585,557 active members*
3,420 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Spindle Control is Dead, Looking for Help on Replacement

Spindle Control is Dead, Looking for Help on Replacement

Hey All,

I have a Syil X4 that was new in 2013. I bought it from a guy who never hooked it up or ran it. Now after several years my shop build is complete and I finally fired up the machine. After about 1 minute the spindle controller let the smoke out. Three of the thermistors on the spindle control board popped and were arcing across one another. I tried replacing the thermistors, but no dice.

I haven't been able to get any info from Syil on a replacement board so I am guessing I'll have to put a new VFD/controller in the machine myself. Thing is, I don't know where to even start. Ready to learn though

I pulled out the spindle motor to get the specs. Looks like it is 1.5 hp approx. 300 VDC (pic attached) but the rest of the info on it makes no sense to me. I don't know how many phases, etc (are there even 3ph DC motors? I don't know!)

The machine itself is a 110V AC unit. I am hoping someone can help me figure out what VFD/controller would work for my situation and help me get her set up.

If any other info is needed (I'm sure it is!) please let me know. I don't even know where to start!

Thanks Much,

Chris E.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails motor specs.jpg  

Re: Spindle Control is Dead, Looking for Help on Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by lockbuilder View Post
    Hey All,

I have a Syil X4 that was new in 2013. I bought it from a guy who never hooked it up or ran it. Now after several years my shop build is complete and I finally fired up the machine. After about 1 minute the spindle controller let the smoke out. Three of the thermistors on the spindle control board popped and were arcing across one another. I tried replacing the thermistors, but no dice.

I haven't been able to get any info from Syil on a replacement board so I am guessing I'll have to put a new VFD/controller in the machine myself. Thing is, I don't know where to even start. Ready to learn though

I pulled out the spindle motor to get the specs. Looks like it is 1.5 hp approx. 300 VDC (pic attached) but the rest of the info on it makes no sense to me. I don't know how many phases, etc (are there even 3ph DC motors? I don't know!)

The machine itself is a 110V AC unit. I am hoping someone can help me figure out what VFD/controller would work for my situation and help me get her set up.

If any other info is needed (I'm sure it is!) please let me know. I don't even know where to start!

Thanks Much,

Chris E.
    It's a BLDC motor so won't be able to use a VFD Drive with it, you will have to look for a DC control these have always had problems so there should be information what others have done for this type of motor

You could check these guys as they sell a similar motor and drive

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It's a BLDC motor so won't be able to use a VFD Drive with it, you will have to look for a DC control these have always had problems so there should be information what others have done for this type of motor

You could check these guys as they sell a similar motor and drive

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/
    Thank you. When you say "these have always had problems" do you mean the Syil spindle controller or DC control altogether?

Best,

CE

Quote Originally Posted by lockbuilder View Post
    Thank you. When you say "these have always had problems" do you mean the Syil spindle controller or DC control altogether?

Best,

CE
    These type of spindle controls in general have had problems

here is something https://www.cnczone.com/forums/archi...p/t-75910.html

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...troller.72042/
    Mactec54