584,846 active members*
4,532 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynapath > Decode Delta 50 Parameters and PLC files?

Decode Delta 50 Parameters and PLC files?

I have a CNC HBM I just acquired. It was previously equipped with a Delta 50M control, but the control got damaged by water and is now long gone. I'm planning to retrofit to LinuxCNC, but I'd like to be able to see what some of the logic was for things like Lube pumps, air dryer system, hydrostatic pumps, etc. I have the floppy disc with the .LS files on it and they are all readable. But they are hex and meaningless to me at this time. Is there a way to decode them?

Re: Decode Delta 50 Parameters and PLC files?

...what did you do with Delta 50M components..I might be interested in buying.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...what did you do with Delta 50M components..I might be interested in buying.

DJ
    They've been gone for years... Previous owner took the entire control out, sent for repair and was told it was a total loss, so abandoned it. That's how I ended up with the mill as he needed it out of his shop now.

Quote Originally Posted by deerefanatic View Post
    I have the floppy disc with the .LS files on it and they are all readable. But they are hex and meaningless to me at this time. Is there a way to decode them?
    ...There was a program from Autocon, that was called ASSEMB30.EXE that used .LS files. But, not sure how much help it will do for you upgrading to LinuxCNC

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/downl...?do=file&id=63
    Attached Files Attached Files

I don't know if it will help, but PM me your email address and I will send you the Delta 50 parameter manuals I have.

OK, so time for an update.

I have been able to get my hands on the original source file from the machine builder, complete with the annotations. Now all I have to do is figure out the syntax of the Dynapath ladder logic. I'm not used to text based ladder logic as all my PLC experiences have been with gui's (Like the Automation direct stuff)

As for the Delta 50 components, I do have the Screen/keypad/front panel stuff. But that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by dstjohn99 View Post
    I don't know if it will help, but PM me your email address and I will send you the Delta 50 parameter manuals I have.
    Hello John, I tried to PM you but not sure if you got my message. My email is shop (at) jorgensenmachineworks (dot) com

That would be a great help if you could send me that info.

...There was a program from Autocon, that was called ASSEMB30.EXE that used .LS files. But, not sure how much help it will do for you upgrading to LinuxCNC

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/downl...?do=file&id=63
    Do you by chance have a copy of the software?

...backwards engineering is maybe the hard way trying to decode the Dynapath logic would be a waste of time. The only thing that may help to convert to LInuxcnc is the "Installation Manual" for 40/50/60M units. They did cost 200usd from DP few years ago. just email them or call.
    https://www.dynapath.com/services-faq6.php

This would show Pinouts on the Dynapath Cables for Servo's/Amps and spindle drive....but, DC I/O and AC I/O for relays etc the manual would not help. Only the original machine builder would know. Or have the schematics of wiring.

Note:
    ... about that ASSEMB30 program....its runs in DOS you need a Floppy Drive to run it or and x86 PC, FDD, and a LPT Printer Port..some functions dont seem to work right on a USB FDD on a Win7 32bit pc using Command Prompt window.

DJ

...backwards engineering is maybe the hard way trying to decode the Dynapath logic would be a waste of time. The only thing that may help to convert to LInuxcnc is the "Installation Manual" for 40/50/60M units. They did cost 200usd from DP few years ago. just email them or call.
    https://www.dynapath.com/services-faq6.php

This would show Pinouts on the Dynapath Cables for Servo's/Amps and spindle drive....but, DC I/O and AC I/O for relays etc the manual would not help. Only the original machine builder would know. Or have the schematics of wiring.

Note:
    ... about that ASSEMB30 program....its runs in DOS you need a Floppy Drive to run it or and x86 PC, FDD, and a LPT Printer Port..some functions dont seem to work right on a USB FDD on a Win7 32bit pc using Command Prompt window.

DJ
    I have full Schematics from the Machine builder (Wotan) and from Amtek when they did the retrofit to Dynapath back in 1996. I also have the Dynapath users manual. Pinouts and wiring are not my issue. I'm trying to look at the ladder logic to figure out:

Lube Pump duty cycles
    Gear shifting logic for the 3 speed transmission (I already know the pinouts for the hydraulic solenoids and gear position limit switches)
    Table lock logic and table "lift" whatever that is...
    Tool change logic (Manual tool change, but it appears to be clamped by a hydraulic pump motor and released by a solenoid of some sort, but theres feedback too)

This is why I'm trying to decode the PLC programming.

As for the dos program, I've got some old pc's laying around, plus there's always virtualbox...

Hello John, I tried to PM you but not sure if you got my message. My email is shop (at) jorgensenmachineworks (dot) com

That would be a great help if you could send me that info.
    Yes, I sent you an email on Sept 8, and another one just now. Let me know if you get it.

OK, so time for an update.

I have been able to get my hands on the original source file from the machine builder, complete with the annotations. Now all I have to do is figure out the syntax of the Dynapath ladder logic. .
    ...after re reading this thread I see you have the SR file now...if you email the SR to me I can produce a Ladder Diagram for ya with ASSEMB30 program I have access to. Check your PM's for my email address.

DJ

...after re reading this thread I see you have the SR file now...if you email the SR to me I can produce a Ladder Diagram for ya with ASSEMB30 program I have access to. Check your PM's for my email address.

DJ
    I found a copy of Assemb30 and generated my ladder diagrams with it as well as getting the parameters list. Thanks though!

...love it when a plan comes together.
    Just a thought about plans....if,your machine only needs another Main Frame and is wired for a Dynapath with all the Files/Params/etc...just buy another Dynapath unit off Fleabay for 400-500 would be an Option. Of coarse you would still be stuck with costly DP support everytime something needs changed.

Nevermind that plan ...come to think. Start a new Thread on your retrofit to LinuxCNC...other HBM owners would use it sooner or late.

Good hunting,
    DJ

Sorry it's been so long since my last update. The files that I got off of John worked the treat. I was able to decode my source code file into my machine parameters and my ladder logic. The ladder logic is still a bit confusing, but I'm getting there with it. I think I'm going to do some manipulation in a text editor to "find and replace" the cryptic references and word values into human readable stuff so that I can make sense of it better.

If anyone else needs access to this stuff, let me know. You can either message me on here or through my website Jorgensen Machine Works LLC – Fabricating new options I only mention the website as one never knows how many years it may be before some poor soul stumbles across this thread in search of information... I'd just post the link here but I don't want the forum getting in trouble as Dynapath still charges $250 for this ancient stuff.

I've got a build thread over at the LinuxCNC forum, I'll try to gather my links and post them in my Main thread here on CNCZone. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/linux...15660-cnc.html