585,930 active members*
3,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

GD Tools and BLDC Motors

Hi.

I recently tested one of my 4 BLDC Motors which are driven by an VSD-XE 160.

I have put in all the motor data and when i start the test the motor is rotating. Im not sure however its acting like it should.

the motor i testing is one of thishttp://www.anaheimautomation.com/pro...&tID=96&cID=22 and the encoder is this http://www.anaheimautomation.com/man...%20Channel.pdf

this is what the test says when its done

the motors have according to the manuals 8 poles and i suppose i should have 5000 as PPR?
    Is it something wrong or is the test designed to test just 4 poles?

the motor spins smoothly in maby 3 secs and then when its a half of revolution left it takes like 5 steps or something to complete the whole revolution. Is it suppose to be like this or is it something wrong with my setup? (i've have tripplechecked the cables and they are as they should).

The test can't detect pole count so it assumes 4 poles and it got 2502 counts which means it would be ~5000 counts (1250 PPR) with 8 pole motor.

For your motor the correct settings are:
    -Motor type: AC
    -Poles: 8
    -Encoder PPR: 1250

Ok. Thanx for clearing that up. But im gonna put in Bldc as motor type right, cus it is a bldc motor.
    Just to be sure, is the motor suppose to rotate in "steps" when i run the test?
    Thanx.

I still recommend AC, it makes even BLDC motors run smoother. Also motor test runs smoothly if you choose AC mode.

BLDC mode is there just to emulate low end drives.

Terro,
    I just want to be certain I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that one can configure and run a bldc motor as an ac servo and will get improved performance, correct? also, does it make any difference if it is wired in y or delta?

Quote Originally Posted by Montabelli View Post
    Terro,
    I just want to be certain I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that one can configure and run a bldc motor as an ac servo and will get improved performance, correct? also, does it make any difference if it is wired in y or delta?
    Yes you can, and no difference in winding configurations. BLDC motor is AC motor. Just voltage waveform may be slightly different.