586,005 active members*
5,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam & Solidworks 2010 file import

Mastercam & Solidworks 2010 file import

Hi, I am using Mcam X3 (legal version) and cannot import any .sldprt file that we generate in SW 2010. Does any one have a solution for this. What is working is mastercam direct on the SW toolbar, that works fine. But everytime a .sldprt file is opened using file>open command the no parasolid error comes up and if the import tree box is check the Mcam X3 locks up the computer.

Hi, as far as I know the X3 does not support SW 2010 files (the swedish mastercam support team told me so). I have not yet tried to open SW 2010 files in X4 but that should work. In the mean time I export the files to parasolid x_t from SolidWorks and in the export window I click the options button and select parasolid version 16, works great for me. (I cannot start using X4 yet because I'm waiting for one of my postprocessors to be fixed). Hope this will help you..

Thank you for the input on X3, one of the beta testers on emastercam.com told me last night that X4 update 3 will finally work with 2010 and X3 will not. I have to appreciate Mcam's greed to keep you buying the upgrades but that really bites considering we spent almost $17,000 for the whole thing, level 3 mill, lathe, solids and they drop compatibility with mainstream CAD packages unless you purchase the maint. We have another year of depreciation on the software and I can say with 100% confidence I'll be looking for another vendor to replace it.

Good luck on the post, they never did get ours right. The only post that has worked correctly for us is the generic Haas 4th axis mill post, its flawless. The buggy posts were the reason maint. was dropped along with poor sales on our end. When you need to cut expesenses all the stuff you don't like goes first.

The only post writing info that we could get was for version 9. Very secretive post documention is how the Reps make their money after the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by foxsquirrel View Post
    Thank you for the input on X3, one of the beta testers on emastercam.com told me last night that X4 update 3 will finally work with 2010 and X3 will not. I have to appreciate Mcam's greed to keep you buying the upgrades but that really bites considering we spent almost $17,000 for the whole thing, level 3 mill, lathe, solids and they drop compatibility with mainstream CAD packages unless you purchase the maint. We have another year of depreciation on the software and I can say with 100% confidence I'll be looking for another vendor to replace it.

Good luck on the post, they never did get ours right. The only post that has worked correctly for us is the generic Haas 4th axis mill post, its flawless. The buggy posts were the reason maint. was dropped along with poor sales on our end. When you need to cut expesenses all the stuff you don't like goes first.

The only post writing info that we could get was for version 9. Very secretive post documention is how the Reps make their money after the sale.

Well I don’t know who your dealer is but trust me just because they are not doing their job don’t mean you should toss 17k away. What post isn’t working and i would start using X4 if you have it.

As a consultant I am paid to get all my customers Mastercam problems resolved let me know if you want some help.

Quote Originally Posted by inkydo69 View Post
    Well I don’t know who your dealer is but trust me just because they are not doing their job don’t mean you should toss 17k away. What post isn’t working and i would start using X4 if you have it.

As a consultant I am paid to get all my customers Mastercam problems resolved let me know if you want some help.
    The posts are no longer an issue because we bought new Haas machines, our old ones were Yasnac LX3, and a Siemens 850SX. I have no intention to upgrade because I let the maint. drop. When they decide to stop releasing alpha code and spend some time testing I might consider restarting maint. They need to keep me excited with more refined features instead buying maint. to get the latest fixes that should have been caught during alpha/beta. The other thing is they have at least 15 death screen crash reports from me!!!!!!!!!! Not good, the platform is Dell M6400 and Precision workstation both are ISV certified. I have not had any crashes with SolidWorks and that is more graphics intensive than Mcam.

Basically MCAM is very good, its the people in charge of programming that are not doing their job and ensuring a solid product. Bottom line is release a good stable product and entice me to upgrade with enhanced features and at least go back 5 years on file import compatibilty and bug fixes for people that are not into maint.

Basically MCAM is very good, its the people in charge of programming that are not doing their job and ensuring a solid product. Bottom line is release a good stable product and entice me to upgrade with enhanced features and at least go back 5 years on file import compatibilty and bug fixes for people that are not into maint.
    Well hope it all works out for you and I do understand your frustration but I pay for maint. I also have to keep up with my customers and I like the ability to call for support, however that’s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by inkydo69 View Post
    Well hope it all works out for you and I do understand your frustration but I pay for maint. I also have to keep up with my customers and I like the ability to call for support, however that’s just me.
    I have no problem with paying the maint. for SolidWorks, it has not crashed and I have not found any quirks with it. I don't mind paying for something that meets or exceeds my expectations............

I have no problem with paying the maint. for SolidWorks, it has not crashed and I have not found any quirks with it. I don't mind paying for something that meets or exceeds my expectations............
    I see well Mastercam seems to meet and exceed my needs every day, and I still have allot to learn. I am happy and my customers seem to be as well, I don’t know your whole story. I do wish you the best of luck.

foxsquirrel I am to sorry to hear of your troubles. I have not had master cam give me the death screen. , but I know that how the testing is being held for X5 is really being done different due to some release of the past.
    As for the converters I don't know of any software's that update the converters for older versions of the software as there are new release. Did you contact CNC about the post issues. I know for the controls you spoke of there are good posts out there as I have some from older versions of MC from the years of supporting it and programming.

As for solidworks it is good Cad software but I have seen it crash to over the years.
    So far my SW10 sp2.1.
    Do you run XP or Vista or Win7 also 64 or 32 bit?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    foxsquirrel I am to sorry to hear of your troubles. I have not had master cam give me the death screen. , but I know that how the testing is being held for X5 is really being done different due to some release of the past.
    As for the converters I don't know of any software's that update the converters for older versions of the software as there are new release. Did you contact CNC about the post issues. I know for the controls you spoke of there are good posts out there as I have some from older versions of MC from the years of supporting it and programming.

As for solidworks it is good Cad software but I have seen it crash to over the years.
    So far my SW10 sp2.1.
    Do you run XP or Vista or Win7 also 64 or 32 bit?
    Still running XP 32 bit, the Dells are ISV certified to run the high end stuff. MCAM testing/quality program is severly flawed anything changed could be considered an improvement. Its going to be an extremely hard sell to get me back on Mcam Maintanance and an upgrade, more like mission impossible. From what I am seeing price wise from other vendors a fresh seat of brand X will cost as much as an upgrade and maintanance of our X3 MCAM so I think you can understand what will happen. I just found out about VersaMill plugin for SolidWorks and watched the demo, it was very impressive and it was only $3900 for the pro version. That little fly speck company has done something MCam has not even though of, a simple post editor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The only reason we bought mastercam was because Paul Tuttle Sr. has it in his shop, so much for celebrity endorsement.

I just found out about VersaMill plugin for SolidWorks
    Make sure before you jump over to this you get a trial. I see most dealers do a demo and they wont use any of your files as they have a proven part they do over and over.
    When I did demo's I asked the customer for there files so I would do it right there on there file. I would not program the hole job but show them what it can do for there work they do.

JM2C
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Make sure before you jump over to this you get a trial. I see most dealers do a demo and they wont use any of your files as they have a proven part they do over and over.
    When I did demo's I asked the customer for there files so I would do it right there on there file. I would not program the hole job but show them what it can do for there work they do.

JM2C
    I agree with you on that 100%, they all look good in demo video. A few years ago Gibbs came out and the sales rep had an el cheapo laptop that crashed 3 times during the demo, that made my decision very easy.