and up/down buttons to choose PC wouldn't stick. When it timed out it was still on AV1, no mention in the manual, but eventually figured out to use the left/right button after selecting PC input, and all was well.

One final quibble, it doesn't have a VESA mount setup if you don't want to use the stand. Has two 4 mm threaded holes that are spaced 100mm like VESA but only the two. I have to make a mount for it, but I believe the two screws will be plenty, since it is very light weight.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    One final quibble, it doesn't have a VESA mount setup if you don't want to use the stand. Has two 4 mm threaded holes that are spaced 100mm like VESA but only the two. I have to make a mount for it, but I believe the two screws will be plenty, since it is very light weight.
    now, if only you knew someone with a CNC mill, you could make a really cool custom bracket... oh, wait...(wedge)
    but seriously? just two mounting points? I doubt weight is an issue, but what about twisting/etc type forces? it is a touch screen after all, there will be fingers poking at it... and it may not always be on the center line of the two mounting points?
    thanks to evil talonosi, making me spend money I had not planned on spending, I just picked up the 19" wonder if it is the same non-VESA deal? part of my evil diabolical plans for it involved a vesa style mounting...

the 21.5" is a 16x9 wide screen, how does PP deal with that extra room on the side? just stretch the existing screen? or does it actually put it to good use but spreading things out more?
    NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

also, fwiw, I got my 19" from Amazon/Monoprice... buying through Amazon + free shipping was a couple bucks less than Monoprice + their OMG!!! shipping charges...
    NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    now, if only you knew someone with a CNC mill, you could make a really cool custom bracket... oh, wait...(wedge)
    but seriously? just two mounting points? I doubt weight is an issue, but what about twisting/etc type forces? it is a touch screen after all, there will be fingers poking at it... and it may not always be on the center line of the two mounting points?
    thanks to evil talonosi, making me spend money I had not planned on spending, I just picked up the 19" wonder if it is the same non-VESA deal? part of my evil diabolical plans for it involved a vesa style mounting...

the 21.5" is a 16x9 wide screen, how does PP deal with that extra room on the side? just stretch the existing screen? or does it actually put it to good use but spreading things out more?
    I got the 19" and it had 4 VESA screw points. Drop in replacement for the original monitor it replaced.

mine is still in the process of being shipped, so while I wait, I noticed this on Mono's description:
    Industrial Grade: This integration-ready monitor features a full environmental protection enclosure that provides protection against moisture and dust, so it is ready to be installed in an outdoor kiosk or other application. The low power consumption combines with the low heat buildup to make it capable of being operated 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
    so, while low power/heat is always nice, the " full environmental protection enclosure that provides protection against moisture and dust" sounds interesting, so anyone with first hand knowledge know how well it stands up to flood coolant? oddly enough, I tend to have issues with flood coolant going everywhere... fried my original cheap acer monitor...

good to know about the VESA, thanks.

I'm enclosing a screen shot of the 21.5" monitor to show the path pilot screen, it doesn't look distorted to me, so some how they made it work at 16:9.

The other shot is the back showing the holes for the 4mm screws above the white label, sorry for the poor focus on the camera phone. Near the bottom are two basically sheet metal screws that attach the stand, one of them is out showing the thread.. I intend to use those screw holes with a longer screw through a mounting bracket to stabilize the monitor. I'm not sure it's necessary, since it was built to operate on a simple stand, but it can't hurt and is easy to do.

Terry

My 17" is on it's thanks to smile.amazon. Paid .2k but that' okay.

FYI the 19" is on sale for 226.68 right now

Just ordered one! Maybe now when I touch the screen it will actually do something :banana:
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Andrew.... Dont read below ok? sorry!

If you use code SUMMER15, total comes to 192.68 for the 19" now

​I think the only other discount i've gotten is 20% off, so with the sale and the 15% not sure how much lower it can/will go.

What's the latest on touch screen monitors that are compatible with the current pathpilot?

Who's purchased one that works lately and confirm it's compatible? If so where did you buy it and what was the brand and model?

David

This thing works in Linux in general, BUT it's only 12 inches in size: https://amzn.to/2WsvTaz
    It's an actual 4:3 aspect ratio monitor, which is really hard to find these days. (Only specialty places that up-charge through the nose seem to have them.)

I'm using a 16:9 monitor, and while the picture fills the screen, it IS stretched -- circular tool paths look oval in the preview, and all the text/buttons are wider than "intended" (but still perfectly usable.)
    Almost all other touch screens are 16:9, or, ironically, 5:4 (1280x1024.)
    As long as they are "USB" connected for the touch, they should work well with modern Linux (such as the Mint in the modern PathPilot.)

I picked up one of the monoprice 5 wire resistive touch units a while back. More or less plug and play. All orders direct from monoprice arrived shattered and required return! I give up and ordered from amazon and like magic it arrived ready to use.

You can pick up the Monoprice monitors from Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DWQMVUU/

Tormach sells the 17 I believe, but the 21 works just fine.

But only the 15" is 4:3 aspect ratio. The 17" and 19" are 5:4 (so, slightly "tall") and the 21" is 16:9 (so fairly "wide")

Page 1 of 3 123