585,578 active members*
4,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > should I buy Mastercam
Page 1 of 2 12

should I buy Mastercam

I own a Machine shop using Mazaks and Milltronics CNC Machines. Some of my operators were asking about buying Mastercam. I draw all of our parts in autocad Inventor 3D. Im just trying to find out what Mastercam can do for my company?

Mastercam is a very great and valueable tool for any shop. It is expensive so be ready for the plunge. Be sure to negotiate for post processors. You will want custom posts build for each machine.

Quote Originally Posted by atvpartsmaker View Post
    I own a Machine shop using Mazaks and Milltronics CNC Machines. Some of my operators were asking about buying Mastercam. I draw all of our parts in autocad Inventor 3D. Im just trying to find out what Mastercam can do for my company?
    MasterCAM is great, but you have to see Mastercam yourself and make judment, because the bottom line is it's your money.

BTW, what do you guy use to program so far? CAD/CAM is not for every shop.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

the 3 MMM's

Mazak-Mastercam-Machining!!!

I been doing Mazak and mastercam EIA or Mazatrol in mastercam, I started a consulting business 15 months ago and if you want some free advice on the subject shoot me a emailat [email protected] I would be very happy to talk with you about it all. At no cost to you.

It is very hard to make a decision with the CAM software, just start calling reps and scheduling on site Demos and get quotes. Just let them know you are looking at other packages and the prices will flatten out. I can say that if you buy BobCad or Dolphin both are a joke. We run mastercam but make sure your posts are 100% before you release the check.

MasterCam

MasterCam is a top of the line program. It can import files well using several different formats with out errors for programs like Rhino or Autocad. The surfacing programs work very well also. It does have a bit of a learning curve but it is a very well designed system. Also the cost is enough that you will need to be a serious user.

Quote Originally Posted by smorris View Post
    MasterCam is a top of the line program. It can import files well using several different formats with out errors for programs like Rhino or Autocad. The surfacing programs work very well also. It does have a bit of a learning curve but it is a very well designed system. Also the cost is enough that you will need to be a serious user.
    I have to argue with you on the import working fine, I cannot import Solidworks 2010 in the native .sldprt format. You have to do a work around and save it in a parasolid format, not very impressive for $17,000 worth of software.

Keep in mind, you cant buy a Chevy Cavalier and expect it to go 200 MPH. Mastercam provides more than a dolphin or bobcad but costs about 10x more. If you bought bobcad or dolphin expecting it to compete with 10k software, that's pretty idiotic. I will say that I use dolphin every day and wouldn't trade it for anything. We also use surfcam which is around the same as mastercam. Surfcam is great for a 3d modeling and multiaxis needs. There a time and place for both. I wouldnt be so negative about lower end systems, sometimes its best to take a look in the mirror and realize you could be the problem and not to always blame others.

Quote Originally Posted by harley4ever View Post
    Keep in mind, you cant buy a Chevy Cavalier and expect it to go 200 MPH. Mastercam provides more than a dolphin or bobcad but costs about 10x more. If you bought bobcad or dolphin expecting it to compete with 10k software, that's pretty idiotic. I will say that I use dolphin every day and wouldn't trade it for anything. We also use surfcam which is around the same as mastercam. Surfcam is great for a 3d modeling and multiaxis needs. There a time and place for both. I wouldnt be so negative about lower end systems, sometimes its best to take a look in the mirror and realize you could be the problem and not to always blame others.
    I am not being negative, just stating the facts as they are. Dolphin never supplied us with post that would work, then after several weeks would not refund our purchase price. That's not Dolphin's fault, it's the the USA reps fault that this has turned in to a bad deal. Dolphin should have dumped the ex-BobCAd clown and found a real rep. The only good version of BobCad was the old DOS version 12, the company founder wrote it and it is rock solid. I had to go back and use it many times because the later versions just would not work.

Surfcam will be on our list when we get ready to migrate, I have heard many good things about it. Another one that was recommended to us was feature cam. Gibbs came out a few years ago and the rep had an el cheapo laptop that crashed 3 times during the demo. I wish we had it on video, then they actually sent me a quote for around $20,000

I've tried several version of bobcad starting at 19 till now and find every single one of them clumsy as all get. It seems to be more of a money hungry business than anything. That's just my input. For the majority of our machining, we find dolphin to be very efficient and obviosuly for more complex machining, surfcam is quite a dandy. Im sure youll feel the same after you test run with it.

Hi all, I'm a Mastercam user and I'm feeling quite comfortable with that. It's a powerful system with a lot of useful functions, no question about it. At my previous employer I was a Surfcam user and I can't deny that sometimes today when I'm having trouble (especially with post processors) I really wish that I was still a Surfcam user. Whatever I wanted the postprocessor to output I could change it all by myself because it was so simple. Mastercam is NOT the system for a guy who wants to do those changes by himself, but if you're patient enough to wait for help, you will appreciate the system. To be honest I can recommend both Surfcam and Mastercam.

