585,589 active members*
2,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Optical Tool Setter / Probe

I have a VF-1 mill with an optical tool setter and a wireless probe. Yesterday I use the probe to set my work offsets and the optical tool setter to set the tool lengths for a program. When I ran the program the depth of cut was too deep. It was programmed to cut .010 but the actual cut was about .030 to .040 deep. I can call up tools that were used in previous jobs and program them to go to 1.000 above the part surface and a 1.000 gage block will fit perfectly. However any new tools set with the optical tool setter will not allow the gage block to go between the part and the tool. The tip of the tool is about .030 to .040 to low. Both the tool setter and the probe were set up by the installer. What has happened?

P.S. Other people besides me run this machine.

is the probe tip loose?
    the tool setter have chips on it or in the pivot points? did someone acidently ht the tool setter with a part?

other than that you may have to reset your tool setter.

OH one other thing, are you sure you have the right G fixture offset in there? I know it sounds too easy but I have done that a few times as I normally run g55 however my g56 is the exact( X and Y ) same except I sometimes adjust the z depth on it to make minor changes.

Thanks for the reply.

The probe tip is not loose.

No chips visible on the tool setter.

Other guys that operate the machine do not think anyone hit the tool setter with a part.

The G fixture offset is the first thing I checked.

As I said the guy that installed the machine set up the probe and tool setter. I have no clue how to reset the tool setter. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you run the Z Calibration macro in VQC? You need to calibrate the OTS with a tool of known length. There is a video on youtube that covers this. Go to youtube and search renishaw OTS calibration.

Yup, it sounds to me like somebody started touching off tools without the presetter or messed up the settings on the probe. I'd go through the three VQC calibration steps, then touch off all the tools. Everything should be fine after that.
    Greg

I found the video and will give it a shot. Thanks

We ran all three calibration steps as suggested and then touched off the tools. Ran a small test program and all seems to be well now. Was much easier than I thought it would be. Learned alot about the machine today. Thanks to everyone who responded.