585,982 active members*
4,385 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > HAAS VF2 vector spindle drive

HAAS VF2 vector spindle drive

Hi all.

The 20/15 vector spindle drive of our VF2 is dead, according to the technician.

Does anybody know of any company that might repair this drive?. I want to try to avoid the cost of a complete new one, suggested by the technicia.

Thanks a lot for the help.

The vector drive is full of common, industrial parts (at least in the USA). The only piece in there that could fail that is not commonly available is the logic board.

There is a DC power supply inside that is known to fail. The capacitors could short. The contactor could go bad. The main IGBTs or the braking IGBT could go bad. The rectifier bridge could fail short or open. All of these components have screw terminals or plugs and are easily replaceable. The problem is being comfortable enough with electronics to diagnose each of them and determine which might be bad.

You might be able to get somebody in Argentina to fix it unless you're truly comfortable taking it apart and trying to repair it.

What exactly is happening? What error numbers?
    Greg

Thanks Greg. According to the technician, the problem is in the triggering stage of one of the IGBTs. Apparently it is a hybrid circuit designed/manufactured by Haas which is not sold separately, and it seems that it is not possible to know what kind of circuitry is inside of it. That is why I'm looking for someone mainly in USA who could probably repair the drive.
    Thanks again.

OK, yes, if that's true, it's probably not repairable by anybody. Haas doesn't even sell that version of the Vector Drive anymore (my first one failed and the replacement is a new design).

The IGBT trigger circuitry is part of the main logic board. It's all surface mount technology and it's complicated to repair. That's why I doubt anybody can repair the drive if that's truly the problem.

Of course, this all assumes that the diagnosis was correct. If he was wrong and it's just a bad IGBT, the drive might be very repairable. It might be that the DC power supply inside might be failing and not supplying enough current for the logic board. That might look like a logic failure but, not be.

I'd say that your options are:

1. Send it to a company who can check it out and give you an estimate for repair. If it's the logic board and they can't fix it, you're not any worse off. There are companies in the US who repair them. There was another thread about this only a week ago. There's a link in that thread to a repair company.
    2. Get somebody who is handy with electronics to take yours apart and verify that the diodes, IBGTs, capacitors and DC power supply are all functioning correctly.
    3. Just get a replacement from Haas. This obviously isn't the cheapest but, it will get you up and running the soonest.
    Greg

Try this company out of North Carolina: http://www.industrialelectronicrepai...ive_Repair.htm

I have not used them or endorse them at all but thought I would check them out some day if the need came up.

Research them and let us know your feedback as many would be interested.

Good luck with the repairs.

crococh,

Was this a Haas technician and how did he come to the conclusion that is a problem with the IGBT?

Vector Drives are technically "not field servicable" according to Haas factory, so most techs just verify that it is dead and replace it.

Thanks for the info, I will contact them. He told me that after some tests he carried out on the machine itself. As soon as I have any news regarding the repair, I will post.

Vector Spindle Drive

We have a repair facility for vector drives.

Have you sent your out for repair?

Let us know if you are still needing this repaired -

Precision Spindle & Accessories Inc.

www.precisionspindleinc.com tel. 519 671 3911
    [email protected] fax. 519 652 5994