585,573 active members*
3,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hyundai Kia > Hyundai/KIA VX400-500 vs Hass VF2

Hyundai/KIA VX400-500 vs Hass VF2

Does anybody have any expeience with either of these Hyundai/KIA VX400-500. We currently have a HAAS VF1 and are thinking of adding a VF2 but are considering different machines as well. We are quite happy with the HAAS but the price of the VX400 and 500 is attractive. They both come with the Fanuc 0iM control.

Thanks,
    Geoff

G'day Geoff,

I have never used VX400-500 you are looking at but have used a machine with the Fanuc 0im control. Personally, I would not look past the Haas and when it came time to buy my own machine I bought a Haas VF5. I now have the VF5 and a VF1 and could not be happier with them.
    Just my opinion.

Regards,
    Dave.
    Boulder Creek Tramway: www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek

Thanks for the reply. We ended up buying a used Milltronics Rw-15. It only has 500 hrs on it. It basically brand new and we got it for half what a new one is worth and it came with alot of tooling. The control is taking a bit of getting use to but other than that it seems like a great machine.

The VX400 and 500 are rock solid machines, so if you have an opportunity in the future I would not hesitate. The VX500 in 40 taper is an excellent machine for ripping off metal and is brought in standard with a 10K spindle, chiller, CTS, and 211 ft. lbs of torque. The VX400 does not have all the toys, but it is still a nice cutting machine.

As a Hyundai-Kia dealer, I can tell you that we have transitioned many MANY Haas, Fadal type customers over to Hyundai-Kia. One of the most common statements I hear Haas users tell us when they are buying Hyundai-Kia after having Haas machines is that they like the Haas control but there is not much machine behind the control. I have to assume that when people buy a haas, they are buying the has control. When they buy a Hyundai-Kia, they are getting more serious about machining. HK machines are simply heavier and more robust with a plethra of standard features you have to pay extra for on so many other brands. The HK VX400/500 come standard with more standard HP, 12K/10K high torque spindles, a real dedicated chiller (not just recirc coolant), filtered through spindle coolant with a dedicated pump, wash down system with a dedicated pump, air/hydraulic draw bar that offers 2-3 times the amount of pull stud retention than Haas' pnuematic type, side mount ATC and a 2 year warranty on the fanuc control. Haas service is great but when a machine tool supplier has to have so mny vans stocked with parts they have pre-determined will fail on your machine, that raises a red flag for me, sorry. As a dealer having sold over 500 Hyundai-Kia's, I can tell you that the HK machines simply don't need that kind of support to stay running and productive. When you buy a well engineered product built with good components, your buying reliability and performance; it simply doesn't need a shelf or van full of stuff they know is going to fail on your machine that they get to charge you for.

Quote Originally Posted by CAN MACHINE View Post
    Thanks for the reply. We ended up buying a used Milltronics Rw-15. It only has 500 hrs on it. It basically brand new and we got it for half what a new one is worth and it came with alot of tooling. The control is taking a bit of getting use to but other than that it seems like a great machine.
    Your aware you can get that control software offline right? Milltronics has offline CAM system that is exactly like the control so you can program offline and transfer programs.