584,814 active members*
5,222 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > ACM brushless servo drives for brushed servos?

ACM brushless servo drives for brushed servos?

I came across these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260732488603...84.m1497.l2649

Edit: Hotlinks apparently not working?

Anyway, they are ACM PWM brushless servo drivers in a neat little package- perfect for a noob like me. Unfortunately the servos I want to use are 24V brushed type. Would these work well with these type of servos?

Thanks

A-M-C PWM drives so they need a PWM signal to drive them, also unlike the ±10vdc analogue BLDC type, they cannot be set for DC brushed.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    A-M-C PWM drives so they need a PWM signal to drive them, also unlike the ±10vdc analogue BLDC type, they cannot be set for DC brushed.
    Al.
    So the PWM signal comes from a controller like the Kflop or Kanalog? I was under the impression the PWM signal came from the drivers and went to the motors.

The drive is a PWM power to the motors, as in most of the A-M-C drives, but the command signal is also PWM in nature on this model.
    Al.

Albert E.

The drive is a PWM power to the motors, as in most of the A-M-C drives, but the command signal is also PWM in nature on this model.
    Al.
    So the PWM signal also comes from the controller?

Also, I came across these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-DC-B...item4d046e7113

Im looking for a decent DC brushed servo driver but noticed that in addition to the step/dir signal, these also output cw/ccw signals as well. Is this something usable, universally useful, or beneficial?

Thanks,

They may work for you, I tend to stay away from Chinese drives, these are Dsp type and require s/w for set up.
    There are AMC, Copley Controls and Aerotech avaialable on ebay which I would tend to aim for, the only thing is they are mainly aimed at 10v analogue command signal, not step/dir.
    Al.

Albert E.

They may work for you, I tend to stay away from Chinese drives, these are Dsp type and require s/w for set up.
    There are AMC, Copley Controls and Aerotech avaialable on ebay which I would tend to aim for, the only thing is they are mainly aimed at 10v analogue command signal, not step/dir.
    Al.

Mach3 can be configured to send the PWM signal, correct? Im doing an X2 linear rail conversion with brushless or AC servos and trying to sort all this out so I can stop spending loads of cash discovering that virtually everything is incompatible with everything else.

Ordered some 3 Advanced Motion Control #BD30A8B brushless PWM servo amplifiers at a decent price from Ebay, but im extremely nervous about investing a great deal of money (for me) on servos that may be incompatible with these drives.

http://www.a-m-c.com/download/datasheet/bdc30a8.pdf

This all started with me wanting to swap my steppers for servos and expose myself to the wonderful world of closed-loop control. Its staggeringly confusing

What should I look for in motors for these drives? Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
    SD

Mach sends a PWM signal for the spindle control, for stepper/servo it is step/dir.
    One option is drives from some of the suppliers here that cater for step/dir drives, which close the loop back to the drive, which you require with Mach, unless you go with one of the out-board controllers such as Dynomotion.
    Motor/drive matching is relatively simple for DC brushed motors, BLDC can be simple as long as the motor has quadrature RS422 encoder signal that has the commutation tracks on it.
    AC sinusoidal is about the hardest to match.
    For a beginner often the 'cleanest' way is by matched motors/drives.
    Al.

Albert E.

It looks like those drives will do both brushed and brushless. You might want to look at linuxcnc and mesa or pico hardware. The 5i25(mesa) pci card ($89) out of the box acts like 2 printer ports on steroids - does high speed pwm, encoder counting and step generatoin. this would close the servo loop within linuxcnc for a true closed loop control. it is also expandable and allows for daughter boards that give you differential encoder interfaces +/-10 and lots more i/o...

sam

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
    Mach3 can be configured to send the PWM signal, correct? Im doing an X2 linear rail conversion with brushless or AC servos and trying to sort all this out so I can stop spending loads of cash discovering that virtually everything is incompatible with everything else.

Ordered some 3 Advanced Motion Control #BD30A8B brushless PWM servo amplifiers at a decent price from Ebay, but im extremely nervous about investing a great deal of money (for me) on servos that may be incompatible with these drives.

http://www.a-m-c.com/download/datasheet/bdc30a8.pdf

This all started with me wanting to swap my steppers for servos and expose myself to the wonderful world of closed-loop control. Its staggeringly confusing

What should I look for in motors for these drives? Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
    SD

Just curious how you made out with this, I'm looking at the same system you were toying with. Did you end up giving it a try? If so, what else did you use in your system?

Thanks!

Anthony