Quote Originally Posted by blowlamp View Post
1/ Why is the standard form not suitable?
Among the many dozens I've seen, what is a 'standard' profile?
2/ Is the CAD drawing just a representation or is it to be used for manufacture?
Not sure what you mean. While Gates seems to offer the exterior dimensions in CAD drawings, I'm not convinced the drawings accurately represent the profile. But I could easily be mistaken.
3/ If the design is patented, would it be legal to make your own anyway if done commercially?
Cutting one or two prototypes for an experimental project wouldn't likely be an issue. But I certainly wouldn't mass produce any or try to market any.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
Looking at the date of the patent raises a question; Is this the CURRENT form?
Dunno. That's the reason for seeking a CAD program which may have the profile included in it's library.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
One other thing, if you can buy the sprockets, why go through all the effort to draw and make your own?
Therein lays the problem, Gates doesn't make the sprocket I need - specifically, the mounting is completely different, and I'd prefer 7075 aluminum. Yes, Gates offers "made to order" customs, but I'm guessing the costs would be beyond my budget. I also have access to local CNC should I need different ratios (a strong possibility).