584,826 active members*
5,227 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 54 of 63 4445253545556
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1243

Re: Electronic home switches made easy!

Look for shieled four core . those are shielded two core. You need power plus signal. ( 3) with the shield going to chassis ground.. Ideally

Sent from my Vodafone 875 using Tapatalk

do you have any link to some cheap somewhere? every place I look wants crazy cash for shielded wire.

Quote Originally Posted by nekidfrog View Post
    do you have any link to some cheap somewhere? every place I look wants crazy cash for shielded wire.
    a quick look on ebay

Blue Canare Quad Core Mic Microphone Cable L 4E6S 06 by The Foot | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by nekidfrog View Post
    I sell a lot of shielded wire for a special purpose. I buy big rolls from John's Wire Shop, on eBay.

Although he typically lists 50 ft and 100 ft lengths, he'll gladly sell you 1 ft, or whatever length you need. Nice guy to work with.

Tom

Hey Guys,
    Now I'll admit that I haven't read all 36 pages of this thread, so if my question has come up before, please excuse my laziness and point me to the appropriate post.
    I bought a linear slide table that has hall effects sensors already installed, but no documentation about which wires are +5v, grnd, nor feed. How does a guy with only a VOM, a 5 volt DC supply, and an LED go about detecting which is which?
    Thanks very much in advance,
    Gary

Any numbers or? on the sensors, what are the wire colour, they are often standard.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I've nothing against hall effect switches, but must point out one possible failing here.

This design is fine for a homing switch, but has a limitation when used as a limit switch.

Good safe design on limit switches suggests that ALL the wiring on limit switches and the emergency stop switches be wired in series. This means that a broken wire or a loose connection anywhere in the system activates the emergency stop feature.

Don't remember all the references (or even the correct wording) here, but there is an (probably an OSHA) rule that requires a machine to be able to shut itself down and cease all movement (including the spindle rotation) when certain events might occur.

There is a lot of wiggle room in this rule. For instance, a small mill, like a Sherline, for example, has steppers that are weak enough so that they just stall when the physical limits are reached. So there are no limit switches installed, and generally not even a physical eStop button.

As machiines get bigger and heavier and faster and more powerful, the rules should be read more as hard guidelines.

As I have absolutely no idea what type of machine any of you are building, I can make no specific suggestions. But do attempt to wire your limit switches in series whenever possible.

Al,
    The wires are black, light blue, dark blue, and red as you can see in the pictures.
    There seems to be a sensor at each end of the slide.
    I did search the website of the manufacturer, but couldn't find anything.
    Thanks!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by GEBrown View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Now I'll admit that I haven't read all 36 pages of this thread, so if my question has come up before, please excuse my laziness and point me to the appropriate post.
    I bought a linear slide table that has hall effects sensors already installed, but no documentation about which wires are +5v, grnd, nor feed. How does a guy with only a VOM, a 5 volt DC supply, and an LED go about detecting which is which?
    Thanks very much in advance,
    Gary
    Look for the resistor!!

The hall effect sensor needs to be pulled high or low, at least knowing where the resistor is helps you find the Output pin.

Also the Hall effect sensor is more for position sensing not limit sensing, Opto's are great and a mechanical switch works good too.

Hope that helps!

crob09
    If by "look" you mean visually look, the pictures show everything I can see. The sensor is built into the table and I'm leery of pulling up on the sensors themselves for fear of impeding the travel of the table.
    Now if you mean "look" with a VOM, I'm all eyes (ears).
    I use optical switches normally, but since these are built in, if I could learn how to wire them into a Gecko G540, I'd have another option to look at. At least I will have learned something new.
    Thanks all.
    Gary

I have ordered the wrong sensors by mistake, and I am really happy about it!

I have ordered the SS411A, which is the bipolar version of the hall sensor. In other words, the switch needs a S > N magnetic field transition to work. So instead of presenting the S face of a magnet, I presented the side of a tiny (4x4x2mm) NdFe magnet.

With a SS441A, the whole magnetic field has to move by the sensor, and for a small mill like mine, this costs valuable millimeters. In my setup, the S > N transition takes place in 2mm. And that is perfect for me.

Just wondering if any of you electronic gurus see any downside using a SS411A?

Thanks a ton,
    Pleine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140731_101430.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	243960
    Lathe: Hobbymat MD65, Mill: Sieg SX2, Mill: Taig CNC MiniMill, Hammers: many

Yup I mean look for the resistor.

Don't pull on things, but find the resistor and you'll find the output wire, it's that simple.

Opto's wire the same way a mechanical limit is wired, Gecko drivers should have silk screen to help with that step.

Alright got mine working. Almost. Everything is repeatable except the z axis. I slowed it down to 20% speed. Still position is off by a mm or so. Any ideas as to what is happening or what I can try.

Steve,

my homing settings are
    X 20pct of 750 = 150, air gap is 1/16
    Y 10pct of 750 = 75, air gap is 1/16
    Z 60pct of 31 = 18, air gap is 1/8

Haven't checked it in a while but was only .001 sometimes, mostly zero.

picture is my Z axis homing setup. The white disk has the magnet in the center flush to the surface, the black speck in the very center of the pic is the sensor. This pic is after a Z homing command.

Move each axis to near home press the arrow/pgup/dn key to move away at 100 pct, look at the velocity reading in mach3. Look at the pct in homing page.

I did use 1/8 super magnets for accuracy, seemed to pay off.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Stevos758 View Post
    Alright got mine working. Almost. Everything is repeatable except the z axis. I slowed it down to 20% speed. Still position is off by a mm or so. Any ideas as to what is happening or what I can try.

My bad. I meant x axis. I miss typed on my phone. I'll get a pic of my setup later.

Quote Originally Posted by hollisin View Post
    Steve,

my homing settings are
    X 20pct of 750 = 150, air gap is 1/16
    Y 10pct of 750 = 75, air gap is 1/16
    Z 60pct of 31 = 18, air gap is 1/8

Haven't checked it in a while but was only .001 sometimes, mostly zero.

picture is my Z axis homing setup. The white disk has the magnet in the center flush to the surface, the black speck in the very center of the pic is the sensor. This pic is after a Z homing command.

Move each axis to near home press the arrow/pgup/dn key to move away at 100 pct, look at the velocity reading in mach3. Look at the pct in homing page.

I did use 1/8 super magnets for accuracy, seemed to pay off.

Jack
    Let me be more clear.

All axis home properly, All axis except X are perfectly repeatable. I am picking a spot on the opposite side of the table and using G00 to move it there to visually check accuracy. The Y axis movement ends up going to the same spot every time. The X is off by a MM or two in random directions each time? It will never go back to the exact same position even though I keep using the same G00 command(examle G00 y-500 x-320)

The only thing I can possible come up with is there is a capscrew right next to my Hall switch. Could this somehow throw off the magnetic field?

I cant wait to get this working! Hopefully someone here can help.

Super magnets actually make the HAL sensor work less reliably.

I see. I'll see if a smaller or regular magnet solves the issue.

I use a strip magnet, which is very weak. It needs to be very close to the sensor (<1mm), but works very well. Also, the sensor detects the magnet from the South pole I think. The strip magnet works well for this, as one edge is S, and the other is N.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I did get it working. I needed to use 550ohm resistors instead of the 2.2k. They work fine now.

I just need to figure out how I want to perm mount them now.

Page 54 of 63 4445253545556