584,849 active members*
4,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC Mogul

Page 1 of 5 123

CNC Mogul

Hello,

I am looking at the CNC Mogul and wonder if anyone has anything to say about the brand? Its fairly cheep at only $1300 but seems like it would be a decent enough machine for an entry level system.

CNC Mogul

Neal

I would be a little concerned. They show a 6 foot piece of Makerslide for $79. Inventables has the same piece of Makerslide for $32.00. Seems like they charge more than they should. (or what they feel they can get away with).

Milt

Milt,

Im not sure I understand what you are saying. I dont see this piece that you are talking about.

I've been trying to get ahold of them and haven't received a response and its been 5 days now.

Call 262-490-9949. I've talked with Michael Stone several times.

Is that the number for CNC mogul? Heard any reviews? I'd like to pick one up and have two tables (wood/plasma) while I save for plasma cam

That is the number for their contact in Milwalkee. I won't get mine until next week. Ill post an in depth review then.

i think the machine look great for entry level, if your familiar with other maker slide type machines the overall price is very good if you ask me, the electronics layout on the machine for clean look is pretty nice.
    the fact he sells the machine setup with limit switches and drivers, even though standard chinese drivers, i used the same on another machine work great nothing different then all the ebay machines as far as drivers

i think he put together a good package, i do not know him but i did talk to him on the phone a few times before purchasing and answered every time. very friendly even offering extras,

i really dont care that he sells makerslides for more money that's how all sites do it, but you have the choice to buy where you want, but the machine itself is priced right, i will have mine next week as well,

its exactly what i was looking for, something with quick rapids and wood capable, his videos are impressive. ill do a thread on mine as well goodluck

the things about it i like

japan bearings
    delrin v bearing ring over bearings so its not metal bearings on metal slides i see this allot i dont like it.
    limit switches all done for you
    clean and organized
    the right size motors/power supply
    rapids capable over 400ipm
    spindle attachment to almost any trim router
    universal pen holder
    portability being so light

and have you guys ever etched into a home table or concrete slab? very cool and many business opportunities with that
    also when i experiment with plasma soon, i can make 2 tabls and only need one head/gantry just slide off and on other table thats cool!

Xyz dude thanks for the reply. I'm new to the CNC world and didn't care to spend 5k to try it out. I agree that the customer service so far is great. I just hope I can figure out the cut 3d software rather easily.

cut 3d is super simple, but you still need to make your 3d files in another program like aspire, or artcam or any stl generated 3d file i suppose for cut3d

looks like this machine is good for a small budget and will do what you need, in the videos did everything i needed it for for sure.
    plus mike was super cool & helpful answering questions.

i have owned maker slide type machines in the past, so i know what to expect, one thing for sure is dont expect any heavy aluminum milling, engraving no problem tho.

I didn't realize I would need more software. Are there any cheap entry levels that you'd recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by WORM6842 View Post
    I didn't realize I would need more software. Are there any cheap entry levels that you'd recommend.
    yea cut3d is just a 3d toolpath program, if you want something that is easier to learn and popular try google sketchup Google SketchUp people seem to love it, i use solidworks and artcm myself but these are pricey etc..

XYZ Dude,

As you can probably tell I am very new to the CNC world. Considering you purchased the same system as I have can you please offer some advice on what bits I should have to start out with? I have no idea where to start.

sure, what type of work are you planning to do? here some hints

routing plexi or acrylic glass single or 2 flute bits work best ( .125 )
    wood, ( all depends what your doing but if you plan on signs etc. ) get a 1/4" shank 60 and 90 degree vbit ( must haves) also get those in .125 shank, along with some 1/8 - 1/4 shank ballnose bits
    fiberglass and other fr4 materials use diamond cut carbide ( in whatever size you would need ) i also use endmils to cut but i get good finished either way.
    for aluminum any rough passes 1 or 2 flute endmils and 3-4 flute for finish passes, ( i use mostly 1/8" and 1/4" shank on my commercial ruter) but for this machine i would only assume you can engrave not mil. big difference, i would assume no deeper passes then .005 DOC for this type of machine, but that will be up to you to test and try

these are basics must have tools to start with, everything else depends on your jobs needed, like i always drill holes instead of using small bit to make larger holes like if u need .118 or .125 holes use those sizes to drill not .062 etc you will find it hard to get a perfect circle

hope this helps..

