5,135 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Childish Censorship
Page 4 of 5 2345
    Oops... I'm a mucky gob
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by packrat View Post
    Don't mean to change subject, But, whats the criteria on this site for censorship?

By a moderator that was made to look bad?

cary
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Strictly speaking it is not censorship to delete content it is merely a revocation of privilege and license as per this from the link Al gave:

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE ON THIS SITE. YOU HAVE A PRIVILEGE AND A LICENSE, WHICH MAY BE REVOKED AT ANY TIME.

It is the same as you being a guest in my house; I can dictate the topic of conversation if I so choose, you can always leave and say what you will in a public place. It is censorship if a government prevents to doing this.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

hey, everyone~~

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    It is the same as you being a guest in my house; I can dictate the topic of conversation if I so choose, you can always leave and say what you will in a public place. It is censorship if a government prevents to doing this.
    I undertsand your point completely and I'm not saying you are wrong in any way.

But proving this forum is not "a public place" would be a very difficult legal challenge, as it would be with any large and easy to enter forum.

Strictly speaking it is not censorship to delete content it is merely a revocation of privilege and license as per this from the link Al gave:

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE ON THIS SITE. YOU HAVE A PRIVILEGE AND A LICENSE, WHICH MAY BE REVOKED AT ANY TIME.

A cop told me that exact thing 30 years ago...regarding my driving licence ...Wheelies on the public highway eh
    Keith

lmao! I got done for that too many years ago on a busy city centre road in Glasgow. You could pop wheelies in third gear on an RD350LC
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I agree with the privilege and license part, but for a privileged/moderator to delete a complete post without even saying that that post ever existed is to me overstepping the bounds of moderation. Especially when the post was a dialog between the two parties.

There was no anger or bad words involved, just a differing viewpoint. On most forums when something is censored the moderator leaves a message- "post deleted do to content", or something similar. Not a total deletion with no acknowledgment.

With this kind of power a moderator can manipulate the perception of a fellow members character.

cary

Are you talking about a post that was deleted here?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Are you talking about a post that was deleted here?
    Yes, but now that it is gone there is no way to prove it was deleted. My word as a newbie on the forum against a mod.

cary

Most deleted posts are still viewable by the moderators.

But I don't see any of yours that may have been deleted.

No posts should have been deleted for having a different viewpoint. Imo, no posts should ever get deleted, but in the cases where they do, it's usually due to the users not following the rules and leaving us no choice.

If you have a problem in the future, PM me.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

packrat,

Are you sure the post was deleted?

Sometimes post get moved around the forums, to keep everything in order, If a Mod thinks it's a better forum for the subject.

Example:
    You wouldn't want a new router build, in the plasma forums.

Can you tell us what the Title of the thread was, I'll do a search. Most times the Title isn't changed If the thread is moved to another forum, so it is possible that it still exist, I'm not saying it does, just that it's possible.
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

And that is different than what Al is talking about on the other fourm in what way? OK for here and bad on P... M....? I don't get it, seems equally bad on both....

I wasn't expressing an opinion on whether it is good, bad or indifferent; just pointing out that it is not really censorship.

The owner of the forum can set whatever limits he/she wants to set, as Switcher points out the prohibition on links to here from there seems a bit pointless and even if it is not censorship it is a bit immature.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I realize that the owner of a site has a perfect choice as to what he or they deem fit to be included in members posts.
    Personally I find it reasonable to expect members to post without rancour and debate a subject without heaping abuse on the person just because you do not agree with his views.
    And Generally this is why the majority of posts get removed.
    By the time it has come to this, I assume most of the posters have seen the writing on the wall and know full well why a post disappears, there is no move to denying anyone that has opposing views from posting.
    Most people that bad mouth others, would most likely not do that if they were in face to face situation.
    The thing that irked me about the other site, besides his sometimes caustic reply's to others posts trying to help, was mainly by blotting out reference to anyone he thinks is competing with him, including P.M.s.
    I have always had the belief, if you have a superior product, you don't need to tell everyone your better, they usually find out for themselves.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I have always had the belief, if you have a superior product, you don't need to tell everyone your better, they usually find out for themselves.
    Al.
    Couldn't agree more Al
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If you have a problem in the future, PM me.

Gerry, thank you. cary

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    packrat,

Are you sure the post was deleted?

Sometimes post get moved around the forums, to keep everything in order, If a Mod thinks it's a better forum for the subject.
    Switcher, maybe I'm using the wrong terminology here. To me a thread is the on going discussion, and, a post is a reply in that thread.

What I'm talking about is a reply in an on going thread.

I guess what I'm getting at is, if it was done to me, how many times has it been done before?

How many Moderators are there here on the forum? Usually on the forums there is a list of the moderators, some where. I did a search for moderators but couldn't find it.

Thanks for listening to me, cary

Quote Originally Posted by packrat View Post
    What I'm talking about is a reply in an on going thread.

I guess what I'm getting at is, if it was done to me, how many times has it been done before?

How many Moderators are there here on the forum? Usually on the forums there is a list of the moderators, some where.
    What exactly happened to you? Be a bit specific.
    I couldn't find any deletions of yours either, as switcher mentioned, it could be a post that was moved for wrong forum.
    If you look at the Forum list, at the RH side is the name of the Mod for that forum.
    Al.

Albert E.

All I know....

If you need a real answer to a HAAS question, you come to this site.

If you need something.....like a cat suit....go to PM.

(nuts)

Page 4 of 5 2345