584,837 active members*
5,959 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Only non-ferrous metals???

Only non-ferrous metals???

In my research, I've seen the majority (actually all, but i'm leaving room for hope) of places say that you can engrave and work with non-ferrous metals. I'm learning so correct me if I'm wrong in saying that steel is ferrous, and therefore, you cannot/should not attempt to mill any steel parts with a cnc mill.

A blanket statement like I just made usually doesn't hold up in all situations. I am sure there are some that will say "If you want to mill metal, make a CNC mill, not a CNC router." Of course that's an oversimplified response to a not-as-simple question.

I, like so many others here, care about costs and if I can get a CNC router to do double duty, I will. What I love about DIY-ers is that most believe "If it can be done, then it should be done...at least once."

My questions:

1. What is it about most CNC router designs that prohibt their uses on non-ferrous metals? (Maybe it's more about the metal than the cnc design)

2. What would it take to make a CNC router that could do light applications on mild steel? I'm thinking of small sprockets out of material 1/8" or 1/4" thick.

I have come to my conclusion that steel + cnc router don't mix based upon the fact that I don't find much coverage of this one websites or in forums. If this was possible, I believe I would find much more information on it than presently available.

Could it really be as simple as use the right bit at slow RPM and slow IPM?

FYI for others that find this thread...

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...NC_Router.html

What about aluminum? This is a non-ferrous metal right? I might be able to make the sprockets i'm thinking of out of aluminum.

What thickness is "too thick"? (Taking into account heat build-up, and anything else I can't currently think of.)

Typically a router is not built sturdy enough to machine most metals. When you build a machine capable of light milling, you have built a light duty MILLING machine.

Also, routers usually have speeds higher than mills. There probably is a cross over point where you could do slow routing and very light milling. Problem is, it won't do either very well.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

To cut steel you usually will need more rigidty and mass than a router has.

To cut steel you usually will need a lower rpm spindle than a router has.

To cut steel you usually need coolant, which doesn't get along well with the wood you'll also be cutting with a router.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    To cut steel you usually will need more rigidty and mass than a router has.

To cut steel you usually will need a lower rpm spindle than a router has.

To cut steel you usually need coolant, which doesn't get along well with the wood you'll also be cutting with a router.
    Add power to this also. It takes more power to push an axis and more power to spin the spindle to machine steel than aluminum. " " to machine aluminum than wood. So it takes a good bit more to do steel than wood.