584,829 active members*
4,798 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Milling > 6040 CNC mill with 800 watt spindle to machine brass

6040 CNC mill with 800 watt spindle to machine brass

I am very new to milling though I have been working with my 3d printer for a while. I just bought a 6040 mill and have been thinking about using it to cut brass stock and use it to engrave custom name plates. Would the 800 watt spindle be enough to machine brass?

Re: 6040 CNC mill with 800 watt spindle to machine brass

You don't give the specs on your spindle, so it's hard to say what it's capable of, but it's probably a high-speed low-torque type. As such, it will do a better job with the light engraving than the actual cutting or milling of brass. If you must use it for that, take very light successive cuts and hope for the best.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

With 800W you will be capable to machine brass.Light passes, observe speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8S6Kb32AMY
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

It looks like the spindle can reach speeds of 24,000 rpm so it does sound like it is a higher speed spindle vs high torque. It is a water cooled spindle but I am not sure that this will have any factor in its cutting ability.

Hi,
    I have a 750W 24000rpm spindle and I use it on brass quite a bit but with tools up to 3mm diameter only.

These high speed spindles have very low torque so don't expect to spin large diameter tools, you'll just stall the spindle.

Brass is nice to cut, it forms small chips, whereas copper or aluminum form long chips that can clog up the tool or and
    cause re-cutting and an almost certain 'Built Up Edge' event.

A water cooled spindle is only really relevant if you run the spindle at low speeds. An air cooled spindle will overheat badly
    at low speeds, say 1/4 of full revs, whereas a water cooled spindle will hang in there.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Abador View Post
    It looks like the spindle can reach speeds of 24,000 rpm so it does sound like it is a higher speed spindle vs high torque. It is a water cooled spindle but I am not sure that this will have any factor in its cutting ability.
    It is just a Parkside spindle, Chineseproduction for Lidl. Air cooled, and I guess it's nowhre near 800W, but it just did a job.
    On another machine I use Kress 1050 FME-1 spindle, also air cooled, speed 5000 to 25000 rpm.
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Can I run water through the spindle to cool it or is there a chemical solution that I should use instead? Also is there a good place to find bits?

Hi,
    I buy micro-endmills and micro-drills from:

https://www.ebay.com/str/carbideplus

Craig