584,865 active members*
4,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Spindle Motor Controller remote

Spindle Motor Controller remote

Hi, I have a small CNC Router that I scratch built and use a Huanyang VFD controller for a 2.2kw Spindle Motor ... after watching a few videos of Clough42 and realised I could use a Remote controller with this VFD but not sure which type would work ...

I saw a very cheap type on ALLiexpress but unsure if they are compatable ...

Very grateful for any help ...

John

Re: Spindle Motor Controller remote

Quote Originally Posted by john40131 View Post
    Hi, I have a small CNC Router that I scratch built and use a Huanyang VFD controller for a 2.2kw Spindle Motor ... after watching a few videos of Clough42 and realised I could use a Remote controller with this VFD but not sure which type would work ...

I saw a very cheap type on ALLiexpress but unsure if they are compatable ...

Very grateful for any help ...

John
    Don't fall into the trap as to what you see in Videos most what you see would not pass any safety standards and are posted by people that don't know any more than you do

You would not normally try or have a remote control for a CNC machine spindle, that would not be a good idea, if you mean remote control with being directly wired / connected to your control then depending on your control outputs it is very easy to do and, in most cases, you don't need to buy anything to make the connection between the VFD Drive and the Control

So, if you need to do this connection what control do you have and what hardware (Breakout Board) are you using.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Don't fall into the trap as to what you see in Videos most what you see would not pass any safety standards and are posted by people that don't know any more than you do

You would not normally try or have a remote control for a CNC machine spindle, that would not be a good idea, if you mean remote control with being directly wired / connected to your control then depending on your control outputs it is very easy to do and, in most cases, you don't need to buy anything to make the connection between the VFD Drive and the Control

So, if you need to do this connection what control do you have and what hardware (Breakout Board) are you using.

After watching a Youtube Video from James at Clough42, he was upgrading his Grizzly Mill with a new Spindle Motor drive and I saw he had a Remote unit which plugged into the VFD controller as the VFD and assosiated electronics was in a box behind his Mill, I checked on mine and found there is an RS485 connector on the back and instructions of setting up the Digital Operator unit .... the VFD Unit is a Haunyang Inverter and I think Model is HY02D223B, and is a 2.2kw 3ph to drive my spindle motor, which works fine but I would like to add the Digital Operator unit but unsure what will work with it, are they all compatable or not ... I use Mach 3 from a Windows 7 PC and a Breakout board connected to the Parallel port, the XYZ drive is via TB6600 stepper drivers and Nema 23 stepper motors,

I hadnt realised that the Control panel on the VFD is detachable and by making up a ribbon cable i can mount the control panel in a better position ...

I hadnt realised that the Control panel on the VFD is detachable and by making up a ribbon cable i can mount the control panel in a better position ...
    Not sure why you would want to do that, when you can have your computer CNC Control do everything, you need from there, having a long ribbon cable can pick up EMI noise problems, that is why most CNC users don't use the KeyPad for remote, if you just had a manual mill then yes you can do that without and problems

No, the Keypads are not compatible with other VFD Drives
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Not sure why you would want to do that, when you can have your computer CNC Control do everything, you need from there, having a long ribbon cable can pick up EMI noise problems, that is why most CNC users don't use the KeyPad for remote, if you just had a manual mill then yes you can do that without and problems

No, the Keypads are not compatible with other VFD Drives
    Thanks for info .... the VFD is mounted under a mobile bench which I cant see what the display reads, I suppose I could connect an RS485 connection to Mach 3 but I dont want to spend a lot of time finding my mistakes ...
    I cant send you a picture of my setup but I have a shallow Aluminium case mounted at the front with a 20inch display screen and standard PC keyboard which swivels upwards, the PC and Control Box on a shelf under front, in the Display case front panel I have a hole I could mount the Remote panel which is at the RH side of the Bench the VFD is about 2 feet away so it would be quite easy to use a short length of Ribbon which is away from any other leads ... Spindle or Stepper ... I could even put the ribbon inside a braided sleeve ...
    An easy experiment if doesnt work then put back as it was ...

Thanks for info .... the VFD is mounted under a mobile bench which I cant see what the display reads, I suppose I could connect an RS485 connection to Mach 3 but I dont want to spend a lot of time finding my mistakes ...
    I cant send you a picture of my setup but I have a shallow Aluminium case mounted at the front with a 20inch display screen and standard PC keyboard which swivels upwards, the PC and Control Box on a shelf under front, in the Display case front panel I have a hole I could mount the Remote panel which is at the RH side of the Bench the VFD is about 2 feet away so it would be quite easy to use a short length of Ribbon which is away from any other leads ... Spindle or Stepper ... I could even put the ribbon inside a braided sleeve ...
    An easy experiment if doesnt work then put back as it was ...
    A lot of the time the ribbon cable that is being used behind the KeyPad, the connections are bonded in place with a glue, some VFD Drives just use an RJ45 connection which is quite easy to move the KeyPad then.

Are you just using the VFD KeyPad to run your spindle or do you have your computer in control, to control it from your computer is not hard to do, what Breakout Board do you use have for your connection between your computer and your machine wiring, you don't need to use RS485 which is ok as well but need the plugin for that to work, just 3 /4 wires (telephone cable Cat6 ) will work to give you 0n / 0ff and Speed control

Post a Photo of your Breakout Board, it may have all you need to control the VFD Drive from your computer
    Mactec54