584,833 active members*
5,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hyundai Kia > Hyundai/KIA CNC Lathes? Any good?

Hyundai/KIA CNC Lathes? Any good?

As similar to my other post we are also looking at another CNC Lathe. We are considering the following models:

SKT210Y/SY
    SKT25

They both come with the Fanuc 18iTB control

We were not really looking for anything with a sub spindle but the price is really attractive.
    How do you program it? Mastercam?
    What is the build quality like?
    Is it easy to get parts in North America?

Thanks,
    Geoff

The quality is ok, parts not a problem that i've seen. Better than a lot of other machines. Hyundai used to be better than Kia, don't know now, since i think they have merged. A shop owner friend of mine said they are no Okuma, but they are ok for the price. He has had a few spindle problems but bought another kia anyway. IMO the absolute best live tool lathe right now is the Mori NL series, with the integral live tool motor, but your gonna pay for it. A good friend just bought a new NL1500SMC ( no Y axis, live tooling with sub) for 116K. He got a deal. So that will give you some idea.

Thanks for the response. We have been quoted $90,000 CAD for the SKT210Y so it's not that far off. I will look into the MORI's

Kia/Huyndai, they are a great machine. Mori is great, but change over take too long, I like Mazak configuration better, quick change over and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    A good friend just bought a new NL1500SMC ( no Y axis, live tooling with sub) for 116K. He got a deal. So that will give you some idea.
    he is getting a good deal.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Great thanks for the replies. Any experience with the Hyundia/Kia mills?

I've worked on 2 in past history. Not impressed with the mills at all.

I have a VX400, almost 3 years old. In the first year they had to replace the spindle twice. Faulty O rings. Aside of that it has been a good machine.

As a dealer service organization for 25 years, I can tell you that the Hyundai-Kia CNC's have been one of the best we've had to offer. The standard features and detail of the machines are superior to Haas, Fadal, Doosan, Hwacheon, and any of the Taiwanese builders. Since we have to provide the warranty service for machines we sell at our own cost, it's been our most profitable product line considering the fact we don't have to service it that much. CNC's in general are electro-magnetic-mechanical-pnuematic and sometimes hydraulic systems so your going to have issues with it from time time. We have experienced less of these issues with Hyundai-Kia than we have with other lines.

Hi,

How about the smaller gang style lathes, like the KIT-250.

Also, as the price increases do the capabilities scale??

Paul

NOOOO. do NOT waste your money. i have never worked with a machine with so many problems. i dread the thought of going to work and having to be on that machine.

VX950M

Ive spent considerable time on VX950M, rigid machine, controller is pretty basic. fairly accurate. No where near as nice as a matsuura or mazak.

Mike

Re: Hyundai/KIA CNC Lathes? Any good?

We got a Hyundai WIA L700 2 years ago and it's a nightmare in comparison to the Doosan Puma 700 (most of our machines are Doosans). They decided to get the Hyundai because a Puma 700 wasn't available at the time (should have waited a few months!).

First I thought it IS a Puma 700 because it looks pretty much the same. Technically it's not a bad machine (same as Doosan) BUT the FEW things THEY designed are just a PAIN in the ass!

Maybe it's the German in me but there are SO many details that just get on your nerves on a daily basis. Little things like SCREWS (what about MAGNETS?) for daily maintenance doors (way-lube tank, chuck solenoid...) or protruding handles (instead of flush ones on the Puma) that required a cutout on the door! Thanks for the coolant leak!

The boring bar holders are ridiculously designed! Just cheap! As I said - whenever you see a difference to the Puma 700, they managed to made a worse design!

The way-lube setting on this machine is also WAY off! We fill up the lub-tank every second day! Since it's still on warranty, our maintenance man doesn't want to adjust it. But it uses at least 4 times more oil than the Puma 700.

We had to get the software adjusted several times until it worked smoothly (tail stock errors, turret indexing errors, gear change errors...). As if they don't check any function before they deliver the machine!

The design flaws are just an eye sore! I guess the CNC business has not much to do with their automobile division because while their cars are now considered premium when it comes to design, reliability and build quality, this CNC lathe is inferior to Doosans we have in the shop!

We had 3 HMC's that we sold after a year of use. We had nothing but problems with them. Always had to work on ATC and coolant issues.

Re: Hyundai/KIA CNC Lathes? Any good?

Here is a page of Hyundai Wia CNC Reviews
    https://www.hillaryinc.com/hyundai-wia-cnc-reviews.htm

hope it helps