584,866 active members*
4,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Alpha-cam

Page 1 of 2 12

Alpha-cam

Does anyone have/know of any 3d (3axis) machining tutorials for alphacam,

ive read through the standard alphacam tutorial on 3d machining and didn't find it very useful.
    Ive got a basic understanding of machining 3d in alpha cam, like importing, rotating 3d models and have managed to cut basic 3d, i now have a job to cut in 3d and i need to learn what each section properly means and how to go about using the geometry from a parasolid within alphacam eg like picking the edges, and creating efficient cutting.
    The main area i need help with is choosing the correct cutting technique for the model i have..

any help will be extremly useful.

thanks guys,

Finding ANY tutorials for AlphaCAM is extremely difficult. I just started using it about 2 months ago at a new job, and unless you can figure it out from the help file, they want you to pay for training to learn how to use it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gerry is right on there. I had to learn Alphacam on my own. Been at it for 4 years now but I haven't done any real 3D work. I only have Advanced Router 2010 R1 but I can do some 3D things with it such as profiled Oval Window Trim and Crown Molding using the Side Profile Feature with ball tools. I would like to get into doing surfaces in 3D but we don't have the machine that will do it any way so I can't justify the extra expence on the software. Have you joined the Alphacam forums on the Planit web site? There are people there that have 5 axis machines and are doing 3D that would be willing to give you some hints.
    Happy Machining !
    We all live in Tents! Some live in content others live in discontent.

I need some alphacam help if you guys know anything about it. Was just at a company yesterday that needs to start using the C-axis of their machine. They have it 3 years now and it is 15 years old. The original owner never used the C-axis so they didn't even know if the post had included that feature. Having scanned through the post it I am pretty sure that it does.

Anyways my question is how do I tell alphacam about the aggregate head? I know how to add tools to the regular 3-axis spindle. But what do I do to add horizontal cutters and to define how big the aggregate is, and where the tool is in relation to it?

They also have something I am not used to seeing. In Advanced simulation you can see the tool holder and the tool. I haven't ever seen this before, it was always just the tool in my previous experience. Can I draw the tool holder in somehow?

Can't help with the aggregate, but when you define a tool, there's a checkbox that let's you choose the toolholder drawing. Be sure the drawing is on the screen before defining the tool. In our older Version 7, it doesn't appear you can add the toolholder graphic to an existing tool. You need to create a new one from scratch.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You need to go to your add ins menu and add the Aggregate Tooling feature. From there you can define it and use it.
    You can select from various toolholders or you can draw a crosssection of it. You will also have to create and define your machine.
    You have a lot of work to do...........

Thanks for the swift replys guys, very helpful as I didn't know where to start.

I'm at home using Graduate router V7 so I haven't got all the features that I need. I've got the tool holder graphic figured out now, not too painful.

Should their be an add-ins menu? Or do you mean Utils>Special functions.
    The company I am trying to do this for has V6 standard edition. Is the aggregate tooling feature free or must it be purchased as an extra?

Just got them too look it up in V6. Utils>Add-ins. There isn't an Aggregate Tooling feature.

Can I get on to Licom and get this? I presume it will cost a few pound.

The Aggregate Tooling feature is free but only available with I think ver 7.5 and up. Licom or Planit as it were, no longer supports earlier versions of Alphacam.
    So you will not get anywhere with them. You will have to upgrade to the new version to get your aggregate tooling to work.
    Yes your add-ins is in the Utilities menu at the bottom. Just put a check mark in the box next to the feature that you want and it will be added. No charge !

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    The Aggregate Tooling feature is free but only available with I think ver 7.5 and up. Licom or Planit as it were, no longer supports earlier versions of Alphacam.
    So you will not get anywhere with them. You will have to upgrade to the new version to get your aggregate tooling to work.
    Yes your add-ins is in the Utilities menu at the bottom. Just put a check mark in the box next to the feature that you want and it will be added. No charge !
    How did people run aggregates in the older versions if it cannot be done in this way?

I used to run and program a Thermwood Turret model that had Horizontal drilling. I had to write sub routines in order to use that tooling. So I think you can do horizontal drilling but Machining contours with an Aggregate head is all together different. I don't use Aggregate tooling. I have looked into modifying the machine but my Company said it was too expensive ($17,000.00) right now. Do you have the Aggregate add-in with ver 7 ? If so, turn it on and play with it. Watch the simulator and see if it works the way you expect it to.

I don't have that add on for some reason. Is there any way I can get it?

No. You have to upgrade your current version of AlphaCam to get it. That add on as well as many others and a lot more features are free with the upgrade plus you will get your support working so you can get technical addvise from planit as well as training if you need it (at extra cost though).
    In my Opinion the latest release of AlphaCam 2010 R1 is the greatest. It is "Feature Rich" and makes life a lot easier with the programming.

