584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Tormach 24R Router

Looks like Tormach is now in the router business. The 24R router a 2 x 4 foot cnc router.

Re: Tormach 24R Router

I kept clicking on that screenshot thinking it was a youtube video.

Do you have a source?

They mentioned it in their latest YouTube video, btw, and pointed to a crate in the corner. So it's definitely coming...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Like Richmaple said in was mentioned in Tormach latest video.

It is also mentioned on their website as product #39300. No free shipping. Shipping is $395.

Which reminds me, I ought to go to Fabtech...

Cool! I didn't know Tormach had a surface grinder.

The shot with the crates all spaced out like that is cheese as all get out.

Tormach must be doing good business though, the video is nice.

They do make a nice addition to any shop!
    Attachment 435288

Been waiting to see more information about this machine. I have been starting to look at building a CNCRouterParts Pro machine, but by the time I add everything it's only a few K less than this, and the Tormach looks like a much heavier machine. The CNCRP can be ordered a lot larger but 24x48" would likely accommodate my needs, and I like the vacuum table option as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    Been waiting to see more information about this machine. I have been starting to look at building a CNCRouterParts Pro machine, but by the time I add everything it's only a few K less than this, and the Tormach looks like a much heavier machine. The CNCRP can be ordered a lot larger but 24x48" would likely accommodate my needs, and I like the vacuum table option as well.

I had been looking for over 2 years. Mostly all I could find in this size were aluminum or stamped metal designs. Could not believe those designs could run 100 ipm + and be very stable. Turns out that concern was correct! This machine almost needs to be bolted down and that's with couple hundred pounds of tools setting inside the frame base.
    The PP control was a major selling point. Having control software that I have been using for years was and is a huge plus. Full touch screen operation, setup and networked makes it just like the mill and simple to use. Some machines I looked at were controlled by pendants with a bunch of button combos to get things done. Reading the manuals on those had me kind of shaking my head.
    Also Tormach provided a machine definition for Sprutcam. Allowing full setup and simulation of cam operations on software I have years of experience using.
    The machine was expensive for the size and options. The cost was almost 50% more then some of the other machines I looked at. But I decided it was worth the added cost to have a machine that was designed and operated like my mill. Having common tools like electronic touch probes that could be used on both machines was also a plus.
    Anyway I am happy with my choice. The machine was the perfect size and fit for my shop. It took about 2 hours to get off the steel frame it ships on and set on floor. Then at most another hour to connect everything and go thru break in cycle and testing. Then it was load code and start making stuff.
    The only real surprise was the shipping crate was huge and was 1" to high to fit under a standard garage door. Still no big deal because crate panels were easy to unscrew and haul off and machine was in shop in less then 30 minutes.
    About the only thing I don't like is for the cost, it should have g-code control of dust vac system built in. I was told the usb I.O. control and a high current control kit was only choice. All other machine IO will be used for future options like tool changers . Still I can understand why its not included. Larger shops have dedicated dust control that runs all day long with lift gates for each machine. Not something you turn on and off to cut noise and save power like I want or need.

A clip of the very fist program run on the machine. I do enjoy my tool path art
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twistedtree2.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	435330

I understand many people do cam setups in mid air "as I call it" I do like to use a full machine definition and here is one of many reasons.
    Would be a little more difficult to setup and run code and fixtures like this without a full simulation and machine definition. Your working very close to the limit switches.
    Special thanks to Jacob and sprutcam for having this ready a couple weeks before machine arrived. So I could have days of code to run before the machine was even here.

Attachment 435332

Attachment 435338

Looks like a really nice router. Is the Y axis powered by one or two stepper motors?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve303 View Post
    Looks like a really nice router. Is the Y axis powered by one or two stepper motors?
    One

MD, that looks pretty decent. I tend to agree about the price being but a lot of value in a familiar interface and the SprutCAM support, especially the machine definition. What sort of footprint is required for the router itself, including to space to work around it? Also, what are you using for dust collection and how much space does that take up? I'm half thinking about whether or not a 24R would fit in one half of our 2-car townhome garage.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    MD, that looks pretty decent. I tend to agree about the price being but a lot of value in a familiar interface and the SprutCAM support, especially the machine definition. What sort of footprint is required for the router itself, including to space to work around it? Also, what are you using for dust collection and how much space does that take up? I'm half thinking about whether or not a 24R would fit in one half of our 2-car townhome garage.
    Space was exactly to the inch the size of the table saw that was relocated. You need access to the entire front of the machine and the one end. The back side could be near a wall but imho it would require the ability to access the back at times. I have it middle of shop. It can be set in a peninsula layout with about 2ft+ in front, back and end to access and one end near wall. This imho will work best and eventually I will move the machine when I arrange work benches a little different.
    I purchased the dust system Tormach sells to add to what I have. Their dust collector works great and is sized right for this machine. It takes up about 1.5x2ft of space, is quiet, easy to assemble and use. Its even painted to match and on wheels .
    The water cooling would require a shop that does not freeze unless you drain and blow it out "I'm guessing"

It was definitely on the high side in overall cost "Way more then my 1100 mill" Overall I think you get about what you pay for. I don't think Tormach is going to be making drug dealer profits off them. As I mentioned above and for years. Way more enjoyable and productive to use a system, not just a tool. And if possible a system that uses tools and skills I have already. PP is also starting to shine more and more for me. All those work offsets are coming in handy with the larger work environment. Already developing strategies with fixtures and location pin stops to quickly use all that space even with smaller parts.

