585,978 active members*
4,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Extrude a cut?

Just learning Rhino, I'm coming from a background of Inventor 3D. I'm looking for a function like "extrude a cut" from Inventor, is there such a function on Rhino?

i.e. you draw a sketch on a solid and extrude it out (cut it out) instead of extruding a solid in like what normal extrude does

Try extruding a solid and then boolean subtract it. Same thing, but an extra step. I believe that only parametric modelers have the "extrude cut".
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You can also have a go wth the function Wirecut. It acts a lot like Extrude Cut and more... You can also use it to section solid volumes etc... --ch

Cool thanks guys!

I was able to cut through the material with both boolean difference and wirecut. This software definitely needs some "getting used to"

Hello Phil M.

I know that this topic is quite old but I will post my kind of dealing with this situation.

In some cases where the form you want to cut through consists of many surfaces it could even be easier to use the command MakeHole. However, before that you will have to outline the form of the object you want to cut the volume with using Curve or Line segments. Make sure to create a closed curve because the command MakeHole requires you to choose a line or closed curve in the first step. Your second step then would be to choose a surface to cut through. Step three is to extrude the line/curve as high as you would like through the chosen surface. Bear in mind that step two does not give you much of an option to choose many surfaces at once but only one at a time. So you may have to repeat the command many times choosing the curve then the other surface and then height of extrusion of that curve/line. I am personally drawing a curve because it works better for me. I have been struggling with the line segment but it does not seem to work properly in my case. I would suggest you try them both.

Here are some pretty useful tips this guy is giving on what kind of problems Boolean may bring to you guys and how to deal with them. I found them quite useful.Rhino Boolean Difference Failed - RC Groups