584,837 active members*
5,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Tooth profile for designing synchronous drive sprocket?
Page 2 of 2 12

Post It is a generated form

Quote Originally Posted by MVHPV View Post
    Thanks guys. Been there, and when clicking through the "Partview" feature for both specs & cad files, I stumbled across this:

Not all samples displayed the above, but both the 30 and 71 grove (among others) in the 8mm pitch x 12mm width, did. Needless to say, because of the critical nature of the profile, I'm a little dubious because of the warnings.
    The GT2 Polychain did not exist when I last cut cogs, I downloaded the design data & Patent data, the [x~y] co-ordinate equations are listed, and one could crunch the numbers to get the form, tolerances are given in the spec.

As posted the form is a kind of involute so each tooth count is different in form, I expect they are normally hobbed or shaped, Ash Gear has tools for most of the older types, but one has to enquire for this form, [proprietary].

In the Gates PDF downloads is an interchange doc showing the differences.

So, in my opinion the CAMBAM form is not correct.

Gates drawings are representative, not actual form, as each tooth space is different for each number of teeth, apparently they can not display the true form in a cost effective manner, because then we could just download, make a form tool and mill it that way.

As this is for yourself, not for resale you could crunch the numbers to get the profiles you want and make form tools to mill them.

Cheers,

Re: Tooth profile for designing synchronous drive sprocket?

Did you ever find the belt profile for an 8mm pitch GT2 pulley? I am in search of the same thing. I would like to make some aluminum pulleys for a boat out drive to try different belt ratios. I emailed gates directly and they sent me some of the drawings. I am trying to get them entered in fusion 360 to eventually output to the CNC mill.

Here are somethings I found so far:
    https://capolight.wordpress.com/2018.../#comment-5093

https://build-its-inprogress.blogspo...68354574899572

Re: Tooth profile for designing synchronous drive sprocket?

Here is the progress I made using Fusion 360 and the data Gates sent me for a 34 tooth GT2 tooth profile. I took the x,y values to make the circles in the first drawing. Then extruded one tooth and then did a circle mirror to get the full 34 teeth. I am going to try on the cnc soon. My only question if anyone is following this at all would be, changing the number of teeth need more than just a diameter change? I received a few tooth profile sheets and the main x,y values stay constant but there are some other values that change per size. Wondering a way to streamline this so it would be easy to change my cam model to try different sizes without having to do the trig each time. Also if you use the values of the tooth profile sheet and compare them to the ones of the downloadable 3d cad files on Gates website, they appear to be accurate. Most of the cad files will only show 1 tooth though so you will need to probably make your own cad drawing.

Page 2 of 2 12