585,981 active members*
4,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Home/Limit configuration in Mach3

Many thanx to the community.

Final I built my first CNC with all the info from this site. It is still not up-to the mark but at least I built something. :-)
    The details of the machine are as follow (just to give you some idea).

- 2 stepper for X-axes
    - 1 stepper for y-axes
    - 1 stepper for z-axes
    - Separate Home switch for each axes but NO Limit switch
    - L297/298 based drive controller

Now I'm fighting to configure Mach3 for my machine. Seems it is the hardest part for me! Buddy please help me, I'm having folllowing trouble -

1. Motor is humming after configured in Mach3 but they are moving with jog button
    2. Configured all of the Home switches but cannot realize to configure the soft limit (as I don't have physical limit switch)

Appreciate your help.

Hello ranju,
    Once you have the Home switches set up correctly you do not need limit switches on the axis also. Mach3 will let you specify the travel from the Home position in both the minus and positive directions to use for the soft limits. If you know the total travel for the axis and where the Home is located you can figure how far it is to the soft limit for both the + and - directions and key those into the soft limits. You will want to provide a small buffer zone for each direction so the screw does not reach the end before stopping.
    Always home each axis before using so that Mach will know where they are and your positioning should be fine.

Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by metalworkz View Post
    Hello ranju,
    Once you have the Home switches set up correctly you do not need limit switches on the axis also. Mach3 will let you specify the travel from the Home position in both the minus and positive directions to use for the soft limits. If you know the total travel for the axis and where the Home is located you can figure how far it is to the soft limit for both the + and - directions and key those into the soft limits. You will want to provide a small buffer zone for each direction so the screw does not reach the end before stopping.
    Always home each axis before using so that Mach will know where they are and your positioning should be fine.

Regards,
    hello metalworkz,

thank you so much.
    please guide me where to configure this soft limit (sorry, I'm a newbe).

regards

Hello,
    In Mach3 under the Config tab, in the drop down menu select Homing and Limits.
    this will pop up the Motor Home/SoftLimits setup menu and if you are using a 3 axis machine you will want to key in the Soft Max and Soft Min dimensions for each axis(X,Y, and Z) You can also key in the Slow Zone so when the machines nears the soft limits is will slow down some. I hope this helps, but keep asking if you need more info. Did you set up the Home switches with the Automated setup in Mach?

Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Good luck, I have to sign off for now. I will check back later today.
    Regards,
    Wes

Hi ranju,

Were you able to get the soft limits configured OK?
    Regards,
    Wes

Sorry buddy, I couldn't test and reply soon. I worked up to a late hour in office yesterday.

I'm actually slowly-slowly getting things though still I couldn't manage to set the soft limits. I attached here some pics of my config. Hoping it will help to have your expert guidence. :-)
    One thing I'm not yet getting is the SoftMax and SoftMin, I was thinging that, SoftMin is the home zone and SoftMax is the end zone. But my trial proved me wrong. Your comment please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails output.jpg   soft-limit.jpg   input.jpg  

Hi ranju,
    Say you have 18" travel for an axis and you position your home switch at 9.0".
    Then you have a Soft Min of -9.00 and a Soft Max or + 9.00. You need to figure the total travel and then figure how much travel to the minus and plus sides of the Home switch and then input them into the fields on the forms. Don't forget you might want to use the slow zone also to slow the axis down as it approaches the limit.
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

ArtSoft has some tutorial videos that are helpful:
    http://www.machsupport.com/videos/

There is a Homing, Limits and Offsets video that will walk you through the configuration.

Sorry, I see that Morfius suggested to go to the link under Homing, Limits and offsets. he's right it is explained best there.

HOME SWITCHES

Hi,
    I am having the opposite problem; I can set soft limits easily, but having hard time getting it to home to the home switch which is also my hard limits.

I have one proximity switch per axis set to NO, so when it reaches end it will off and stop the machine, however I can’t get the machine to automatically home to these switches and then move off them, I am sure there is something I am missing maybe a button sequence or something really obvious.

I just want to home the machine to its physical switches?

Any help is greatly appreciated ( I watched the movie and its all about soft limits, cant find anything else on web about hard limits and mach3, any guidance is welcome).///2 year design nearly one year slowly

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMatt View Post
    Hi,
    I am having the opposite problem; I can set soft limits easily, but having hard time getting it to home to the home switch which is also my hard limits.

I have one proximity switch per axis set to NO, so when it reaches end it will off and stop the machine, however I can’t get the machine to automatically home to these switches and then move off them, I am sure there is something I am missing maybe a button sequence or something really obvious.

I just want to home the machine to its physical switches?

Any help is greatly appreciated ( I watched the movie and its all about soft limits, cant find anything else on web about hard limits and mach3, any guidance is welcome).///2 year design nearly one year slowly
    Check to make sure each switch (input) is also listed as a home switch under the inputs tab of the ports and pins tab.

Problem found

Cheers VTX1029,

I found this straight after I posted, by playing with the machine/mach3 a bit more (I hated to be working on the machine without the limits and homes working right).

Seems after the limits are also ticked as homes the home ref works as it should.

A lot to learn with this MACH3, hope to build an updated UI for it if I cant find a decent one when I start looking today.