585,883 active members*
4,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > cam software for inventor 3d parts

cam software for inventor 3d parts

I am making 3d sculptures in Inventor by lofting and sweeping forms together and recently purchased a cnc milling machine and lathe running Mach 3. What would be a good cheap cam software to use? I am trying to get Edgecam to work but its pretty difficult to learn. Any others out there for a cave man artist rather than pure engineers?

Post a picture of something you'd typically want to make as it might make a difference to our recommendations.

Martin.

the objects are mostly symetrical on one or two axis. I have some turned pieces as well. I would like to make use of my rotary table cnc controlled so I dont have to flip and reposition at some point but I suspect it may be more difficult to cam???
    Attached Files Attached Files

SprutCAM was offered as a CAM software option with the Tormach mill and the price was better than most others, offering similar features.

It works with Inventor - a direct link button can be installed in the Inventor toolbar, or it will directly import ipt, iam.

If you go to the SprutCAM site there's a full function demo available for download. Tormach has done some tutorial videos - check their site under resources then CAD/CAM videos.

I opened your file in Autocad, everything is in paper space.
    Nothing in the model.
    I think you will have issues with any CAM program if its not a solid model.
    I use Alphacam at work, and it will open just about any file format, correctly.
    Including inventor files. Alphacam opened it but your drawing is not usable to tool path from. It should be solids, and surfaces, all it is is a line drawing.

Curious as to why Inventor did not produce a model. I've never used Inventor.

Not meaning to be critical, its a nice looking sculpture.

I use Inventor then import to Edgecam, then run Mach3. I'm no expert but I have a process that works reliably.
    If you have questions I'd be happy to lend a hand wherever I can.
    (its pretty simple once you know how).