Quote Originally Posted by Limpan View Post
    Hi all, I'm a Mastercam user and I'm feeling quite comfortable with that. It's a powerful system with a lot of useful functions, no question about it. At my previous employer I was a Surfcam user and I can't deny that sometimes today when I'm having trouble (especially with post processors) I really wish that I was still a Surfcam user. Whatever I wanted the postprocessor to output I could change it all by myself because it was so simple. Mastercam is NOT the system for a guy who wants to do those changes by himself, but if you're patient enough to wait for help, you will appreciate the system. To be honest I can recommend both Surfcam and Mastercam.
    If mastercam was not so secretive about "the post" alot of the us would not be very unhappy. That is how they keep the reps in business, after the sale mods and training. Pretty lame model considering the number of CAM companies fighting for top slot in a contracted market. They did provide me with V9 Post info on .pdf after alot of crying about it, but we purchased X2 and the V9 book still did not have all the correct syntax or the details needed for X2, pretty much useless.

Quote Originally Posted by foxsquirrel View Post
    I have to argue with you on the import working fine, I cannot import Solidworks 2010 in the native .sldprt format. You have to do a work around and save it in a parasolid format, not very impressive for $17,000 worth of software.
    If you are still using old ver. of Mastercam that is true but if you pay your maintenance every year then you should be on X4 mu3. I hear people complain that they shouldn’t have to do this not saying you should however it is a useful tool not only you get the latest upgrades for 500-1500 a year for 1 seat, you can just give it to your tax guy and write it off. To me it really isn’t a huge cost to stay up to date, with software you should be running the latest and greatest and YOU GET SUPORT and 1 FREE class a year seems easy to me.
    I think everyone works different and really everyone should do what is best for them. I have spent the last year and 3 months working with customers that have all Mazaks and they have bought Mastercam. In my opinion they are the best combination out there right know. You have the best of both worlds and in a machine shop versatility wins in any type of shop PERIOD. The best part about MAZAK and Mastercam is you can even buy the post that allows you to program MAZATROL in Mastercam for the older machines that do not run EIA very well if at all. Or you can go full EIA on the machines that can take EIA. Every software out there has its good points and bad however all software out there that is worth its weight charges you maintenance to keep up with the advancements.

try buying the basics first and if you have use for the full version I suppose you can upgraded later .

OPPS maybe I way a little late to give my input on this sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by cob View Post
    try buying the basics first and if you have use for the full version I suppose you can upgraded later .

OPPS maybe I way a little late to give my input on this sorry.
    That was the mistake I made, the level 2 is fine if you only want to do things that are very simple like plates with slots, contouring the perimeters and simple pocket jobs. We needed to make patterns and level 2 lacks all the toolpaths for full 3D contouring, so their was another $3500 for level 3..... I tried very hard to work around the level 2 limitations and found that to be futile, after the time spent and frustration $3500 started to look cheap relative to all of that.

If mastercam was not so secretive about "the post" alot of the us would not be very unhappy. That is how they keep the reps in business, after the sale mods and training. Pretty lame model considering the number of CAM companies fighting for top slot in a contracted market. They did provide me with V9 Post info on .pdf after alot of crying about it, but we purchased X2 and the V9 book still did not have all the correct syntax or the details needed for X2, pretty much useless.
    Did you rep tell you about the Documentation folder that contains info on the post updates that you refer to. look now. also have you gone over to Mastercam Forum and asked how to change some thing on a post or even here. most of use if we know will help at know cost.

]If mastercam was not so secretive about "the post" alot of the us would not be very unhappy.
    Have you contacted the post department at CNC about help. I hear allot from you about the posts but sounds like you have not really tried. I do agree when closing the deal with the dealer talk to them if they don't ask you first what machines you have and will you need posts. Thats how I worked and made sure my customers new upfront what was a cost and what was not and there option and basic costs at the time of the Demo..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Hi your right i do remember being floored by the surprises after i purchaced what was a full program or so i thought. It didnt include all the import files like step for example so you couldnt import them.
    Steve

Well sounds like Steve you bought back years ago in the early V8 ot V9 days and Step was a cost as it cost CNC to have the support. As of V9.1 mr105 it was given and now is included. the only one that are add-ons are Catia and Pro-e as those company's want good moneys for CNC to offer it.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by inkydo69 View Post
    The best part about MAZAK and Mastercam is you can even buy the post that allows you to program MAZATROL in Mastercam for the older machines that do not run EIA very well if at all.
    How much you you pay for Mazak Post since I say you have one? and is it work well with Mill/turn?
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRim View Post
    How much you you pay for Mazak Post since I say you have one? and is it work well with Mill/turn?
    Sorry not sure what the cost is off hand I let my customers work out there prices. I just had access to it for a few months to setup the system for my customer. I know you can use lathe, now how well mill/turn works not for sure, you can call your dealer to get info on it.

Page 1 of 2 12