584,802 active members*
4,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VMC 3020 issues

Hello everyone, this is my first post and visit to this site. Looks like a great resource with lots of valuable data.

I have a Bridgeport VMC 3020, with a Fanuc 21i controller. The machine is a 2002 vintage. We are experiencing a strange problem. As a job is cutting the table will suddenly skip... the z axis will rise and all motion except for the spindle will stop. The table will also skip with the machine sitting idle with no program loaded.
    This has been going on for a while now. We have to shut the machine down and restart it. Sometimes this works and other times we have to leave the machine sit overnight and when we start the machine in the morning we may get a few hours out of it before this happens again.
    We had a pair of techs in to look at it in June and after 2 days of messing around the machine stopped skipping, but they really did nothing concrete that solved the problem.
    Anyone have any ideas or a similar experience?

Thanks

Don

I have seen this as well. In the rear cabinet (electrical) top left are 2 small Fanuc modules.
    They convert the encoder signals to optical for the control.
    You may need to replace one or both. I believe my customer had a Z axis issue but that slaves from the master unit. I replaced both for piece of mind.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you, I will take a look at those tomorrow, are those parts something that can be ordered direct from GE Fanuc or is there a better (ie. cheaper) source?

Hello I have the same problem with my bridgeport vmc 3020 And cannot find anywhere the two fanuc modules, does anyone know where I can find them

We ordered them from Fanuc.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hello George I have already tried with fanuc usa and they told me they no longer make does that interface, so dont know what to do???

I will check with my parts guy. He bird dogs what I need. I just give him the part numbers.
    GE-FANUC merged with Fanuc USA and is now FANUC CNC.

George

Thank you George the part numbers of the two cards are:
    ASVU1
    A02B-0259-C180
    ASVU2
    A02B-0259-C181
    Cause I spoke with fanuc USA and they dont have costumer service in my area.
    thanxs

I forwarded the parts numbers to my parts guy. He informed me that the last time he ordered a set of these, one came from GE Fanuc at $2500.00 and the other from Fanuc USA for $500.00. It seems neither one had both. I will inform you of what he digs up.

George

thank you very much would be waiting for your answer

hey everybody it seem like ya are having alot of different problems with the bridgport 3020 i was looking at a used 2000 model and i was just wandering would ya buy another 1 or a different brand ??? thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by steve eades View Post
    hey everybody it seem like ya are having alot of different problems with the bridgport 3020 i was looking at a used 2000 model and i was just wandering would ya buy another 1 or a different brand ??? thanks for your input

I have a 2216 that ive had since new. Runs every day for 12 hours. Never a hickup untill it got wet. But just cleaned it out and back to work.
    The only irratating thing with them is the memory cards and slot.

Apparently, these yellow Fanuc converter boxes are not available. We actually bought a salvage VMC 3020 to fix our VMC 2216 just to get the boxes.

Does anyone know of a place they can recommend that can repair these?

Has anyone tried asking Fanuc if they can be repaired? There are a lot of additional places making a living repairing and exchanging Fanuc devices (I guess because Fanuc charges a premium dollar).

George

I am looking for Manuals of Bridgeport VMC 3020 with Fanuc control year 2000(machine manuals only). I will pay for it and you may reach me [email protected]