585,715 active members*
3,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > What's wrong with this picture
Page 1 of 3 123

What's wrong with this picture

OK I saw this in the shop today. After making certain it wasn't for one of the jobs I had released I tried to talk to the fellow about what he was doing. Keep in mind we have an R8 collet to fit this end mill. Since I wasn't convincing enough I'd appreciate it if the rest of you chimed in on this setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 03011607.jpg  
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

He's the bosses son?

At least he didn't have the quill all the way extended.

Is he still working there tomorrow?

He just bought stock in Albrecht Chuck Company?

Ignorance is bliss. I have stripped down another's setup to discover straight double angle style collets crushed up inside ER (taper collet) chucks...

DP

Quote Originally Posted by Shotout View Post
    OK I saw this in the shop today. After making certain it wasn't for one of the jobs I had released I tried to talk to the fellow about what he was doing. Keep in mind we have an R8 collet to fit this end mill. Since I wasn't convincing enough I'd appreciate it if the rest of you chimed in on this setup.
    the problem with the set-up is that the paper print he has is too close to the oil and it does not have a plastic job folder around it, its always embarressing to have to go to the customer asking for another print cause you destroyed the org he sent.
    I would take him into the office and and explain quietly how and why plastic job folders are a MUST, if you have a black board make him write 100 times

" I will always use a plastic job folder from now on"
    he will most definately not forget it

Delw

Quote Originally Posted by packrat View Post
    He's the bosses son?

At least he didn't have the quill all the way extended.

Is he still working there tomorrow?

He just bought stock in Albrecht Chuck Company?
    Quill: Only 3 inches :devious: but the picture was to blurry to post
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Let me guess, he just might be in the top five of the best machinist in your state?

Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you to the all-sixteenths adjustable collet holder! Available soon at a tool dist. near you. Hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by sambo67 View Post
    Let me guess, he just might be in the top five of the best machinist in your state?
    I don't know why your laughing Sambo67, those are your vise jaws he is machining

Delw (nuts):cheers:
    Mark Twain

It looks a bit like the self-tightening chucks that have an integral shank; I.E. no Jacobs taper to come loose.

I have used this type of chuck for holding small end mills and they work perfectly well; really there is not any risk involved provided they are the integral shank chuck, the endmill is small and you go modestly with the depth, stepover and feed.

Grabbing hold of a 1/2" two flute and plowing full width two diameters deep at 10,000 rpm and 100 ipm could be a different story.

Is he an experienced guy?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

That air nozzle isn't exactly OSHA approved is it.

All it takes is to destroy that part, and he will use the correct holder next time...unfortunately at your expense.

Paul

Don't figure

I have found that a novice can get away with this kind of thing time and time again, yet an experienced guy (who knows better) will smash things up in no time at all...sort of like a 'Murphy's Law'

Instead of

'If something can go wrong, it will'

it would be

'Something will go wrong, once you KNOW that it can'

DP

'If something can go wrong, it will'

it would be

'Something will go wrong, once you KNOW that it can'

DP[/QUOTE]

Strange how that works isn't it....I find that it happens more so when I say to myself, this a really bad idea....,but if it works it will be brilliant!

i dont know whats wrong.

Albrecht, Inc.
    Attention: Rebuild Dept.
    200 Oser Ave.
    Hauppauge, NY 11788

:banana:

@ Geof
    It is a self tightening Albrecht chuck. I can see your point if someone doesn't have an end mill extension with collets however this is a .25 end mill, full width @ .25 deep. We have 2 1/4" R8 collets. Correct me if I'm wrong but self tightening chucks are designed for axial loading not radial loading.

He has 6 years of experience that I know of, went to tech school too.

@sti2011
    LMAO that was funny!
    Mark Twain

When I posted my reply to this I was trying to be funny/sarcastic. Since then I'm not sure about some of the replies?

Plastic job folders? Adjustable end mill holders? Are these funny answers too? I'm a new member of the forum and don't know any of you yet,so I can't tell.

cary

Quote Originally Posted by Shotout View Post
    @ Geof
    It is a self tightening Albrecht chuck. I can see your point if someone doesn't have an end mill extension.....
    That is the circumstance under which I have done this type of thing; when I needed extra reach.

A 1/4" mill would break without damaging the jaws on the chuck and the sideways loading from the cutter would be trivial and well within what the chuck could handle.

My point is that it is not always valid to jump on someone for doing something wrong; I would rather have a guy who knew enough to know when 'wrong' is okay, rather than someone who is totally hidebound.

Packrat; welcome, stick with us, sarcasm is fine (mild sarcasm that is) I use it at times.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I agree with zeeshan_2011.

I would also like to know specifically, What is wrong with the setup?". I am not a machinist. However, I would like to learn.

It seems like the person is using a 3 jaw Jacobs chuck when he should be using a properly sized collect chuck. Is this the only thing?

It seems like there is no risk in damaging the vise. Is this correct?

Thanks for spelling it out to the people who don't have the experience.

well, the white balance is poor.
    Reset the white balance and use a bounced flash to get rid of some of the shadows.
    Switch to aperature mode and use max aperature for a shallow depth of field to blur out the background.

And we all know putting anything other than the approved substance in a branded bottle is very bad Karma. The gods will not be pleased.

Yes, you know what I mean. That's a WD40 bottle with the evil coolant /cutting fluid in it isn't it? tsk...

The print should be placed squarely at the lower right hand corner of the table for maximum chi as well.

/sarcasm off.

In all seriousness, it's not dangerous or harmful to the machine, so who cares. Just sloppy workmanship.
    That's what, a 3/16" cutter? it won't damage the chuck. A 1.25" endmill with a reduced shank? Then you'd have a point.

Slap said machinist up side the head with a piece of 1" CRS for being a moron and move along.

Page 1 of 3 123