585,877 active members*
3,369 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Zeroing Hitachi Wire EDM

I have “inherited” a Hitachi Wire EDM with a Fanuc SP-150 control. I ran this machine 8 or 9 years back but I am having a little trouble getting my bearings on it again.
    I have got it to start up and can jog each axis with no problem. I sent the machine to the home position using REF and holding X + and Y + and it seems to have achieved the home position.
    I tried to do the same for U and V but it traveled so that the wire is at approximately at a 30 deg angle off perpendicular.

Can anyone give me the proper procedure for zeroing out the machine before running a program?

As I recall (Hitachi 3Q) ref return on UV moves over the full stroke then returns to vertical which would be your wire alignment position.

1. Maybe ref return Z
    2. You might need to re wire align your machine.

I haven't used a Hitachi for 10 years so my memory has faded some what like yours but hope this helps

thanks that helped out alot.

Do you happen to know how to reset a 190 alarm?
    One of the guys in the shop killed the main power insted of shutting it down correctly and when we started it back it had the 190 alarm and overtravel alarms in all of the axis in both + and - directions.

Hitachi Ref. point

I have a Hitachi with a Fanuc sp 150 control and you have to reference the x,y,u and v every time you turn it back on. I'll do my best to run through how I do mine.
    push the mdi button
    On the screen push the command button and when you get that screen push the next button
    enter G91, G28, X0, Y0, U0 and V0 [ zero's are following the x,y,u and v] and then push the insert button and they should all arrange in position on the screen
    push cycle start and it will automatically move everything to it's home position.
    in position screen push the machine button and when it's at the final reference point all numbers[x,y,u and v] will read all zeros.
    Then push the jog button and the center button in the u and v pad and it will return to it's previous squared position.
    You can now move the x and y away from their corner.
    Now you can run a program . I hope this helps you. I also inherited a Hitachi 203 M and had to learn all this from scratch. luckily I found someone who had one and was generous enough to help me with it. Steve