585,585 active members*
3,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

General advice and equipment advice

I'm looking to start a business/hobby manufacturing firearms. I'm an experienced computer programmer (C++ language for Unix/Linux) with little to some experience machining.

I'm active duty USAF and I'm going to use the active duty GI Bill to attend a certificate program for CNC Machining at Arkansas State University Beebe (outside of Little Rock AFB). This is to gain knowledge of CNC machining to add to my knowledge of computer programming.

The materials will be mostly 6061 aluminum; however, I'll need to turn barrels, mill bolts, and mill other parts of 410 stainless steel and 4150 steel.

I'm interested in a CNC lathe and CNC mill. I'll also need an assortment of cutting tools and work holding tools.

My limitation will be that I'll run these machines in my garage with 240V single phase power.

So far I've looked at the Haas Minimill and Haas Toolroom TL-1. I would buy the coolant pump kit for both and the chip enclosure for the TL-1. For over $60,000 in Haas equipment, I'm not impressed with a 6 month warranty.

I would appreicate any general advice and advice on makes and models of mills, lathes, cutting tools, and work holding tools.

if you are looking at a mini mill and a tool room lathe you are doing smaller stuff. Is the Haas equipment new or used. Haas is a good machine. Alot depends on how much you want to spend. I have used Haas, Mazak, Makino, Okuma, Mori-Seki, Milltronic and alot more. I thought all were good machines each had there own differences. If i were you i would start looking at some used equipment there are alot of places going out of business these days an you can find some killer deals on machines. they might be a little bigger then what you need but if you ever need it you have it. You can always run thing of a phase converter. Tooling there are all kinds of tooling everyone like something different. I have been using some from CGS in Ohio and i like them alot. You will need 2 or 3 flute carbide endmill for aluminum and 4 flute carbide for stainless Just get hooked up with a local tooling supplier and they can help you with that. Vises i would go with Kurt. I like Techniks tool holder alot ER32, ER20, and ER16 but there are all kinds of tooling holders Paralec, Comander, and others like that. Sorry i just ramble but hope this will help

I'm not opposed to buying used equipment.

Anything bad or negative I should know about the Haas Minimill, Haas Toolroom TM-1P mill, or Haas Toolroom TL-1 lathe?

A firearm receiver or assembly can be as long as 24 inches which I'm aware is longer than the capacity of the Haas Minimill. A barrel can be as long as 26 inches which is pushing the TL-1 lathe isn't it?

Are there comparable machines from other makes in the same price range?

I don't yet know brand names. I'm interested in American, Japanese, UK, German, etc. I want to stay away from Chinese, Taiwanese, Russian, etc.

PM sent

Even though it's Taiwanese, I'm thinking of rolling with a new South Bend manual lathe. They appear to be well built and the people behind South Bend and Grizzly have good customer service.

If would save me money as I don't really need a CNC lathe.

A Haas Mini Mill and South Bend lathe looks to me a good combo for a up and starting small biz.

Comments? Suggestions?

The very first thing to get is your FFL for manufacturing. Federal prison is no joke.

I've got the FFL squared away.