584,850 active members*
4,247 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma LB15 Bubble Memory Error

Okuma LB15 Bubble Memory Error

Hi all,

My first posting to this board so, go easy on me

We have a 1990 (approx) vintage Okuma LB15 Lathe, single spindle, single turret in our shop and have a small problem.

Late last December we had the X axis drive board die on us, something to do with Power Transistors on the PSU bit, and some other work to be done on the PCB attatched above it.

This work was done, the board replaced last week and the machine starts up and ran fine.

However, two days ago I was getting the machine ready for a job, got all the tools set, wrote the program (IGF mode). Program created ok.

Went from EDIT to AUTO so that I could select the new program and I got an error relating to the Bubble Memory. Unfortunately I did not write down the exact error, but machine still worked fine manually. As it was the end of the day the machine was then powered down.

The next day on powering up, the bootup sequence stops almost immediately with the following;

2011 Bubble Memory Read ERROR 20100000 'Parity'

Then you get something to the effect of;
    SBC Monitor
    >_

And thats it.

Have done the obvious in the back of the machine as in checking for any loose connections, but no joy.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rich.

bubble memory must be replaced. Okuma offers CMOS memory module for replacement. It will work just perfect for long time.

Hi Algirdas,

Many thanks for the quick reply.

Replace the Bubble memory card? Ouch! that sounds expensive.
    Are we sure it's a complete failure of the card? or are there any other possibilities?

I have read that doing this will also require the machines software to be re-loaded.

To that end, we don't have it. Tapes/Discs or even a disc drive. Only an old punch tape drive that I never use as the machine is hooked to a PC for program storage.

But besides that, I understand that the machine software is dependant on the machines serial number ie. what options were on the initial order from Okuma when purchased.

Also are there other major parameters that might require setting up after this as well, say backlash or other?

Regards,

Rich.

This module maybe €2000 approx. Call Okuma representative to do all the job. SBP monitor means OSP can't load operating system. Maybe OS must be re-installed. Depends, which memory module is failed.
    You have saved copy of parameters, as instructed, right? Don't worry then.
    Joke. I don't know a single client who takes care of backups.
    It's all possible, don't worry.

Hi Algirdas,

No backups of parameters.

And as the machine stops at the Loading:SYS bit then I guess there is no chance of getting to them.

Looks like I will have to make some phone calls on Monday morning then.

Thanks again,

Rich.

Hi,

Just as a followup to my previous post.

We have checked the all the voltages on the CPU Racks power supply unit. All are as they should be.

However, with the machine at its stalled boot up state, on the front of the CPU rack there are other LED's for status.
    And the Power and Run LED's are not lit.

I dont know, but I would have thought that the Power LED would be lit even if the RUN one was not due to a possible loss of data.

Rich.

check the LED itself.
    Check the voltages once again. Power LED must be lit at very start of POST - right after "on" OSP button pressed.
    It's not applicable here, but I had once case when "smart" electrician replaced -24V power supply unit inproperly - as it was +24V

The CMOS upgrade is not a big deal and not that expensive really considering cnc machine expense. Don't panic yet about the parameters. You will be making the backups in the INSTALL mode so don't worry about the stoping in the boot up problem. Sounds like it is a basic single turret lathe which means even if you cant make the backups of your parameters it really isn't to bad to load them manually. If you have to then let us know and im sure we can help with that.

Hi all,

Just done some more investigation.

Had the CPU rack's Power Supply Card out. Checked it over for fuses or any blown components. All are fine.

Put the card back, powered up the machine and still have the same error on screen.

The Voltages at the Power Supply Test Points are correct.

The RUN and POWER LED's on the front of the CPU rack are not illuminated.

However, putting a meter across the POWER and RUN LED's shows 5 volts on each, so it would be safe to assume that the LED's are duff.

So in summary we got error on bootup: 2011 Bubble Memory Read ERROR 20100000 'Parity'

We have a functioning Power supply and the POWER and RUN Led's should be illuminated but aren't due to defective LED's.

Regards,

Rich.

Hi all,

Resurrecting this thread for some obscure reason.