Attachment 435432

Dust collector is in right corner of picture. The far end of router in this picture could be put near a wall and then user could have access to 3 sides saving space and still having complete access.

Reason for good access.

Attachment 435434

Very first program results

Attachment 435436

I had some 6" fence pickets left over from the last wind storm repair

This only thing that still spooks me now and then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g37sloap.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	435438

After g37 tool height is set the machine returns to preset z height then it ramps all the way down to work area. On a mill with big z there is little problem with this. With a router that has max of 6" it gets down right attention getting as you watch it ramp down over material and fixtures going to the far end of the table. Its easy to fix with quick g code edit , just something I don't normally do.

"Way more then my 1100 mill"
    If that's the case, did you also look at the ShopBots?
    If so, what was the main reason you went Tormach? PathPilot familiarity?

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    If that's the case, did you also look at the ShopBots?
    If so, what was the main reason you went Tormach? PathPilot familiarity?
    First Post above explains most of it. As mentioned I looked for long time. Seams like Tormach did some homework when they designed this machine. Smaller machines are not very appealing because size, performance and rigidity and I would just kit build my own. Then it seams like most designs jump to 4x8 or bigger before you get something that is complete and real useful system. Problem is that is just to big for my shop and cost also jumps from the sub 10k to the 20k range. This machine fell in between. And having common controls, probes, interface, cam is also a plus. The mill is 6 years old and basic machine cost was less then the router but then again everything cost less back then.

The options I've looked at (very briefly are the CNCRoueterParts Pro kits, the Shopbot Buddy Standard, and the 24R. The Buddy and the CNCRP machines are interesting because they have options to scale them up to full-sheet capacity without buying a new machine.

It looks like you could do a full CNCRP kit in 24x48 size for $9000 with NEMA34 motors and a real spindle. The Buddy and 24R both come in right around 14k. The CNCRP machine can go up to a 48x48 bed for only about $600 more, while the Buddy has that "PowerStick" system that theoretically allows processing a full sheet. The 24R is definitely limited to a 24x48 size but looks like it might have the rigidity edge to perform better on other sheet goods which is interesting. I also like the option to get a real vacuum table for not huge $.

I'm not super-familiar with the Shopbot controller but I suspect it's perfectly capable. CNCRP's controller kits are based on Mach4/Smoothstepper which I want nothing to do with so I'd have to do some additional work to rig up a LinuxCNC install (I ran my 1100 on a home-brew LCNC build five years before PathPilot came out). I'm very comfortable doing that but I'd rather pay somebody else to wire a cabinet.

My big thing right now is probably deciding whether I'm comfortable with a 24x48 table. I suspect that would be plenty for my needs but the only time you regret having a bigger table is when you move the machine. I'd also like to see more field reports on both he 24R and CNCRP machines (which I expected to see more on given that they've been around for some years). But if I was buying today the 24R would very likely be the winner.

Mountain Dew - that looks pretty well laid out and doesn't seem to take up too much room - perhaps an 8x12' footprint plus the dust collector. Are there any special precautions you take to avoid rust and corrosion in the garage?

Mike:
    8x12 would be great. Tormach sells a wheel kit also that looks like the ones you and others put on mills. That would make more compact overall because it could be setup near walls and used. Then if large material or more access is needed you could move it out into a work area. I don't have much problem with rust in general due to year round low humidity. That said I don't know what would rust on this machine. It has mostly all painted surfaces.

sansbury:
    The list of machine makers I looked at is long. With a cost range from 1k$ to well over 100k with specs and abilities all over the place. From little basement craft unit to the industrial 1000+ ipm machines with bumpers to knock stray workers out of the way. How they were all controlled was about the same range. From small pendants to big industrial controls with cool conversational setups dedicated to certain trades. Some display and detail their control system proudly and others you cant find a single picture of it and have to wade thru pages of manuals on how to operate and setup.

I agree on size! bigger is always better. I just don't have the room nor even the health to store, move, lift and set large sheet goods to get the most from one. I have a couple ceiling mounted trolley cranes now to lift and move anything over 50-60lbs like a super spacer 4th axis. I also use them now and then for lifting things like a 4x8 sheets to set on saw horses and cut to manageable size. My hands among other things have very limited function. Also note compared to mill this machine wears me out fast. I can stand or set in front of mill for a couple hours and be comfortable. With the router I end up walking all over the shop moving larger material and walking around the machine to set offsets. Then I have pp control on machine end as shown and the e.t.ss is on the other end as per recommendations in manual. Every tool change requires you to walk over to the e.t.s. and change the tool. then walk back to control and continue program. Didn't think about this until I noticed how tired I was after using the machine for a few hours. Having a larger machine would wear me out even faster I hate to say.
    On the flip side the 2x4+ size of this machine as I mentioned fits like a glove in my little shop. I just need to design and work around its envelope. Besides all the normal router stuff like joinery and acrylic fabrication. Im drawing up some shallow draft molds for gel coat apps. Should be some fun stuff. btw After reading Tormach's blog I think they are going to show an example of this at the solid works convention next month using a 24r.

I'm not super-familiar with the Shopbot controller but I suspect it's perfectly capable.
    The ShopBot controller is reasonably capable, but they gratuitously invented their own control language, almost entirely out of ignorance. when they started the business. It's not G-code.

Page 1 of 3 123