i found good prices on bits on ebay, ( USA sellers only ) also maritool.com is a great source for router bits at a good price, they are right outside chicago. i was told by a guy years ago always stay with tools made in the USA

I got an email back and talked to Michael Stone on the phone. Odered mine today

Quote Originally Posted by mondo50m View Post
    I would be a little concerned. They show a 6 foot piece of Makerslide for $79. Inventables has the same piece of Makerslide for $32.00. Seems like they charge more than they should. (or what they feel they can get away with).

Milt
    Hello Milt,

Although the makerslide is $32, there is also buying and attaching the rack to the slide. So there is some added cost in there for that. I just got my machine yesterday. CNC Mogul has been very helpful thus far and quick to respond to questions. I can update more after I make some cuts, as right now I'm working on the table.

Regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by 79crash View Post
    quick to respond to questions.
    They posted an add on my local Craigslist and I emailed them with some questions about there machine and they never responded. I emailed them again and they did not respond the second time either. No longer interested in there machine because they are not quick to answer any of my questions.

Hello,

This is my first post on here after doing a search for CNC mogul. Has anyone here bought one of these things. I am looking to cut out thin parts from 2024-T3 aluminum for wing ribs of a homebuilt plane. Material thickness range is .016" to .062". I also need to route out wood forms from .75" MDF. I have been a mechanical engineer in the linear motion industry for over 20 years and was planning to design my own, but am willing to just buy one if the price is right and it can do the job. My first thought is the design is not rigid enough for my MDF requirements but probably just fine for the thin aluminum.

Anyone have any info on the drive system? Is it gears running on a rack or is it pulleys on a Belt? I need the capacity for 4' x 5' working area.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk LSA View Post
    Hello,

This is my first post on here after doing a search for CNC mogul. Has anyone here bought one of these things. I am looking to cut out thin parts from 2024-T3 aluminum for wing ribs of a homebuilt plane. Material thickness range is .016" to .062". I also need to route out wood forms from .75" MDF. I have been a mechanical engineer in the linear motion industry for over 20 years and was planning to design my own, but am willing to just buy one if the price is right and it can do the job. My first thought is the design is not rigid enough for my MDF requirements but probably just fine for the thin aluminum.

Anyone have any info on the drive system? Is it gears running on a rack or is it pulleys on a Belt? I need the capacity for 4' x 5' working area.

Marc
    Hi Bearhawk LSA,

Gear transmission is better than pulleys on belt .As belt can be loosed and aged after a period of working time ,then it effect the accuracy . While gear transmission with oil to lubricate may service for a longer life . And you may have a look of useing ballscrew which precision is better than others .
    CNC router is more suitable for cutting aluminum and MDF ; laser can not cut Aluminum and it will add a burnt edge on cutting side of plywood . About drivers ,Servo has better precision,quicker speed ,longer service life , better dynamic features and stabilities than steppers . Well Servo has Yaskawa and Panasonic ,more details we may talk by emails if you are intrested ..

Email :[email protected]
    Best regards,
    XYZ Machinery

Quote Originally Posted by jeffery926 View Post
    They posted an add on my local Craigslist and I emailed them with some questions about there machine and they never responded. I emailed them again and they did not respond the second time either. No longer interested in there machine because they are not quick to answer any of my questions.
    here is a hint, dont try and contact them through the stupid craigslist loophole email system lol go to the site an use the contact page they responded to me right away and of course gives a phone number for actual support on phone something we seem to have lost in new businesses.

Page 1 of 5 123