585,914 active members*
3,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: SprutCam

SprutCam

I am considering buying a PCNC1100 and have downloaded the SprutCAM software that I would like to use. However, I have had nothing but memory errors and crashing from the program. I have tried running the program in XP compatibility mode with no luck, can't get very far without it locking up and crashing.

For those who own Tormach machines is there another CAM package that will work priced about like SprutCAM..

I have been emailing Tormach and I realize if purchased Mach will not run on 64bit, I don't mind getting a 32bit computer/program for the machine, but my design machines I use mainly for CAD or other software is Vista Ultimate 64.

I want to make sure I have a good CAD>CAM path before making my final decision and purchase.

I am using SprutCAM 7 on a Dell T3500 running 64 bit Windows 7 professional OS, 3.3Ghz Xeon quad processor, 12Gb ram with no problems. SprutCAM 7 also runs well on my machine running Windows 7 (32 bit) OS. BTW also running Solidworks 2010 SP2.1 ( both 64 bit and 32 bit) with no problems.
    I don't run Vista on any of my machines only Windows 7 (64 &32 bit) or XP (32 bit) for the Mach 3 with the Tormach so I don't know what problems Vista may have.

Don Clement

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    I am using SprutCAM 7 on a Dell T3500 running 64 bit Windows 7 professional OS, 3.3Ghz Xeon quad processor, 12Gb ram with no problems. SprutCAM 7 also runs well on my machine running Windows 7 (32 bit) OS.
    BTW I don't run Vista on any of my machines only Windows 7 (64 &32 bit) or XP (32 bit) so I don't know what problems Vista may have.

Don Clement
    Probably should have gave my machine specs, as I am a computer game programmer as well.

Vista Ultimate 64
    Intel Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz
    8GB DDR3-1600 (yes, overclocked)
    Dual NVidia GTX-280s Overclocked with 1GB each running SLI
    (and I use full water splash in my computer to keep it cool)

Getting Memory errors it may be a problem running in SLI mode as some programs do not like that or the fact I am running in multi-monitor (for instance NX5,NX6 does not support multi-monitor).

Good to hear others are not having issues on W7. My system is overclocked, but this is memory error violations which is odd.

I have downloaded RhinoCAM or VisualMill to try as well.

Magnum164
    I also recently downloaded SprutCam for evaluation. I have had no trouble with it on Win 7.
    It is entirely possible that it really does have memory errors. It might be worth it to run Memtest 86+ just to be sure.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

I have been running SprutCam 7 on either my IBM T43 laptop or a Dell 670 desktop with no major issues. I do have the all-post version so don't know if that makes a difference.

Several of us here have looked at many other CAM programs and have decided that for Tormach owners the deal on SC would be very hard to beat. SC does have a few minor bugs but most can be worked around. SC generally have several updates throughout the year with nice improvements and bug fixes.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    Probably should have gave my machine specs, as I am a computer game programmer as well.

Vista Ultimate 64
    Intel Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz
    8GB DDR3-1600 (yes, overclocked)
    Dual NVidia GTX-280s Overclocked with 1GB each running SLI
    (and I use full water splash in my computer to keep it cool)

Getting Memory errors it may be a problem running in SLI mode as some programs do not like that or the fact I am running in multi-monitor (for instance NX5,NX6 does not support multi-monitor).

Good to hear others are not having issues on W7. My system is overclocked, but this is memory error violations which is odd.

I have downloaded RhinoCAM or VisualMill to try as well.
    BTW SprutCAM 7 requires the video card should be open-GL capable (OpenGL 1.5) 128 MB

I am running an Nvidia Quadro FX 3800 (1Gb) with dual monitors on my 64 bit workstation with no problems using SprutCAM 7. I set my workstation up to be compatible with Solidworks 2010 that has been tested by Solidworks that approved the Nvidia Quadro FX 3800. I optimized the workstation not for gaming but for business applications such as Solidworks, Adobe CS4, SprutCAM, etc.

BTW anyone remember the game called Adventure that still runs on my vintage 1981 IBM PC in DOS on the green screen CRT monitor? You know the one with the plover's egg and the cave with the magic word "XYZZY" and A hollow voice says "Plugh".

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_M View Post
    Magnum164
    I also recently downloaded SprutCam for evaluation. I have had no trouble with it on Win 7.
    It is entirely possible that it really does have memory errors. It might be worth it to run Memtest 86+ just to be sure.

Scott
    SprutCAM has sent me another link with an updated version to download and try, will give it a shot later tonight.

It's not system memory errors as this system is stressed everyday on memory and no issues, I could run memtest86, but it is also unreliable. It is probably more of a memory conflict with another application. If it was my memory I would be crashing all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    BTW SprutCAM 7 requires the video card should be open-GL capable (OpenGL 1.5) 128 MB

I am running an Nvidia Quadro FX 3800 (1Gb) with dual monitors on my 64 bit workstation with no problems using SprutCAM 7. I set my workstation up to be compatible with Solidworks 2010 that has been tested by Solidworks that approved the Nvidia Quadro FX 3800. I optimized the workstation not for gaming but for business applications such as Solidworks, Adobe CS4, SprutCAM, etc.

BTW anyone remember the game called Adventure that still runs on my vintage 1981 IBM PC in DOS on the green screen CRT monitor? You know the one with the plover's egg and the cave with the magic word "XYZZY" and A hollow voice says "Plugh".
    I forgot to setup SprutCAM for OpenGL, I am running DX10. At one time I had two system logins one for programming (development drivers) and the other for design software (CAD, ect...). It is very possible it does not like some of my settings.. So I will recheck later tonight.

I am using Rhino and downloaded RhinoCam so a very tough call between them.

[QUOTE=
    BTW anyone remember the game called Adventure that still runs on my vintage 1981 IBM PC in DOS on the green screen CRT monitor? You know the one with the plover's egg and the cave with the magic word "XYZZY" and A hollow voice says "Plugh".[/QUOTE]

In 1981 I was an avid C64 and C128 geek

Well after trying a few builds from SprutCAM and not being able to install the last one, waiting to hear back if their software truly is Vista compatible. Noticed it is W7 compatible as most on this thread are running W7.

So I will be going back to my original question to see if there are others using something other then SprutCAM. I am very close to pulling the trigger on RhinoCAM instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    Well after trying a few builds from SprutCAM and not being able to install the last one, waiting to hear back if their software truly is Vista compatible. Noticed it is W7 compatible as most on this thread are running W7.

So I will be going back to my original question to see if there are others using something other then SprutCAM. I am very close to pulling the trigger on RhinoCAM instead.
    Hmmm... I may have found the issue. Want to do some testing, but for now I can honestly review the program without crashing.....