Hi
    Im totally new to CNC and Alpha cam, we have Bought a wadkin ux twin head we also have a pc with alphacam standard and alpha edit pre installed, we are having lots of problems trying to get them to talk to each other has anybody got any help for me it has a bosch cc100 controlle, everytime we try and send the gcode over to it it comes up with an error on the wadkin error 216 incorrect file format

Re: Need Help! Alpha-Cam

Not sure if this helps but these are the Alphacam RS232 transfer parameters for a Bosch CC100

In AlphaEDIT

File-Configure-DNC/RS232...
    click on 'Add'

On the 'RS232' tab
    'Name' CC100-Direct
    'Port' select correct port m/c is connected to
    'Baud Rate' 4800
    'Parity' Even
    'Data Bits' 7
    'Stop Bits' 1
    Tick 'Hardware Handshake'
    Tick 'Software Handshake'

On the 'Codes' tab
    'Codes to send'
    'BEFORE SENDING program' ^B^M^J
    'AFTER SENDING program' ^C^M^J^D^M^J

'When sending, end each line with'
    Tick 'CR+LF'

On 'Format' tab
    Tick 'Send SPACES to machine'
    'Send/Receive data in' ASCII

Also have Post Processors if interested for:
    Bosch CC100 with DFS Header Line
    Bosch CC100 with Original Format Header Line
    Bosch CC120
    Bosch CC200 Machine Wadkin Router

Hope this helps.

Smile

Hi Mate
    thanks for this, Im still having problems even though I have set everything as your details below Ive tried it with the cc100 header and cc100 dfs pre installed on alphacam v5, the only one which comes up with the error code is the cc100 header with the drives on, everything else Ive tried just goes on and on and on as if its still transferring, would it be possible to get the other posts from you so I could try them

cheers

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by FrankCNC View Post
    Not sure if this helps but these are the Alphacam RS232 transfer parameters for a Bosch CC100

In AlphaEDIT

File-Configure-DNC/RS232...
    click on 'Add'

On the 'RS232' tab
    'Name' CC100-Direct
    'Port' select correct port m/c is connected to
    'Baud Rate' 4800
    'Parity' Even
    'Data Bits' 7
    'Stop Bits' 1
    Tick 'Hardware Handshake'
    Tick 'Software Handshake'

On the 'Codes' tab
    'Codes to send'
    'BEFORE SENDING program' ^B^M^J
    'AFTER SENDING program' ^C^M^J^D^M^J

Tick 'CR+LF'

On 'Format' tab
    Tick 'Send SPACES to machine'
    'Send/Receive data in' ASCII

Also have Post Processors if interested for:
    Bosch CC100 with DFS Header Line
    Bosch CC100 with Original Format Header Line
    Bosch CC120
    Bosch CC200 Machine Wadkin Router

Hope this helps.

Re: Need Help! Alpha-cam

G'day,
    As I'm self taught with Alphacam I'm no expert but I don't believe the post processors have anything to do with the data transfer from PC to m/c unless some code is required in "$10 File LEADING lines" and "$17 File TRAILING lines" of the post file (i.e. Fanuc controllers need the % sign at the end of the program)

$17 File TRAILING Lines
    %

I've had nothing to do with the attached posts as I mainly work with Fanuc, Siemens and Heidenhain and have created my own posts to suit our machines and my programming style.
    If you need help with editing the Post Processors let me know.

Try this with the transfer parameters as the following was grayed out due to CR+LF being active.

'Codes'
    UNtick 'CR+LF'
    'End of Line Codes' ^M^J

Regards,

Frank
    Attached Files Attached Files

alphacam furniture project

I am looking for some samples of alphacam furniture projects. Please let me know if there is a resource for download.

Thank you so much for your help.
    Kirill.

Mawdew,

Are you having the problem once you have sent the program to the machine if you look at the program I have attached it has RB in black at the beginning then under the program it has C D T on seperate lines also in black this tells the machine controller it is the end of the data transfer.

I've attached a post with it in as well it is a wadkin CC120.

Any probs give me a shout.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wadkin UX 2612 CNC Router with cc120

Hi,

im fairly new to all this, have been reading up on cnc's on and off for a couple of years, considering the diy route ect, and recently found an offer i couldn't refuse, a cnc router with tool changer, and a bed size larger than 8'x4'

anyway i would like to use this machine with cam software and initaly was under the impression that it would be fairly straight foward :

import model
    generate cutting paths
    post process
    send g-code over rs232

all via the same software.

am i thinking along the right lines? the previous owners of the machine were using cam software ( pretty outdated i think) and relyed on using some software that only worked in dos ( proper dos) to send the g-code over parallel port to the cc120

im currently trying to find out if i can use more recent cam software, if the parallel port is the only way to send g-code to the cc120 ( i have only seen parallel ports on the machine) or if there's something im missing, or can get a 232 card or something for the cc120,

with the above, and opting to decomission/recomission the machine myself i wonder if i have bitten off more than i can chew,

any help / advice muchly appreciated.

cheers

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12