584,860 active members*
5,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > 93 Haas VFO - DNC Software and Production Parts

93 Haas VFO - DNC Software and Production Parts

So I've recently been given the oppurtunity to purchase a Haas 1993 VFO (I think it's a 93) mill, one with the plastic enclosure, for 4500 (bought new by current owner). It, along with a phase converter, and some tool holders, would put me right in my budget for making production parts. Unfortunately I can't afford more machine right now. I know this machine is in good working order as I've been using it for the past year. The major complaint I've had is the lack of memory. I believe it has less than 1 MB. Right now I just load a program through the RS-232 USB adapter and all is good, as most of the programs I have been running on it are small, usually just light milling, lots of drilling. If i purchase this for myself I will be running some larger files through it but I'd be just fine with the DNC drip feed option since that's about the only route I can go.

The only real question I have, since I've never drip fed anything before, is that if I run DNC software through a spare computer, will I be able to run production parts like that? My concern is that once it hits the M30, I'll have to manually reload the program from the DNC software again. That's great for one-offs, but not for production which is what I'd be using it for. Is my concern legitimate or will the DNC software or machine know to reload it. I would like to just load another part and hit cycle start when it hits M30 but if I have to reload the program every time, I'll probably pass on this machine. I have a way to get it moved for free, along with a proper sized/type of phase converter for cheap. The only thing thing that slows me down from buying it, besides its age, is the memory.

Re: 93 Haas VFO - DNC Software and Production Parts

Some DNC software (Predator, for one) has what's called "Remote Request" which allows the machine operator to initiate a drip-feed or download from the CNC control by sending a small (2 or 3 blocks) program to the PC.

EXAMPLE:

This program resides in the memory of the Haas:

%
    O8999 (DNC TO CNC)
    (DNC O2001)
    M30
    %

When the operator is ready to run the first part, he "punches" O8999 to the PC, which then queues up O2001 and "sends" it to the CNC.

Let us know who the DNC software is made by and what version it is, and we can maybe get more specific.

Not promoting one over another- But this is who I bought from. Very knowledgeable and helped me get what I needed. Give him a call.. . http://www.highlanddnc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dcoupar View Post
    Some DNC software (Predator, for one) has what's called "Remote Request" which allows the machine operator to initiate a drip-feed or download from the CNC control by sending a small (2 or 3 blocks) program to the PC.

EXAMPLE:

This program resides in the memory of the Haas:

%
    O8999 (DNC TO CNC)
    (DNC O2001)
    M30
    %

When the operator is ready to run the first part, he "punches" O8999 to the PC, which then queues up O2001 and "sends" it to the CNC.

Let us know who the DNC software is made by and what version it is, and we can maybe get more specific.
    Thanks, I haven't picked out any particular DNC program yet. I've seen several different kinds. From computer programs to standalone DNC module boxes. I do have a spare computer I can keep next to the machine and would like the ability to modify programs "at the machine." I think example you wrote here gives me a better idea of what I'm looking for. I'll check into Predator as well. That is a feature I believe I'd like to use. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
    Not promoting one over another- But this is who I bought from. Very knowledgeable and helped me get what I needed. Give him a call.. . Highland DNC, LLC.
    The Shoplink box is what we have currently been using on several machines so I'm slightly familiar with those but I didn't realize it would drip feed. I would prefer to use something that could store and access several part programs when needed as well. Right now, using the Shoplink adapter, I only have 8 or 9 slots for program files. So, one program per folder of course. I would like to have something that stored more as I have several production programs (more than 20, maybe even 30) that are ready to run at any time. The Shoplink works good, I just don't want to have to constantly copy, paste, and rename files all the time. I may call them and see if there is something I'm missing. I'm sure there is... thanks!