585,758 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Eccentric Turning on LB 300

Eccentric Turning on LB 300

Hi all,

We are about to take delivery of an LB 300BMYC and have a job coming up, a camshaft of sorts that requires 4 different eccentric diameters (roughly 2" - 50mm diameters) turned on a 1" shaft, both ends being concentric. I was interested seeing if anyone has ever programmed anything similar either eccentric turning or turn milling and what software would generate such a program. We currently use partmaker for our cam software on our swiss machines and other lathes, and I cannot see any option for programming anything of this sort.

Thanks for any help on the matter

Jimmy

Can't help with the actual program, but I have seen it done on pretty much std. Okuma lathes. Okuma even had a cam turning lathe, looked like a cadet with the turret removed and a tool post added. The tool was almost a blurr when it was turning. It was done with macro programming, that much I know.

One of our company's clients is producing some excentric shafts. It's hard to advice something not seeing a picture of the product. Milling function doesn't helps much with excentric. Combination of Y axis engage and milling can help in some cases.
    Okuma provides a special equipped turret for lathe cam turning. Check if this machine has the one, it is "cam version".
    One touch IGF is the best for that kind programming, in my opinion. It needs to be adjusted properly first, and then You go on the air.

Okuma lathes can do this, You need to use C & Y axis with G02/G03 commands. Call your local Apps guy, He will know how to do it

Since you specified "turning" this you will need to use either a CAM lathe or you will need to use the G88 threading cycle which can "time" your axis feed with the spindle revolution. I've done this to make oil ring grooves where you use a radius groove tool to feed down in X, move in Z both negative and then positive, and then pull out in X. It makes a figure 8 pattern on your part, with the sharpness of the top and bottom of the 8 controlled by your RPM and the acceleration curve of your machine.

This is a LAP cycle so you can specify depth of cut/pass and finish stock allowances, etc. while you make it. It's somewhat trial and error to get the exact shape you want, but it can be done with some limitations...

Best regards,