585,977 active members*
4,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > MultiCam Pro 3phase conversion to single phase

MultiCam Pro 3phase conversion to single phase

I have purchased an older model MultiCam Pro router that I thought was a single phase machine due to the fact that the manufacturer stats stated "standard power 220 volts" ... now I find out that standard power to them is 3 phase.

I need some help / suggestions on how to get this machine running in my single phase shop. 3 phase is not available.
    Has anyone been down this road and can offer some input?

The machine has been purchased but not delivered as of yet so I can't open up the control cabinet and see what's what.
    It was purchased cheap enough that if a conversion is needed, it's still worth it.

I'm hoping that it's a simple matter of changing the power supply and that the spindle driver has a single phase capability.

Another option is to diy a whole new control with gecko drive. That way the whole system is no longer proprietary and run on mach3.
    I guess that will depend on the specs of the servo motors. I was told they are brushless servos.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not familiar with that machine, but there is a good chance that the controler and servo's are fed by 1 phase, the 3 phase requirement may be just the spindle, if so then you could run 240v 1 phase and use a VFD to convert to the spindle.
    More info is needed on the spindle motor and how it is presently controlled at this point however.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

i would venture to bet the servos are not in need of three phase just the spindle or the vac if it has one, can you show us some pics inside the controll box and the electrical ins and outs

what is the model number and make of the spindle and vfd
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

I was thinking / hoping that the servo control didn't require the 3 phase but am wondering about the spindle drive.
    I'll try to get info on the manufacturer of the spindle and spindle driver.
    The guy selling the machine is representing the owner and doesn't have all the information needed. It's pretty much bought over the internet by description and picture (attached).
    I'm still arranging shipping now that I found out it is approximately 4000 pounds and my trailer has a max of 1800 pounds. It's about a 6 hour drive.

The purchase also includes the vacuum hold down pump ... but will not be used for my needs. Maybe if my business grows and I move into a commercial shop.
    I just need to get the router table up and running for signage = acrylic, .040 aluminum, sign foam, etc.

I am hoping that someone has been through this or can lend a direction to get it up and running. I'm capable with electrical and electronics and willing to revamp the whole control if the power supply can't be adapted.
    The spindle is another matter that I'm clueless about. If I have to, I'll put a porter cable or hitachi router on the thing to get me in production in the interim.

Thanks for the interest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pro1.JPG  

More info:
    The spindle is described as a 9hp
    table is 5' x 12'
    vacuum 20hp (will not be used at this time)

and another pic showing the control cabinet in the background and a closer view of the double z axis and spindle.

that's about all the info I have at this time. I hope to have the machine in my shop by weeks end.

I'm trying to get a jump on what I'll need to power it up.

If there isn't a tap on the transformer that can be rewired then maybe a new one for single phase once I find out the required voltages for the servo drivers and controller board.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pro5.JPG  

another new owner of an old Multicam

Hi, I bought a 4' x 4' MG103 with 4HP spindle and 5HP vacuum pump a couple weeks ago. 1999 vintage. Definitely built like a battleship!

The first thing that threw mw off was the nameplate on the side of the control cabinet that says "460 volt 70 amps". Once I got it hooked up, I found that it pulled 8 amps max, with everything going.

On my machine the only thing that needed 460 volts was the inverter, which is spec'd at "380-480 volts". The drives are Electro-Craft "BRU-series", powered by 230V single phase from a hefty 10kva stepdown transformer mounted next to the control cabinet. If you got a copy of the "BRU master" software and you're willing to share it, I'd be extremely thankful!

I finally got mine cutting air yesterday.

I'll be watching this thread for sure!

you got yourself a workhorse!! with the dual z you can order a z bracket for the pc router from k2 (ebay) and get yourself going likety split!!

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Follow-Up

I drove to the location of the machine to make arrangements for shipping. My trailer cannot handle the load estimated at 5000 pounds + the weight of the vacuum pump another 1000 pounds.
    I was able to box up the control panel / keypad, spindle motor, tool holders and a few spare parts and bring them with me.

I was able to look at the controls, connections and table in close detail and took notes and closeup pictures of critical items I need to know about.

It seems that as suggested in my responses here, that it is in fact the only item requiring 3 phase power is the vfd spindle inverters (this machine has dual spindles instead of a tool changer). I've tried to find a reference for them on the net with no success.

The servo drives are the electrocraft bru series but I couldn't find a model number. This machine has 5 drives ... x1, x2, y, z1, z2
    Sorry Boltz, but the guy I'm buying this machine from is just a liquidator of equipment and doesn't have the software or literature needed. If I get my hands on it I'll let you know.
    I will try to get them from either MultiCam or their regional rep. The rep I spoke to knew the machine but wanted me to buy his service to have it installed and start-up. The quote of $1000 per day plus expenses is pushing my limited budget and I'm trying to work around as much as possible hopefully getting up and running on my own.

Since I'm not planning on using the vacuum pump right now, the only power will be to the controls and spindle drives.
    Plans now are to use a 3 phase converter and not mess with anything in the control cabinet but set it up to power just the spindle.
    I've found on ebay a company called elimia that has a 10hp 7.5kw unit for $487.00 that looks promising and they are located withing driving distance.
    If I go that route, I would like the converter to activate the e-stop if the power drops out to avoid tool breakage and/or part damage.

here's a pic of the control cabinet - top section with power connections.
    The cabinet is laying on the router table with all wiring still connected)

pic uploading problems

I forgot to reduce the file size and will get them up a little later today.