585,670 active members*
4,190 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

y axis ball screw

How much trouble is it to change a y axis ball screw in a 1995 fadal 15xt. I really don't want to do it but i can't find anyone i like to do the job . fadal cnc.com quoted me about 2200 -400 core charge for parts every thing for the y axis coupler, bearing mount, seal and the ball screw itself

anyone have a service guy they like in the san francisco bay area

wayne

y screw

It is not to hard to change it yourself 3-4 hrs.If you want to try i will send you documentation and instructions on the install.but if you are doing very tight tolerance work like under .0005 the new screw will need to be laser calibrated by a tech.are you sure the screw is bad? and not just the thrust bearings.you can check screw slop with an indicator mounted to the sadle and set on the angle part of the thread go each way and read the slop.the thrust bearings can be checked by how much the end of the screw moves in and out with 1 click on the handwheel in .010 jog.if it is locked up take out the 4 bolts on the nut and see if it will move.

Either way looks like i will need to have a tech come out. i do a lot of close tol. stuff and don't want to fight it as much anymore thanks

y screw

fyi you can get a brand new bls-0000 y screw assy. from fadal for 2,351.00 if you are leary of after market parts.

Quote Originally Posted by alex gitzel View Post
    fyi you can get a brand new bls-0000 y screw assy. from fadal for 2,351.00 if you are leary of after market parts.
    I'm not sure about other companies, but my parts are straight from the companies that supply Fadal. So I wouldn't call my parts "aftermarket"...
    Need help with your Fadal? Send me a message or visit www.TheFadalParts.com. We have over 25 years of experience at Fadal and offer FREE TECHNICAL SUPPORT OVER THE PHONE!

y screw

I have not heard anything bad about your company but i have run into some bad aftermarket parts before.we always use factory parts but some customers get parts from other places and some end up not being that good.if you sell new oem parts thats good.