585,733 active members*
5,030 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

mach2 LIMIT SWITCH end of stroke reliese?

here's the problem

i have limit switches at the end of my table if i acidenly hit one i get stuck there

it wont let me move the table back
    i have to shut down my driver board and manually move away

this sucks because i lose my step position

its there a buton on mach2 thats acts like an (end of stroke releise) and would let me move the table away from the limit under power?

i was thinking of wireing the grounds of my limits switches to a normally closed button on my control box. so i could bipass my limit switch alowing me to move away from the end of travel under power so i wouldnt lose my steps.

is there a better way?

From section 4-10 of the manual:

In normal use when Mach2 is moving an axis and sees its limit input become active it will
    stop running (like an EStop) and display that a limit switch has been tripped. You will be
    unable to move the axes unless:
    1) Auto limit override is switched on (by a toggle button on the Settings screen). In this
    case you can click Reset and jog off the limit switch. You should then reference the
    machine
    2) You click Override limits button. A red flashing LED warns you of the temporary
    override. This will again allow you Reset and to jog off the switch and will then turn
    itself and the flashing LED off. Again you should reference the machine. An input can
    also be defined to override the limit switches.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thats right go to the Settings screen in Mach2 and click on the "Override Limits" button and then hit "Reset". Now you should be able to move the axis away from the switch. Mach2 will reset the limit function as soon as your axis is clear off it.

JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach2Reset.JPG  

Rather than using the regular limit switches as your main limits, you should try out the soft limits feature of mach2, have it stop about .01 before it hits the actual limits.
    This is of course if you have home switches which I strongly recommend.

Jon

questions

first question...

These pins of the parallel port are pulled up to 5V.

What does that mean? What does it mean to "pull up to"??

Configure the software to be active on "high" or active on "low" as required for your application.

Second... Is this refering to the configuration page in Mach2?

I read in the Mach manual that low is something like 0~1.8 and high is 2.6~5V ... So my question is does the switch change the two form high to low?

My break out board is an axxus DB25 Controller.

Link: http://members.shaw.ca/axxus/db1v20info.htm

And heres what it says about my inputs:

Inputs
    Many software packages will allow the connection of limit, home , and emergency stop switches. Input pins 10, 11, 12, 13, and 15 are used to connect switches to the parallel interface. These pins of the parallel port are pulled up to 5V. To provide a low logic level, the pins are grounded through the switch. Although switches are not sensitive to polarity, the input screw terminals are marked with a plus and minus sign to indicate which pin is pulled high and which is ground. Some trial and error may be necessary to get the inputs to perform as required. Configure the software to be active on "high" or active on "low" as required for your application. Another alternative is to use normally open switch contacts or normally closed contacts to achieve the correct results.

I need to know the best way to hook up my limits and home...

P.s.

Oh yeah... I wanted to run my limits in series and have a home and llimit shared.