585,712 active members*
4,131 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

job search help

i am just learning and am looking for a job. i have about 5 years experience with cnc mills and manual mills and lathes. i was recently laid off a couple months ago and am looking for a new job in a machine shop. my last job was given to me by a friend of my fathers. i have been looking on the internet for new job openings but havent found any. i am 21 and i live in the daytona beach fl area and was looking for advice on finding a new job. i am not real experienced with looking for a job since my last one was the only one i have ever had and it was basically given to me.

Try indeed.com, this is a search engine that posts most if not all the jobs posted in the web, just type in "CNC" plus your city, and if you are considering relocation just type the specific state you want to relocate and so on. Make sure you click on "date" at the upper right hand side of the page to get the latest postings. Check craigslist.org aswell.

Just finding job openings is one thing, landing the job is the next. It is good that you are tapping into this network but there are others networks that you are already part off. Ask the guys you were working with and for if they have any ideas. Talk to the people at church, and other social events. Don't cry about being laid off, present it as an opportunity for growth.

While you are looking for an opening take time to catalog your skills.
    What have you been working on, Machines, function, training. Have documentation of training, certificates that you have earned, etc.

Refine your resume to one page, period. It is one of the toughest things you will write. Make it sharp, correctly spelled pay to have it done if you must but get it right. High school and High School sports are a single line each at most.

Have samples of the work you have done in a neat tool box, sample of code that you created, solid models, etc. Do not fluff your resume, this is a time to blow your own horn but you have to be able to back it up.

If you can't have real products to show then good pictures of your work will help. Prepare a bound folder (Staples can help here) that you can leave after the interview. Now when you get a chance to interview, research the company, know what they make, who the owner, manager, etc are and if it is a private or public company.

Research their history, how did they start, how long have they been in business, how many employees to they have, where are their other locations? If you don’t have the answers to some of these questions, you might find them handy to ask during the interview.

The web is wonderful here. Also find out who their competitors are, This can lead to other interviews too. If you are not excited by what this business does, at least go in with an open mind. You would be amazed at how many people kill their chances at really cool jobs because the relied on only what their buddies told them about a place.

Go on to your computer social network pages and clean them up, take off the photos of the beer parties and the fowl language, HR staff are spending a lot of time getting to know you before they hire and Facebook, Myspace etc has killed a lot of opportunities for people who did not clean them up. Tell you buddies to cool it too on these social networks, unless they want to support you for awhile because you can’t find a job.

Make sure that what you claim in your resume and in your presentation is actually what you have done.

If you have a smudges on your record be able to talk about them in a straight forward manner.

Before you go to the interview find out how many will be in the interview and have a presentation booklet ready to leave with each one. Don’t ask if they want one but as soon as you are asked about your skills, have them ready to hand out. Have the presentation put together so that you can use it as an outline as you walk them through your work and related skills.

Be able to talk about what you do in your leisure time. Are you part of any sports related groups (this can be good and bad depending on how you approach it). To much involvement can take you away or make you unavialalbe for overtime etc.

Personal appearance. Go into the interview looking sharp, clean and ready to go to work. If you wear dress clothes to interview in, have a set of work clothes with you or at least a pair of coveralls or be willing to risk the clothes that you are wearing. If you travel for the interview, change clothes before the interview. Don't go in with road food stains dribbled down the front of your shirt.

Have your safety glasses and other safety equipment available in case you are ask to demonstrate your skills. I have been impressed by guys that were able to transition from an interview to a work environment quietly, and were prepared to do so.

In your presentation set out some personal goals that you would like to achieve in the future. This is a good time to find out if the company will keep you trained and current in the field as time goes on. They will be impressed that you are thinking ahead and have set some reasonable goals.

Be careful with the jokes, you can blow an interview so very quickly by cracking the wrong joke in a interview. Watch you language. Shop talk will not set will in a mixed interview team. You are not talking to your peers, you are talking to the people that will invest a lot of money in you in the future and they must feel that you will make them money.

I hope this helps some. One other thing, practice interviewing. Ask some of your older friends or other business people to give you a practice interview. The more you can do the better you are. Remember if you are not willing to do this kind of prep, somebody else will. Also learn to phone interview. If you are applying for distant positions it can really help to be able to make a great presentation over the phone. Here you would want to e-mail your presentation before hand so they would have it. Put it in a PDF file so that everyone can open it.

After the interview, send a thank you card, not an e-mail to each person that was on the interview team. They should give you business cards during the interview when you had them your presentation with your card on it. If they don't have it a call to their HR department will get the address and name info that you need to do this.

This is all about selling, selling your self, making them know that you are a cut above any other applicant and that you want to have the opportunities that are being offered.

BE POSITIVE IN EVERY THING YOU PRESENT AND SAY.

Good luck

Lowell

Do you have cnc lathe exp? And I take it you have haas mill exp. since your posting in the haas forum. What shop were you working at. I am in Melbourne. I also know of a shop in Ormand called Ormand machine. I don't know if they are hiring. But Burt Walker owns Ormand Machine and he is a vere nice guy.

i have no cnc lathe exp. worked in a shop in sanford florida called integrated design and development

Re: job search help

It used to be a problem for me to find a job as well, but eventually, I found developer jobs in the Netherlands, and since I've never been against moving, it turned out to be a real salvation for me. If you're interested, you can consider finding job offers with relocation assistance as well, it's not that hard.

Re: job search help

I understand that finding a new job can be challenging, especially if you are not familiar with the job search process. However, you have five years of experience with CNC mills, manual mills, and lathes, which is valuable in the job market.

My advice to you is to use online job boards, such as Indeed, Monster, and Glassdoor. These platforms have job listings from various industries, including machine shops. You can also contact recruitment agencies that specialize in the manufacturing industry. They may be able to connect you with potential employers who are looking for someone with your skills and experience.

Networking is also crucial in finding a job. Use your personal and professional network to your advantage and ask if they know of any job openings in the industry. Attend job fairs in your area and meet potential employers.

Make sure your resume is up-to-date and highlights your skills and experience in the manufacturing industry. You may also want to create a LinkedIn profile to expand your professional network.

Remember to stay persistent in your job search and don't get discouraged if it takes some time to find the right opportunity. With your experience and skills, I am confident that you will find a new job soon. Good luck!