585,883 active members*
5,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

logilase 9060a arrival

picked up the cnc laser today and i was surprised on the size and weight,drove it home in a snow storm but not that bad, 4 wheel drive kept us on the road.
    Pushed it off on the shop loading platform with a lot of grunts,took the shipping case apart ,which was labelled unscrew here --saved a lot of guessing,inside all was well,very well packed ,very neat and with a lot of care on someone's part.When you see that sort of packing its like a neat shop , I appreciated everything being fastened and shrink wrapped ,now i have to get it off the platform and into the shop.
    It looks well built.
    More news to come
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails box1.jpg   box2.jpg   logilase1.jpg   logilase5.jpg  

logilase3.jpg   logilase2.jpg   logilase4.jpg  

questions from a newbie

Hi I just joined this site today .
    I really like your new laser cutter . I am totally new at this and would someday like to own a cutter ,but it seems as though you need one from KERN to get something that has real quality .But am short the 80 grand lol.
    I really have this thing for plexi glass and LED's and was debating to maybe pound the Visa and get one like yours . I was wondering how much you had into it .
    I really want to stick with something that can cut a minimum of 3/4 inch plexi if possible so I thought a 60watt laser would be the smallest output a guy could go with .
    I am in Cranbrook BC Canada,and this whole shipping from china scares the crap out of me ,but the price is sure better .Seems like anything I can find in the USA is in the 10s of thousands.
    I pretty much want a cutter for my hobbies . I am building a computer desk with the computer intergrated into the desk itself ,no tower .
    I am raising the liquid cooled mother board out of the one side of the corner desk with a 14 inch linear actuator ,and will be doing some custom led and plexi work .
    I can cut plexi on my router table now with mdf jigs ,but how cool would it be to cut plexi with a laser.I could sure get alot more creative.
    I read in one forum that a brand from the USA was not cutting a vertical cut ,more like an angle cut ,which I would not be to happy with .
    Have you tried cutting 1/2 plexi with good results?
    Sorry for all the questions ,but any input would be much appreciated

btw I have never used a cnc before . I have been using photoshop for a few years and thought that may help me a little

co2 laser

I was very sceptical about buying a chinese laser but i did and i am very happy with it.Mike at logilase is the guy to speak to about the pricing
    http://www.logilase.com/,tell him i sent you and he will give you a good price and around here its epilog but again we cannot afford this laser.
    The laser cuts acrylic anyything from 1/8 to 1 in perfect no distortion and the edges are so clear you can look through and see not like a saw or router cut.
    Mike ships to BC distance is not a problem.
    I went to a 100 watt and i am happy with it.
    If you look at this site you'll see where i have cut various materials.
    This machine is amazing and io also run a cnc router 4x8

Wow that was a quick reply ,I looked at the date of the post afterwards and thought you may be long gone . Thanks for the info !
    Would you mind if I pick your brain some more?
    I was also looking at universal laser systems on utube yesterday and they got back to me saying they would go no less than 150 watt laser for 3/4 acrylic .
    Sounds like a typical salesman lol .I don't like the fact that you have to use 2 -75 watt lasers to accomplish that .Sounds like more alignment issues than anything else?

I do prefer to buy american products ,but sometimes I guess a person just can't afford to go the proper route .
    I am not understanding how they keep there focus when the laser distance changes as the gantry moves .I realise the divergence of a laser is quite small ,but I can see where it can become an issue as these cutters have to accurate to such a small scale.
    I do see some units claim to have an auto focus system ,does your unit have this ,or is it even neccessary ?
    I was reading some of the other threads and heard mention of issues making a perfect circle . If a cutter is a quality unit there was no issues . I may be way off here but is this an issue with some other laser cutters from other manufactors .

