584,817 active members*
5,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > NEW DESIGN CRASH RESISTANT LOW COST TOUCH PROBE
Page 2 of 6 1234

Re: NEW DESIGN CRASH RESISTANT LOW COST TOUCH PROBE

Quote Originally Posted by Advil View Post
    Yes, I am extremely interested in this.

What kind of tip is on your stylus? It looks like you are putting on a ruby or similar? It's still possible to crash and break it, even with the incredible amount of travel you have built in. You'll need to be very up front about what replacements will cost so people feel at ease with the design.

It doesn't seem completely necessary for the tip to be anything other than carbide.

Another thing I've always wondered, what about making a probe that's both conductive and mechanical? Have a mode switch on the side so that when dealing with metals you can use conductive for perfect accuracy and for non-conductive materials use the mechanical mode?

EDIT - I believe I heard in the video your stylus is ceramic?
    Hi Advil - Thanks for your post.

Re your questions. If you view my other youtube videos on the subject last year - or you may have already? there is information on some of this.

Just quickly. I may offer a premium model with a Carbide stylus tip and a economy version with a hardened steel ball tip - still very durable.

A broken stylus would be very unlikely ....but I agree with your point and plan to offer replacement stylus assemblies for a reasonable price.

In order to keep the price down I plan to only offer the mechanical touch type at this stage.

Cheers Keen

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    I totally agree, I'd like to have one but only if I wouldn't get TOO pissed off when I broke it, I don't need to spend the kind of money most others cost but I'd love to justify the convenience with a lower price. It looks awesome, I have all the faith in the world that if you've made it, especially from the ground up, it's fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Thanks tbev - Point taken. Cheers

Nice Design Work Keen,

I would think many of us might be interested is this is affordable, as most can't afford the high end probes from Renishaw and others. Nice work

Russ

I was able to remove a lot of the stylus deflection by getting new stylus's from renishaw. the one I have now is a 4mm X 15mm rod and 6mm ruby.

where is the number 8 wire look's good
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelleknives View Post
    I was able to remove a lot of the stylus deflection by getting new stylus's from renishaw. the one I have now is a 4mm X 15mm rod and 6mm ruby.
    Hi Gravelleknives.

What sort of cost was that stylus?

Keen

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    where is the number 8 wire look's good
    Gidday! I will try and add that. Keen

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi Gravelleknives.

What sort of cost was that stylus?

Keen
    $60 iirc. The rod is carbide, its plenty stiff enough and a lot more forgiving with minor probing errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravelleknives View Post
    $60 iirc. The rod is carbide, its plenty stiff enough and a lot more forgiving with minor probing errors.

Hi Gravelleknives. Sorry to persist on this but was that the price of a new stylus from a Renishaw agent or via another outlet...ebay etc?

Keen

It was from renishaw, I live near there hq so I just went in a picked one out.

Hi Folks

Sorry this has been such a long time - I have been busy developing a Mk3

Cheers Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnPQ81YXvKY

Looks very interesting. How are you going to cope with shipping where the probe may spend several days in some arbitrary orientation?

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by davebaldwin View Post
    Looks very interesting. How are you going to cope with shipping where the probe may spend several days in some arbitrary orientation?

Dave.
    Hi Dave

The plan is that the Probe will be user serviceable. I plan to link buyers to a non publicly listed technical video explaining applying the fluid and other technical details, and to perhaps supply the Probe with the end cap off, or on loosely...and a tube of the fluid - it only takes a minute to apply the lube and screw the end cap on.

This will also mean buyers will have viewed and understand the construction and should be more comfortable with any future user service should that ever be required. For example should any contamination from coolant or dirt etc occur, they will still have the fluid and can clean it out and relube. ..or fit a replacement part if a massive crash occurs etc.

Cheers Keen

You might be able to vacuum package them which would probably not allow the fluid to move.

Russ

Thanks for that Russ - food for thought.

keen

How about an access cover on the side and just put a few drops of ACF-50 on the contacts every few months?

Quote Originally Posted by Advil View Post
    How about an access cover on the side and just put a few drops of ACF-50 on the contacts every few months?
    Hi Advil.

That was my earlier design, but now the contacts operate in their own mini reservoirs and the greater bulk of fluid does a much better job of cleaning, lubricating, and stopping oxidisation.

The end cap can be removed in a minute to access the contacts and apply the initial fluid top up after postage arrival.

cheers Keen

Keen;
    I tried to email you last week but may have missed a response. Is your probe going to be commercially available. I will be interested if one when and if they become available.
    Great work!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Put me on the interested list as well.

Our mill does run under Path Pilot now, but it is a Novakon Pulsar, so does not yet have any point to plug in a probe.
    I will have to research how that is done.
    We currently use one of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It's pretty accurate, but pretty slow as well. It is only as accurate as the operator.
    It does double duty on the Tormach lathe and does a good job there too, but again pretty slow.
    I would love to take advantage of Path Pilot's probe routines.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Put me on the interested list as well.

Our mill does run under Path Pilot now, but it is a Novakon Pulsar, so does not yet have any point to plug in a probe.
    I will have to research how that is done.
    Lee, I use pin 15 on the BOB for my probe. Works great on the Pulsar with Path Pilot.

Steve.

Page 2 of 6 1234