585,883 active members*
4,924 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

newb has a question

So my dad picked up this old bridgeport nc machine, the table is flawless, but i was wondering is their anyway i can hook this machine up to a normal computer like the one im on right now?

You want to cnc it?
    Then yes, you have come the the right place.
    you will need software, servo motors,power supply for motors, and a few modifications ie. brackets/pulleys/belts. the biggest mod. will be to the "z" axis.If you have extra bling bling you want to consider changing the acme screws out to ball screws?
    menomana

It already has ball screws, I realized we would need servo motors but didnt realize we needed a different power supply.

I guess what i really needed to ask is what program would you reccomend to run this mill, and how does the cpu really commiunicate with the mill, through a serial port?

Oh I see, ok, well Mach2 is popular around here. But if you goto the forums area you will see that there are a lot of options some more $$ then others.

You will need to meet the power requirements of the new servos, unless the current one is big enough to handle the conversion. Do you know what it currently is?
    Yes, I believe you will find comm options for serial, even usb in some software sellers.

Basiclly your PC running the new softare will talk to the 3 drives(which you will also have to purchase) Drives such as "Gecko" or "rutex" are good choices, your drives interface to the servos and encoders giving positional information,and recieving back position verification to the software.
    Are you familiar with G-code programming or Acad? as you will most likely need to have a basic understanding of that too once the converson is done and you want to start cutting.
    menomana

i know the mill is a series II, thats about it. I dont have any experience with g-code or acad, however im sure ill have plenty of time to play with it once we get the electronic stuff we need. btw, would you mind reccomending a power supply and servo motors?

also, what am going i need brackets, belts, and pulleys for>?

I saw some Bridgeport stepper motors on Ebay not to long ago. I don't know if these will work for you or not. Search "steppermotor".
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Hi,
    Was this a cnc mill already? How did it get ball screws if it was not cnc? There are questions about what you are starting with. A knee mill should have nema42 servo motors to drive the axis. Just keep looking at web sites like this one, untill you understand more, just don't take anyones advice and go for it..... understand things a little more before you make a desision. If this is a manual series 2 Bridgeport, it is worth about 3 times, or more, what a cnc Bridgeport with a dead cnc control is worth, and the dead cnc already has motor mounts etc. on it, and would be way easier to retrofit.
    Buck Case
    Spring Lake cnc llc
    (just short of 500 cnc retrofits now)

sounds like you have an old boss 1 nc mill,i bet it has stepper motors already
    might be able to use the old stepper motors if they are still good,i recomend
    new stepper drivers and power supply,i would buy geckos 201 driver and maybe 54 volts supply,check the motors out first
    steve