584,826 active members*
5,175 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie to flashcut need software!

Hey guys! I recently bought a complete hardware system by flashcut, it came with the following items: USB Signal generator, Stepper box, Servo drive box 2 stepper motors, flex 2 box along with whole bunch of tools bits and pieces, also bought the mini 2 axis? lathe pro tech model# 1-030-027
    I am a hobbyist I am trying to learn on this I was wondering if anyone would have the software to run this system, I contacted the manufacturer and they want a ridiculous amount for the software :///
    Thanks!!

Re: Newbie to flashcut need software!

Ask whomever sold you the rest of that stuff.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

bought it at an auction ((

Quote Originally Posted by Omar32203 View Post
    bought it at an auction ((
    No one?

You are out of luck unless you can find a pirated version , try Piratebay.

i was told that visual cad cam supports flashcut's system but no luck on PB, but i did manage to get master cam 2021 up n running not sure if it supports flashcut?

Both Visual CAD CAM and Mastercam are programs that generate G-code from your models. They support Flashcut in the sense that they have post-processors available that will tailor code to its preferences. But they won't actually run your machine; you need another sort of software for that, like the kind Flashcut provides and which is compatible with its hardware. Compared to the cost of MasterCAM (a legal copy of it, anyway), Flashcut's CNC control software is not that much money.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by Omar32203 View Post
    No one?
    Golly... It used to be available for download right on their site. The Signal Generator itself acted as the original "license". Now I see they have changed their website and it says something along the lines of "request" download.

I assume you did this ? They appear to offer every major release, so it can't be they are trying to cancel their past in order to move forward. How much $$ did they say ?

I've used Flashcut pretty much since their beginning. Yes, I do have every version of software.... but.... with them removing access to it on their site, I'm not exactly comfortable sharing it without their express blessing to do so. Years ago, I recall there were "private label" versions (including the sig gens) that were somehow swindled without payment. Perhaps some of these units are easily tracked via serial numbers and are now simply being rejected ? I have No clue, and BUSINESSES have to get paid to remain in business, so their decisions are certainly up to them !

I will say that being a happy customer (overwhelmingly happy) of their product and being vocal about it in forums 20ish years, it does kind of bother me if they would not honor a legit transfer of their product no matter how old it would be. Their very early versions were quite spectacular and they may just have built something a "little too good" right from the start that they wish did not run forever..... I know of a machine running V2.1 (probably from 1999ish) that runs as perfect as it did when it was retrofitted.

BTW, The exact version of software you would need depends on your main chip as software upgrades were protected by hardware changes.

I'd love to help a fellow Flashcut user... I lived and breathed Flashcut on so many machines over the years.... but with them pulling it from their site... I really do not think I have the right to do so. Seems maybe even just a year ago it was still freely downloadable.

You'll have to pick and choose what direction you go, and I suppose, unfortunately for Flashcut, there is no shortage these days of inexpensive CNC controls. Nonetheless, I myself would hang onto that black box, certainly if it had a newer "Lightning chip" in it (202?? 204?.. I forget right now). If I happened stumble onto a copy of software, I'd definitely use it.
    Chris L

Thank's for writing back guys, when I spoke to the rep in Deerfield which is literally 2 miles from me the rep told me software is no longer available and they'd want $1700 for it since i bought it used and not "DIRECTLY FROM THEM" (those were exactly his words) unfortunately for the past month I have tried everything no other aftermarket solutions are going to cut it! they gave me the measly demo V4 and demo's wont even connect to the machine! I am thinking of selling the entire setup! if i can't within a week then i will make a lovely youtube video of it getting burnt and destroyed because its useless and its shameful that manufactures act this way very shameful and they need to be highlighted I am eating the cost regardless!