586,011 active members*
3,914 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Radii were fine, now it cuts wrong, HELP!

So I'm running a K2-KG2525 router with a Porter Cable 892 and 400oz stepper 3 axis kit from probotix. I've cut a bunch of little projects out and so I thought I'd load up a big project (for me). Below is a video post crash...

Please just keep in mind that the project was running great! I had no issues at all. Then I over looked about .400 of an inch for the final profiles and it started to cut a tad over .500 of an inch in a single pass through solid oak with a 2 flute .375 inch endmill at 23k RPM's doing 60IPM. I panicked at first and was making a swing for the E-stop when I realized that it was doing it! Thats the deepest I've ever cut before in a single pass. I know it couldn't be good but it wasn't killing its self and seamed to be cutting well so; I let it go... Not much longer after that is when I over amped the circuit in the garage and tripped the breaker. The whole right side of the garage went black and I exercised my vocabulary; Neat...

After a deep breath or two I thought that I'll just make a repair file and finish the last two profiles real quick. This is where the problem starts. I didn't notice anything funny, loaded the repair code, re-zeroed the machine and double checked to make sure it was as close to the original center as I could get it, and hit run... Everything was working great, again... Then it decided as it was coming up the y axis again to batch the radius and end up offset in from the final profile I want. Hummm, that looks odd I thought as it came round and stuffed into the far side chopping the tip off my clamp... Nothing looked weird on the tool path preview, and it was the same code as before only with .250 inch cuts and missing all the junk it had already done before.

Thats where I am. I know it has to be a MACH3 issue because the code didn't change. Now the original code even fails and does funny things. I was trying to figure out what went wrong so I changed to Incremental IJ mode, generate the tool path all the radii look great. Flip back to Absolute IJ mode regenerate the tool path and the radii go crazy...

What gives? Did I hurt my hardware some how? Could my Computer be messed up from the flipped breaker? Why would it just start reading code differently?

Man I'm bummed

Thanks guys,

:cheers:

Eric

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5DQIz702fQ"]YouTube- My First CNC Crash[/ame]
    In this video you can see where the farthest most profile cut is. I didn't zero it perfectly but it is close. You can see where it plunges in runs back, goes around the radius goes along the X then the next radius it pukes on and ends up coming back up the Y axis .500 inches offset to the inside then you can see where it went around and I stopped it as it cut into my clamp. By the end of the video where I stop it you can clearly see that its no longer cutting on the same profile... What gives? The simulation in BobCAD looks good, the tool path in Mach3 looks good, the machine now cuts funny where as before it was cutting just fine...

:drowning:

Well, I uninstalled Mach3, deleted the directory and reinstalled. All I did was drop my license files and xml profile back in the Mach3 folder when it was done installing and everything seamed to be back to normal.

Down side is that I forgot to plug my fans in that keep my stepper drivers cool and fried all three drivers figuring out that it was running like normal agian... Neat...

Sorry about your stepper drivers though it does give you an excuse to get a G540...