585,712 active members*
3,811 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > It moved! Not all but some.

It moved! Not all but some.

Ok today with the dedication of a few on this board got my Z & X to move. However there were and are still some issues.
    1. Though Z & X moved, I could only get both axis to move if I plugged the DB9 of each axis into the Z of the G540. Even though I mimicked the settings on on the X in all of the settings I could find. I know that stepper works as it works great when plugged into the Z @ the G540 as stated above. I have set the ports and pins, step and direction to port 1. Also the Z when jogging will sometimes just reverse direction though I havent changed anything or hit any switches. Still holding the jog key when it reverses. I havent checked for noise or touched the debounce yet. Still stumped why I cant get X to work in the X outlet.
    2. I have not hooked up my tool changers stepper because of the potential resistance, meaning I dont understand the physical connections.

TC (Vexta PH266) Yellow(4) -Blue All pairs are 5.4 ohm
    Red(2) -Orange
    WhiteYellow(4) -Red
    WhiteRed(2) -Green
    Orange(3) -Purple
    Black(1) -Yellow
    WhiteOrange(3) -Brown
    WhiteBlack(1) -Gray
    I am not sure why I am hesitant to connect this stepper. I am under the impression that due to the high ohms, if it is connected in parallel it would be too high for the G540. Can anyone clarify how to hook that stepper up correctly?

Excellent progress!

Try the X on one of the other G540 Axes to rule out a defective X driver. Check the connections on the DB9s one stray wire making contact can cause problems.

The Vexta is rated at 1.2A--Well within the G540 envelope. Its coil resistance has nothing to do with it. Identify the A and B phases and connect it.

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Ok so I hooked all of the axis (A, X & Z) up to the known working drive on the G540(Z). I dont suspect the g540 yet probably a setting or tuning issue. All steppers worked, slowly but they worked. The tool changer is a ratcheting type, the stepper goes 1 way continuously if desired. the other direction it spins less than 60 deg and locks against the ratchet for each tool. No torque in the tool changer stepper but cant see why it would need to be strong. Z & X both seem to have considerable push against my arm/hands resistance. Also I am only using 24v of the 48v available. One reason was to protect the G540 until set up and the second was because I am not sure how to series 2 Lambda power supplies to provide 48vdc 4.5A from (2) 24vdc 4.5A. I am sure there would have to be a diode or something to keep 1 from feeding the other. Again that could be a flaw in my thinking.

All 3 axis are now working with their correct drives. More to follow as motor tuning and settings come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    All 3 axis are now working with their correct drives. More to follow as motor tuning and settings come into play.
    You tackled a tough project and are making it work. Good job! Well done!

CR.

Dont tell me I've tackled it, I was just getting over the hesitancy! Now what? Am I supposed to make something? ;-) Anyway there is a lot more to do. Movement does give a newfound enthusiasm. I cant imagine how anyone figured this stuff out in the 80's before the net was available. No wonder my machine was left unused or just til the first fault or misunderstanding of the controls. Left me with a great machine! Woo Hoo!

For your Power supply:

I don't generally recommend connecting 2 PSUs in series. It CAN be done, but there are pitfalls for the unwary. At the very least, you are adding a dimension of unreliabilty. At the worst, you could cause a lot of smoke and damage.

For very little money--$60, you can buy a good KL-350-48 48V, 7.3A PSU that will work nicely:

http://kelinginc.net/SwitchingPowerSupply.html

CR.

CR, I was very hesitant to do it myself. It was already configured that way to supply the 48vdc prior to my disassembly. I just didnt make note of all of the wiring since I knew I was going to redo it all. Also originally 1 of the power supplies LED power indicators was not on, leaving me to believe it wasnt working. When they were apart everything worked fine, so I got some instruction on how to connect them in series safely (Thanks "Al the Man"). This also allows me to use the original backplate that supports all of the electronics. I could have reused it no matter what but I would have to redrill and tap. I ran it all for at least an hour yesterday not cutting anything just moving the axis' and everything was running cool to lightly warm at the most (G540 & power supply). I also have a dedicated 5vdc supply in this bundle. I tried to be cautious when connecting this up and of course did a few things wrong before asking (Parallel & Series together is not the same as Series or Parallel LOL) somehow the magic smoke stayed in 2 different times that I watched the lights go out during an incorrect connection being made. CR it would have been difficult to impossible without your help! It is funny, I have been reading and trying to figure this cnc stuff out for about 2 years. Reading a lot and not understanding much. I have converted a Sherline mill, Sherline lathe and now a Dyna lathe. In all the forums I participated in (Cnczone, Yahoo groups Mach3, Hobby cnc, Dyna, Practical Machinist and the list goes on), I have been helped by the same 5-6 people! Cnc zone has 147,000 members but it is always CR, Al the Man, Hood, Vintageracer and a few others. THANKS

YW! Glad to have been of assistance. I'm always pleased when my efforts to help work out. Besides, you did all the hard work.

BTW, You should link this thread to the first one so others can follow your progress from the beginning.

CR.

You mean its fragmented like my thought process?