Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Multus B300W fiasco
Page 2 of 3 123
    Registered
    How long have you worked for Okuma ?....budgieW

Registered
    For most people they want BOTH.
    Our machine uses the M341 NOW, after the problem has shown itself.
    I use it selectively on particular tools or material types, otherwise cycle times are too long.
    Cleaning springs on a machine a couple months old honestly did not occur to me at the time.
    We run an MA400H, six years old, and never had a problem with the ATC. Never had any preventative maintenance either.
    Buying the Multus was based on the reliability and solidity of that old MA.
    We have been less than impressed.
    Yes we bought a Macturn after the Multus, but it was the only hi-spec machine in Australia at the time and we could not wait for a Mazak or Mori Seiki or anyone else, to build/import one.
    It is a better machine than the Multus, because it is a (mostly) tried and true design.

Registered
    FWIW, I recently spoke to a friend of mine who used to run a Multus and his threw its tools once too. We are in Canada and the frost heave from thawing in the spring causes our building foundations to move. His machine was cleaned up by re-levelling. I have a feeling I need to do the same with my Macturn. Spindle handoff is intermittent right now.

Kev

Registered
    calgarykevvy you comment about intermittent spindle handover has me intrigued could you please elaborate on what's your problem.....

Registered
    Hi akl-kiwi!

See this thread:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/...f_problem.html

Thanks!

Kev

Registered
    We have a Okuma tech here right now in fact. Let me fill you in on our mess. We got the B300W about a year and a half ago. Everything was great and everyone was happy for the first 3 months. We did a part with a lot of milling work on it and started noticing the depth of cut lines were getting bigger and more uneven. We did a quick check on the head and it was out of alignment. At this point the machine had never been crashed, scouts honor. Called tech to see what to do since this was the first problem we had and they were nice enough to send someone in. He aligned it all back up and we were back to running.

A month later on the next order of that same job it happened again. They sent another tech to come in and for "some reason" he had the idea that maybe the alignment pins were never put in place on the B axis head. Took the spindle off and found....no pins. He put those in checked it all and we were back up.

Back up until I needed through spindle coolant which for some reason start coming out all the seems on the spindle head and not the tool. Fixed that.

Then I started having tapping issues and had to resort to thread mill.

Two times we've had tools get stuck in the spindle and they have had to cut the tool off at the nose to get in and release it. Once because of some little clip broke and the second time because a chip got behind the tool somehow.

Random alarms during an extended run with no program mods....reset....and back to running with no problems.

No we have the guy here to find out when I program a straight line with X,C it comes out squiggly. He thought it was because I don't know how to set spindle centerline. So he set it...and still wrong.

Everytime we have a problem they point the finger at us first and we have to fight to the death to prove I know how to mill a flat across the face of a part, lol.

Needless to say Mazak and Mori or coming in this week to show us about the Integrex E and the NT series machines.

Registered
    How large is the flat that you are milling, Basically the further you get away from the centreline the worse the result will be when milling with the C axis. if the flat is anywhere near the chuck OD then there is no hope. The Okuma fix is High Accuracy C axis

Registered
    Hello Guys,

sorry to say but its not the same Okuma anymore. first i thoght that taiwan made series (like soarer, now its called genos) have problems based on assembly quality - hydraulic pipes not tightened enough, leaks, no pins inside turret, turret goes to the material with not clamped corectly, runout 0,1 on c axis brake disc, contaminations in hydraulic piping - very quick goes to damage solenoids.
    then we've found out a bigger turret problem - cannot set turret geometry correct. we've took it out of the machine, put to the measuring machine and guys said the tool holes (vdi) are out of position and inclined. deviations were 0,02 till 0,05. its not an asembly problem anymore.
    more, LB3000 ( why this happens?? )turret V12, tool station no x, You have two ool mounting positions - up and down, they are not parralel eachother. X means each single tool station on the turret.
    more, LT200, LB, 2SP - radial turrets - always problem with correct tool holder position... not from only one machine, or nto experienced operator. better way, experienced operators are saying if You want to mount the tool correct do it with a dial gauge.
    bout the multus related problems - You have enough of them already. and its not funny anymore ....

Good Luck!

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by budgieW View Post
    How large is the flat that you are milling, Basically the further you get away from the centreline the worse the result will be when milling with the C axis. if the flat is anywhere near the chuck OD then there is no hope. The Okuma fix is High Accuracy C axis
    It's a 2 inch long flat at a diameter of 3.5in then it transitions to an offset boss. Almost every surface that is flat comes out with some kind of wave to it. We've had Okuma apps in here and so far no solution.

Registered
    Wow. We looked at the Mac Turn & ended up going with Hitachi Super Hicells back in 2001. We looked at the Multus about 1-1/2 years ago & decided on Mazak J300 Integrex. Looks like those were pretty good decisions not to go Okuma.

Registered
    What chuck do you have? How much does the part weigh?

Have you set the Chuck weight parameter?

Registered
    Interesting. i cant agree.

We bought first B400 multus at 2008 January and second machine with longer
    Z move & support bearing at 2010.
    Absolutely no problem with these machines.

We have over 30 cnc machines, Mori, Mazak, Doosan, Kia etc...I have to say that these Multus machines are very reliable (well we only have B400 but anyway).

But with ANY multifunctional lathe is pretty hard job to get CAM program work OK. We have been working with Surfcam & Gibbscam.

But of course there could be monday machines.Never buy machine at monday

Page 2 of 3 123