lasers

most people buy 80 watt lasers,i picked 100 watt and if i did it again maybe maybe i might go 120 to 150 watt.
    If you need the power you use a double pass i have cut 3/4 pine with 100 % power but it really burns,plastic does not require a lot of power.Corian does,cutting corian 1/2 thick needs a double pass of 100% power,Auto focus is good and soes not change ,you focus on 1/2 material and its focus throughout the whole area 24x36 ,and the focus is really not that big of a deal as i do some indented panels and have to focus on the frame not the panel as the head could hit something when its cutting or engraving as it moves rapidly 3 in side to side on engraving
    I can cut acylic 1/2 34-40 power as don't forget its also speed ,its speed ,power and resolution.
    The table on the laser is precision built on special greaseable bearings its very acurate does circles perfectly form 1/8 dia to 18in dia

Well from what I have reading I thought 100 watt was pretty darn good ,as alot of the cheaper units use 40 watt lasers and for what I am understanding this lets you cut a max of 1/4 plexi .
    I think for the most part I will be cutting 1/2 inch plexi ,and alot of 1/4 inch .Would be nice to be able to do 3/4 on occasion ,but as you stated that isn't an issue .

No big deal but the link you posted is not working any more ,but I can pretty much figure out how to navigate there site and get directed to Mikes extension .
    I thought I read that you received your unit in a month ,must have been a differant thread?
    Approx how long did it take to ship here if you don't mind me asking

OMG just priced out an Epilog Legend 36 EXT .On sale for 50 grand only ,I'll take two lol

mike's site is up and running (click on it)
    Welcome to Logilase.com look at the forum

this is his email

[email protected]

write to him get some pricing shipped to you

Quote Originally Posted by woodman08 View Post
    mike's site is up and running (click on it)
    Welcome to Logilase.com look at the forum

this is his email

[email protected]

write to him get some pricing shipped to you
    Thanks ,email sent .
    Told Mike you spoke highly of him

Received an email from Mike ,no price yet as he wanted my exact address to calculate shipping costs .
    Mike did mention not to expect a perfect right angle cut with materials as thick as 3/4 inch plexi as some factors come into play . I am wondering what the angle is as it may not be very much as your not noticing it .
    You were smart imo going with a 100 watt laser minimum as that does have some bearing on the quality of the cut according to Mike .

I just found your other videos and pictures . I wish I had a close up of the edge of the plexi glass after being cut though . Great posts!

btw Mike appreciates your recommendation

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpXgCRo4QNM"]YouTube - Make money laser cutting edge lights[/nomedia]

Stan will your unit do a job on a sign simular to the video link I posted ?
    Does etching on plexi have any hidden issues,or is it quite easy? I checked your other threads and pretty much seen etching on wood
    Sorry for the million questions

Well the more research I do it looks like I am going to remorgage the house and buy a KERN micro 48 with 150 watt laser

I hope theres still a small market for the little guy to make a few bucks engraving signs and what not ?

the u tube cut and morgage

That cut on utube i have done and it does it well ,i find the cut amazing as the edge is perfectly clear not like a saw cut nad you can barely get the pieces back together as the cut is so tight.
    As far as the kern machine, well go for it if you can ,i could not as i have 2 cnc machines router and co2 laser.
    Mike picks out the componets on his machines made to his spec ,so far looking at his site all customers are happily cutting

Well thanks again Stan for the replies . I filled out a quote from kern and never got a reply back .So I think it's comig down to the one you have .
    I thought I would be the only one in town with a laser cutter and I just find out theres no less then 2 here . The one shop has a universal with a 30 watt laser which I think is to small imo ,although I don't know much about this in reality .
    I have one concern though .I asked the shop owner about doing a trail run cutting a piece of 12mm plexi ,and he mentioned a vector file works best .
    I am a photoshop guy and can only provide a jpeg or gif ,not sure if I can convert to a vector file .When I googled vector ,it explained that a vector is a mathematical formula , not pixels like I'm used to .
    So if I had the same unit you had and I wanted to cut out a rectangle of plexi with radiused corners ,just how difficult is that for a noob?

laser operation

write to me here [email protected]
    stan

laser cutting

Its not difficult to work with vectors once you get into vectors you'll always use this form as its cnc laser, cnc anything friendly
    Be carefull abouty buying directly from china ,go through mike in toronto
    send me your email

UNDERSTAND

I do not understand your message