Anyway, it's a year on and our LB15 is still devoid of life. Still sat in the corner doing nothing.

Have tested everything possible, all cable connections to cpu rack, re-seated all the boards, visually checked all the boards. CPU rack power supply is putting out the right volts on all test points.

Did contact our Okuma main agent who quoted approx 3500-4000 GBP for obtaining a replacement for the bubble memory card and software (from japan) but worryingly they said that after paying this they "could not guarantee it would fix the fault" - Geez what kind of statement is that! So thats why we are reluctant to take them up on their offer.

As we got nothing to loose, I been trying to work out any command line commands for the SPB monitor.

Pressing keys from A-Z one at a time followed by Enter produce various screens of information.

Does anyone know if any of the SBP Monitor commands will help us narrow down the machine fault, or is it possible to re-initialise/format or whatever the Bubble memory from this command line. If so we would only need to obtain the machine software..

The only reason this is still ongoing is the LB15 is at the back of the shop and is not coming out as scrap anytime soon unless we take down a wall, so would still like to give it one last chance.

Regards,

Rich.

Geez, we used to have board kits when I was at Ellison just for testing. I guess without software it may have not helped much. The command to initialize the memory was Init BB0:, and Init BB1:

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Are those commands from the SBC Monitor prompt? (keep callin it SBP for some reason)

Only the system doesn't get to a fully up and running state;

It halts with;

SBC Monitor
    >_

At the LOADING:SYS part of bootup.

Rich.

Sorry, should have been more specific. Those only work after the system is booted. Bubble does go bad, and after 20 years im sure it's probably gone bad, it's hit and miss. Some bubble seems to last forever, some dont. Even Fanuc sells a Sram board now to replace the old 10/11 bubble memory.

the commands in the monitor allow you to look at memory locations, do debugging of code etc. it wont help you unless you know 68000 assembly language and are familiar with programming notation in hex and binary. in other words if you were not a computer programmer back in the 80's forget it.

you really just need to replace the bubble board as stated above.
    If your name is accurate you shouldn't have a problem. Otherwise you should probably change your name to 'Poor UK'

think carefully...... your machine has been doing nothing for a year. how much money would you have made in that year if the machine was running? answer: a hell of a lot more than 4000 GBP. if that machine was at my work we would have lost about $1.2 Million

hi all,

Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like it's definitely a dealer only fix then.
    I have just been trying all options to see if it was caused by something else ie bad connections somewhere or blown component is in psu or something.

Have to wait and see what the new year brings.
    Not my decision on authorising the repair.

Thanks to all who gave input during this thread.

So closing out the thread.

Rich.

after paying this they "could not guarantee it would fix the fault"
    correct statement. You can't tell if there are no more problems until machine didn't started. That means, Okuma representative at U.K. is responsible person and isn't lying to make client to hear what he wants.
    Back to the subject, sorry for distraction.
    You can test Your bubble memory on someone's else machine before spending a fortune.

Rich,
    there are a number of bubble memory cards for sale on eBay for about $350USD. Back when my memory board gave up I purchased a couple of used ones, worked like a charm. If you don't have the system install disks, you'll still need to get these. You'll also need an Okuma floppy disk drive to install them.

Good luck!

-Jason

Re: Okuma LB15 Bubble Memory Error

SRAM chip malfunction or PCB damaged by corrosion.

The power on sequence failure and Bubble Memory kaput. Condolescences . . .

Hello

Our problem is dead Okuma LB-10m
    Fault:
    2000 Memory write/read test ERROR 0008866C (Last code, changes after turn ON and Off)

Okuma is Oldscool 1987''
    We have a Perfo line and reader
    -8" coll Floppy, whit out reader.

Memory size is - 4mbit X 3

Controler OSP5000

How? Step?

And 8" floppy reader - were found it? Or, parameters can manual whrite? Or only whit floppy? About 8" floppy emulators/ mb is way, if I get all info from 8" flopy, copy it to 3/4 flopy, and whit emulator or smtg, use it, to start machine. 8" reader is from Museum.

About CMOS memory, Used is good idea, to buy?
    Last edited by 3BMTS; 01-13-2022 at 12:46 PM. Reason: New info