586,024 active members*
3,835 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VSD-E and VSD-XE difference

I have placed an order for VSD-XE drive on a Granite Devices German distributor. Despite the website claiming 24 hours shipment for VSD-XE I was told they don't have any VSD-XE and offered to send me VSD-E with custom made heatsink. Long story short, almost 3 weeks later I have received the package.

Documentation states that AC servo continuous current is 10A for VSD-E and 14A for VSD-XE and I know that firmware drops 20A current to continuous current limit after 2 seconds. Is 14A a recommended level or pre-set in firmware?
    I need 14A continuous current.

The distributor have told me that VSD-E and VSD-XE are completely the same apart form the heatsink. Is this true?

Hi,

The continuous current is limited to 10A in firmware of VSD-E. You can set it to 14A but 10A will be what you get. Also warranty twice as long in XE model.

If the drives are in like new/unused condition, we can switch them to XE for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    Hi,

The continuous current is limited to 10A in firmware of VSD-E. You can set it to 14A but 10A will be what you get. Also warranty twice as long in XE model.

If the drives are in like new/unused condition, we can switch them to XE for you.
    Yes, please. I have one like new VSD-E. How do I go about this?

Maybe you should find yourself a new distributor. The extra heatsink I have received is made from steel and was bolted down with old rusty screws. There is a visible hole between it and a VSD-E and no thermal compound was used. And I have paid €320 for that experience...

P.S. Based on the information and when I have realised that I will not get VSD-E quickly I have also bought two VSD-E directly from Granite Devices. When they arrive I will have three new VSD-E.

Please email me at [email protected] for arrangements. Seems like we at least need to have serious discussion with the distributor.

Please email me also a photo of the poor thing you received.

I am sure we will sort this out.

So, VSD-E uses different components then? I assume at least output MOSFETs would be different?

What I wanted to know - is it possible to load VSD-XE firmware into VSD-E and use it with a properly installed large heatsink at 14A continuous current? I like the idea that VSD-E can be attached to external heatsink/fan combo.

The components are same, but XE boards are hand selected so that their thermal contact to heatsinks are best possible (best flatness of TO-220 component cooling surfaces, which vary little bit by manufacturing tolerances).

The firmware for VSD-E and XE are same except one bit which identifies the model and that bit can be programmed only in here. It would be possible to make drive think it's XE but it would require special firmware and modifying firmware just for one drive would be relatively work intensive. Its easiest to replace the drive to XE.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    The components are same, but XE boards are hand selected so that their thermal contact to heatsinks are best possible (best flatness of TO-220 component cooling surfaces, which vary little bit by manufacturing tolerances).

Also making new firmware just for one drive would be relatively work intensive. Its easiest to replace the drive to XE.
    Sure, I understand. This makes sense now.