584,849 active members*
4,429 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Childish Censorship
Page 3 of 5 12345
    More doodling around and I found this posted by Himself on practicalmachinist:

Re the z*ne, everytime the site is mentioned here it becomes a link back that increases their search engine ranking (from the most desirable relevant site on the web for metalworking linkbacks...i.e. PM), thus the ban on even discussing the place.

I suppose there is some validity in this reasoning but it doesn't seem to be working as I found with my test searches.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

if it was a true discussion forum then linking and ranking wouldn't be a problem but I suppose cnczone is a financial threat , both forums are money generating machines , the amount of adds on each site are a good indication of that . if his ratings fall or everything gets directed to here then why would his advertisers stick with him when they can come to the place that gets more traffic .

don't get me wrong , I understand that running a forum is expensive and advertising helps run it , i am not implying that anyone is getting rich nor am I implying anything other than what I stated .
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I was just on PM today and there was a post by the owner that any thread that mentions that "zone place" will be locked. The guy is a grumpy old man who is getting worse by the day. PM is much better than here for machining advice as long as that advice does not entail building one's own CNC machine or help purchasing Chinese machines. I like both places.

it does makes sense if he wants the forum to run under a certain type of format and to have the members stick to it , I don't think its fair to their members to have posts blocked when they are trying to help someone else by giving them a link elsewhere
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    PM is much better than here for machining advice
    They may have a greater quantity of machinist overall, but that is not to say that the machining advice here is of any less quality.
    I can personally vouch that there are machinist here that are equally as capable as any of the PM posters I have read, and in fact there are some that post in both anyway.
    I am not a machinist, BTW.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I once visited there.....Didn't seem as friendly as here!
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    More doodling around and I found this posted by Himself on practicalmachinist:

Re the z*ne, everytime the site is mentioned here it becomes a link back that increases their search engine ranking (from the most desirable relevant site on the web for metalworking linkbacks...i.e. PM), thus the ban on even discussing the place.

I suppose there is some validity in this reasoning but it doesn't seem to be working as I found with my test searches.

That's what I was trying to explain back in post #30
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

I highly value any medium to foster knowledge and growth without stifling censorship. It opens discussions to a variety of input, to help the community grow as a whole. Those within their own fragile bubble, surrounded by a "great(?) wall" will not survive the human survival instinct of adaptation. Before joining, CNC Zone cam up in in the top few responses for many of my original CNC info searches. This was more than enough reason to join. Censorship shows a sites focus is more money than info. Thanks CNC Zone for the open mind :cheers:

Jim

I think in the "other place" they have PM syndrome. My girlfriend gets that every month and she's always nasty when she gets it lol.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Milacron just doesn't understand much about the Internet or people. He wants a set of policies that foster his return on investment in PM. So, since as a machine dealer he hates Chinese tools, he won't let anyone post about them. As the owner of a BBS, he doesn't want any other BBS to get any attention.

But the Internet works just like people, because it is people. So those tactics don't work so well.

Exclusionary moderation doesn't ever grow the interest in your site. It just annoys people. Moderation aimed at making sure everyone has an enjoyable time is a lot different thing. And abuse by the owner, even if it is petty abuse like jumping down someone's throat if he doesn't like the answer to his question, leaves a particularly bad taste.

He is also wrong about the simple mention of CNCZone improving search ranking. It's only the links that do, so to ban even the mere mention is only successful at annoying people.

What's silly is he thinks he is helping his business, but he is actually hurting it. He's hurting himself more than helping. Nevertheless, there is good content there and it is worth frequenting to see it. Just be careful if you open your mouth, and remember, it's his sandbox so he gets to make the rules.

BTW, I will second the notion that there is just as good a content here. Anyone who thinks only PM has good professional machinist information hasn't read threads like the one where a variety of people like Geof were trying to help the gentlemen thread a really deep hole on a lathe.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Milacron just doesn't understand much about the Internet or people. He wants a set of policies that foster his return on investment in PM. So, since as a machine dealer he hates Chinese tools, he won't let anyone post about them. As the owner of a BBS, he doesn't want any other BBS to get any attention.

LOL,

He doesn't like "Chinese" tools, but he does like to censor, isn't that ironic...

Free DXF - vectorink.com

We just had the dubious 'honour' up here of hosting your Ann Coulter, I was going to send her an email suggesting she join PM.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I've never heard of Practical Machinist. How funny.

I guess having 50,000 members is a big deal. Unless of course you have 150,000 members.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
    I've never heard of Practical Machinist. How funny.

I guess having 50,000 members is a big deal. Unless of course you have 150,000 members.
    Bam!!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

That Milacron person deletes Harbor Freight comments. If you look in older posts or were around a couple years ago he talked about going to his local HF and there was a good looking girl that had purple hair and was flirting with him??????????? He told that she did that everytime he went in.

He wants you to show a pic of you face for an avatar. His avatar is an old foundry.

A year or so ago he agreed that dealers that didn't list their price were just trying to keep away the home machinist that were moneyless.

Now he says it bothers him to not see prices listed and he avoid those dealers.

He listed a craigslist ad for a cnc turret lathe and harassed the man over his asking price. It was embarrassing. The man never backed down and had some good comebacks.

When the guy started getting the best of him he started deleting the mans posts and locked the thread.

If you are not an ass kisser he will block some of your posts.

heinz

I just tried to PM someone on there to tell them about this site. The guy responded and asked what *******.com was? So now CNC.Zone will get edited out anywhere on that site. I still need to use that site or I would probably say something that would get me banned, it is very hard to bite my tongue. I actually donated $100 to that site a few years ago when they were trying to get donations for a new server, instead of selling advertising, boy do I feel stupid for donating money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I just tried to PM someone on there to tell them about this site. The guy responded and asked what *******.com was? So now CNC.Zone will get edited out anywhere on that site. .
    A week or so ago after I came across this thread, I went to my account on PM and added cnczopne.com into my profile as an interest. It was edited to *****.
    Seems a strange way to act to me.
    Regards
    Geoff

I did a Google search for the keyword "cnczone", scroll to the bottom/left side of the page, & look at the first "Related Search", lol

After all that editing out cnczone on Practical Machinist forums, Google still looks at both sites being related.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.PNG  
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Don't mean to change subject, But, whats the criteria on this site for censorship?

By a moderator that was made to look bad?

cary

Quote Originally Posted by packrat View Post
    Don't mean to change subject, But, whats the criteria on this site for censorship?

By a moderator that was made to look bad?

cary
    I quite like the "auto censor" ie when I say ****wit I expect it to say ****wit or Dickhead should come out as ****head....Seems fairly decent not to have a stranger in your living room spouting obscenities... Which mod exactly :evil:
    Keith

Page 3 of 5 12345